New Release - WD TV Live Plus Firmware Version 1.06.42 (1/17/13)

@KennyBoy

Even after your further explanation, I still don’t completely understand how you have things arranged to do what you want it to do.  Suffice for me to say that ALL my iTunes music is on one attached drive – basically it’s a dup/backup of my complete  iTunes Media folder (and therefore there are some video files mixed it, that do no show up when I go into the music folders because I went into the front door called Music of the main menu.)  My playlists are there in a folder called Playlists, they were created with iTunes DJ  (tracks are in random order from a large library of selected albums/files that are first filtered by a “Smart” playlist in iTunes.)  I select a playlist and bingo, 100 random tracks from my music collection play one after the other.

Now, I want to watch a video, so I press Stop to kill the music, then the “home key” on the media player remote, and I am back to the main menu.  (Just ONE button was pressed to get there – I did not back out of the music folders layer by layer.)  Now, I select Videos from main menu and go select the movie to watch (that is on a second attached drive; e.g. USB2).  It all works for me, and I hope you can get things working the way you want them to for you, also.

So what firmware version did you resort back to that makes things work the way you want them to?

Bill_S wrote:

However, if still have problems accessing your shares, could you please also post answers to the following questions:

-          Are your shares private or public?

-          Have you attempted to reset to factory defaults?

-          Do your shares connect or disconnect after a power cycle?

-          How long did you wait for the share to appear, before giving up?  If you didn’t wait very long (1-2 minutes), could you try leaving it for 5-10 minutes.

As has been stated here in the community, you might want to restart your computer, if your shares are located on that computer.

Sorry if I missed it as I did not read every post in this thread, but I also have this issue but with Samba shares on Debian Linux. Not any Windows OS. I opened a support case on the issue as I have never had any problems even with my moderately complex network, until this latest firmware. After exhausing troubleshooting efforts between resetting the WDTV, restarting services on my linux box, etc, support suggested I rollback to the previous version and now everything works perfectly again, without any config/wiping or resetting needed. I asked support if there was hope to see this bug corrected as I was enjoying the ability to control my WDTV via my Android tablet and they said to post here, so I am. Given a choice between my network shares or the new Android app though, I’ll take the network shares.

So to answer your questions:

1. Public (no anonymous access, but all shares are public between the user accounts on the server).

2. Yes.

3. Neither, they never establish at all.

4. 1+ hour. My wife watched Hulu and Netflix then checked between shows and there was no change.

I would be very happy to provide any worthwhile testing or data captures (tcpdump, whatever) if it would help resolve this. I really do miss using the Android app, but I’m not willing to sacrifice the usability of my network shares in exchange for it.

edit: I forgot to mention: even when the WD was unable to see my Debian machine, the Debian machine could still fully see and access the WD sharing the attached USB device. So I know they were able to reach each other, I even moved some files between them (from the Debian end) without issue. It’s just an issue with getting the WD to “display” the share, or better yet, allow users to manually enter hostname/ip details to create a share instead of relying on a broken WINS discovery implementation.

Hi all,

I have 2 boxes.

WDTV Live and old WDTV

So far upgraded only one.

The only visible diffrence so far for me is diffrent youtube visualisation.

However new bugs was introduced. The bug is following:

I am wiewing my videos via the network , when I try to fastforward them it freezes so to reset I have to hit pause and play again.(MKV and AVI formats)

Another issue:

Each time I start playing a video file via network I have a delay of few minutes. It never happened with previos version of software.

When you plan a new update to fix it? Or should we roll back?

After reading all the comments. I would like to know if it is worth to upgrade the firmware? Or is there a lot of problems with it that have to be fixed later? Upgrading causes any problems to the media player? Can it be restored to a later firmware date? I only use it to watch videos I have saved. Will it mess things up on watching them?

Larry,

Only someone who is a tad suicidal would update to this firmware after reading about all the problems. 

Yes, if you upgrade you can back down again – but do you really want to do that?  There are even issues doing so, safely;  specifically with this version.

Since you and I are not suicidal, why not lean back, watch your movies as you have been, and be careful NOT to select the Upgrade Firmware when it pops on screen.  I’m sure as heck doing this!

It is unfortunate this firmware update is, again, not ready for prime time.  But, that’s the way it seems to be at WD these days.

My wife asked me tonight after we watched something via our WDTV, why the newest firmware is still not right.  I thought for a moment, and just said, " . . .  because people can’t find their network shares, and obviously after this many flubs, WD doesn’t know what the h**l they are doing these days!"   Like I said – unfortunate.

when it comes to updating firmware … i’m a bit of a nihilist

and yes, it’s exhausting :wink:

No fair posting “Summertime in Oz” taunting images when we folks in most of N. America are experiencing full-time winter – which is about as much fun as WD firmware updates!

Sorry, wish it was winter here …  32c and Storms Tomorrow (there goes the power again)

Snuggle up and watch  " The Big Lebowski:smiley:

Kline wrote:

Bill_S wrote:

However, if still have problems accessing your shares, could you please also post answers to the following questions:

-          Are your shares private or public?

-          Have you attempted to reset to factory defaults?

-          Do your shares connect or disconnect after a power cycle?

-          How long did you wait for the share to appear, before giving up?  If you didn’t wait very long (1-2 minutes), could you try leaving it for 5-10 minutes.

As has been stated here in the community, you might want to restart your computer, if your shares are located on that computer.

Sorry if I missed it as I did not read every post in this thread, but I also have this issue but with Samba shares on Debian Linux. Not any Windows OS. I opened a support case on the issue as I have never had any problems even with my moderately complex network, until this latest firmware. After exhausing troubleshooting efforts between resetting the WDTV, restarting services on my linux box, etc, support suggested I rollback to the previous version and now everything works perfectly again, without any config/wiping or resetting needed. I asked support if there was hope to see this bug corrected as I was enjoying the ability to control my WDTV via my Android tablet and they said to post here, so I am. Given a choice between my network shares or the new Android app though, I’ll take the network shares.

So to answer your questions:

1. Public (no anonymous access, but all shares are public between the user accounts on the server).
  1. Yes.
  1. Neither, they never establish at all.
  1. 1+ hour. My wife watched Hulu and Netflix then checked between shows and there was no change.

I would be very happy to provide any worthwhile testing or data captures (tcpdump, whatever) if it would help resolve this. I really do miss using the Android app, but I’m not willing to sacrifice the usability of my network shares in exchange for it.

edit: I forgot to mention: even when the WD was unable to see my Debian machine, the Debian machine could still fully see and access the WD sharing the attached USB device. So I know they were able to reach each other, I even moved some files between them (from the Debian end) without issue. It’s just an issue with getting the WD to “display” the share, or better yet, allow users to manually enter hostname/ip details to create a share instead of relying on a broken WINS discovery implementation.

I’ve passed your info along.

1 Like

Hello there,

my problem: I updated to 1.06.43_V and everything was okay - streaming and local USB drives.

After the first power-off only streaming works.

When connecting a USB device (USB stick, WD HDD) it is not recognized by my WD TV Live. The USB-LED on the WD TV flashes with aprox. 2Hz, but it not shown in the Videos list.

I downgraded to 1.06.15_V (show as 2.06.15 during the downgrade), but the problem still exists.

What can I do to get my sweet little machine back to work? ^^

I do not like the streaming capabilities, because it does not remember how much I stll viewed in a mkv file (starts at the beginning every time).

Bets regards,

Benninger

Hi bill , I realise you’re getting the runt of complaints via this forum.

The network share issue has still not been fixed, and am I correct in saying that you stated you do not think there will be any further updates ?

Your method (which is basically the same as all other methods that we have tried over the past months (MONTHS!!!) is no better. It sometimes works, but after a day or 2 , same problem re occurs.

In answer to your questions

1. Private

2. Yes

3. Inconsistant.

4. At least 20 mins

Even if this did work. If we had to do this every time we used the wdtv, it would still need fixed.

I’ve had a WDTV Live Plus for several years now and have never had a problem with firmware upgrades through 1.06.34_B which is what I’m currently using.  Getting it to work well with a wireless adapter was a PITA for several months initially but otherwise an easy setup.  Now after reading all of this I’m afraid to do the firmware upgrade.  Therefore, I can’t comment on the quality of this upgrade but I can comment on previous versions through 1.06.34_B which I do have experience with.  There are many posts here bashing those firmware upgrades as well.  In WD’s defense:

The unit connects via a Netgear N300 wireless adapter.  Network shares, media shares, etc. All work just fine.  It sees any of our home pcs.  The USB port works fine.  The Play To command in WMP works just fine.  We have a WD My Book Media Edition 2TB USB 2.0 connected to a Netgear N600 router.  The WDTV Live Plus sees the 2TBs just fine as a media center OR as a simple folder sharing drive.  All of this can be accessed by going through Video, Music or Pictures then Network Shares or Media Servers.  The folder management works fine in either direction when copying, deleting or pasting.  It’s painfully slow but hey, it’s not exactly a dedicated file server.  I just go to my pc and copy stuff from there to the unit and it’s much faster.  It sees darn near any kind of format I can throw at it.  Now, there are times when for some reason it can’t see certain pcs via Network Shares BUT I can still access them via Media Servers.  The issue may lie with the individual pcs rather than the WDTV Live Plus.  I have no idea and don’t care since I can get to those files anyway.  This unit actually rocks in my opinion.  No, I don’t work for WDTV.  Just a 56 year old hacker playing with pcs since the beginning.  Will I upgrade?  Hmm, might just leave well enough alone at this point.

If you skipped to this page, do not install this update. Lost network shares, solved by post 3 in this thread. (Manual network connect rather than auto.) Lost connection to Netflix-no workaround and Pandora will not let you connect and tell you that you are not located in the US.-no workaround. Re-set my WD plus bact to 16b and all is well. This update was, well, worthless…

I just want to post my experience. I mostly use the unit to stream VOB files. I updated the firmware yesterday and the first thing i noticed was snow (white specs flashing) all over the blue WD menu. I connected to the network no problem. I started a movie and now there are red speckled lines flashing across the screen intermittently. The sound drops out every 2 minutes or so then comes back on. I tryed everything with no sucess. I rolled back the  firmware to the previous version and all works perfect again. Something is very wrong with this version. Has anyone else seen this?

strangey316 wrote:
Hi bill , I realise you’re getting the runt of complaints via this forum.

The network share issue has still not been fixed, and am I correct in saying that you stated you do not think there will be any further updates ?

Your method (which is basically the same as all other methods that we have tried over the past months (MONTHS!!!) is no better. It sometimes works, but after a day or 2 , same problem re occurs.

In answer to your questions

1. Private
  1. Yes
  1. Inconsistant.
  1. At least 20 mins

Even if this did work. If we had to do this every time we used the wdtv, it would still need fixed.

What do you mean by months?  This firmware hasn’t even been out for a month yet.  Were you having this issue before?  Is the behavior the exact same as with this firmware?

Months , I do mean months.

The networks share issue isn’t a new issue with this latest firmware.

It existed in previous firmwares.

Here is my post about it , dated 12/9/12

http://community.wdc.com/t5/ideas/v1/ideapage/blog-id/streaming_issues/article-id/4635/page/1#comments

The bahviour is th same as its been ( unable to constantly access network shares )

My boxes are the original wdtv live gen 1 (not plus)

But I’ve been following this thread also as the same problem exists…

I guess it’s been mentioned before in the thread, but I can no longer connect to Netflix - everything else works fine (other online streaming services, connection to my media NAS, etc.), but Netflix never even gets to the login screen.

I downgraded to the _16 release, and now it no longer can connect to Netflix as well. I switched over to my DVD player to check on things, and it connects just fine to Netflix, so there’s that.

Still, I’d like to be able to use my WD TV Live Plus for what I bought it for…hope this firmware gets fixed soon!

i have 2 WD Plus units and im having the same problem on both units.  i have 1 one 3 things happening.

1 it powers up goes to network and work. 20% of the time

2 it powers up goes to network and says invalid pw and user 40%

3 it powers up connect to network but says no folder in media 40%

basically ive tried more recently static ip on 2 WDs and the PC that acts as server.  full read write shared folder accessible with 2 seperate pc, 2 wireless macs, and 2 android Tabs.  but the WD always gives me more errors then proper power ups. 

Same here - I’ve just “upgraded” and now I can see folders but “there is no content” in them!

Western Digital really does make **bleep** firmware.