New Release - My Book Live Firmware Version 2.42.02-012 (4/17/13)

The firmware update seems to be hit and miss. I missed…ran the update…got an error message…tried to reboot the drive.

Now the drive can’t be found at all…not via the dashboard, not on the network and not with a direct connection to my laptop.

I’ve tried the rest button…power cycling the drive…still the same. The front LED starts out as blue and then changes

to solid yellow. It stays a solid yellow color even after being left overnight.

If I’m counting right, this is the third report I have seen of that happening

Make it four. I tried twice and the upgrade is stuck at 90%.

Hi!

I did it yesterday and… that’s right… everything works fine… the process takes me about 12 minutes, reboot included (60%-70%-90%-End), then I installed trasmission and others, tested the operation of the unit and finally the WD went to sleep after 10-12 minutes of inactivity.

That’s all!!!

Salu2!

the day before yesterday ,i upgrade and stuck at 90%,then i call the customer server,she told me the nothing i can do but turn off the power,these are two possible result,work again or brick and lost everthing,before that,let it overnight,so i spent all night to pray.next day morning,it still 90%,fortunately,samba works,so i bought a new harddisk to backup.and then use ssh to poweroff,luckly,it works again.

this afternoon,i can’t help to try again,and now,it stuck at 90% too…

sorry for my english…

我要是早点看到这个贴就不会去试这个坑爹的版本了。英语不好就是不行。

看网卡的灯一直还在闪,也不知道在忙些什么。难道又得等一晚上?

http://mybooklve/UI--->settings—>utilities—>factory restore(erase all data on the drive!)—>quick factory restore

update

done!

@ aaqqaazz That’s not an option for most people as it will delete all of your data!

Just to let everyone know, we are currently working on a fix for the 90% hanging issue.  We will notify you once we have the fix.

Updated my drive with new firmware. Had some kind of an error after saying something like it timed out during reboot. Did a manual reboot and not it is stuck on Initializing Device in the UI with a pale green light on.

Any comments?

My WD Mylife 3TB is now bricked when the update automatically ran after plugging it up to my router as I have been reconfiguring my home entertainement set up.

Now when I try and access the drive, the GUI is displaying some sort of source code at the top of the screen and a “let us help you” message.

I’m gutted as all my photos and gopro clips are on there and I have no idea how to resolve this.

Any assistance in this regard would be appreciated

How I got passed the 90% freeze and updated the firmware.

But only by using SSH and unix!!!
After several 90% update freezes I contacted an expert and regular contributor on the Forum and together we highlighted that the issue in updating was to do with the mediacrawler database.

So with my warranty and my heart in my mouth I renamed the mediacrawler.db file and reran the update which went all the way through and the drive said it was rebooting. It stopped on the “white light” so after leaving it a while I unplugged and replugged it and it came up and initialised. I then renamed the file, stopped and restarted Remote Access and rebuilt the Server database and stopped and restarted the Twonky database and rebuilt it too.

This solution worked for me and is posted with the approval of the moderator but with the proviso " to let people know what it requires and that they need to have backups in case they screw something up."

So if you are too impatient to wait for WD to solve the problem and know enough unix to do this safely then here is a possible solution. But any consequences are on your head.

Hi,

I upgraded to this firmware version without issue using the device’s auto update feature back on April 6.

Since that time, I have experienced major issues when trying to copy large files (typically multi-gigabyte video files) across the LAN from two separate Windows 7 devices. Generally what happens is I start the process of copying files (this is over a gigabit hard wired LAN connection on the same switch as the MBL), and after a minute or two the copy fails with a Windows error message that says “There is a problem accessing {file name}. Make sure you are connected to the network and try again.”

I have tried rebooting the MBL, rebooting both laptops, WiFi instead of Ethernet, and nothing seems to change the behavior. This worked just fine for a year before the update, as I use the MBL as a video server and I copy files to it all the time.

Any clues or tips on how to resolve this?

Unable to reply to announcement of new release for WD + Turbo for Mac for My Book External Drives released a coupled of weeks ago.

Tried to access the My Book External Drive page to download the new drives and couldn’t access the page. No issues accessing the Passport page, but own a My Book Studio II external drive.

search the forum, I think somebody had a setting in the NIC card that solved the issue.  or, they updated the NIC driver.

sorry, that was for the post two above

Updated about 1 1/2 hrs ago & no problems.  I used the Dashboard update using a file that resides on the MBL as I copy the update file from a win7 drive where it was downloaded; don’t know if the 90% problem occurs if the update file is on a windows drive as it could be that the MBL disconnects itself from the network when the led is white or whatever.

Haven’t check yet whether the MBL still needs about 15-20 secs to “wake up” when my AVR tries to access it; there is a “no connection” report for that period of time.  It’s quite consistent as I listen the music on the MBL while I pretend I’m not really doing my exercising.

wild4gadgets wrote:

Hi,

I upgraded to this firmware version without issue using the device’s auto update feature back on April 6.

Since that time, I have experienced major issues when trying to copy large files (typically multi-gigabyte video files) across the LAN from two separate Windows 7 devices. Generally what happens is I start the process of copying files (this is over a gigabit hard wired LAN connection on the same switch as the MBL), and after a minute or two the copy fails with a Windows error message that says “There is a problem accessing {file name}. Make sure you are connected to the network and try again.”

I have tried rebooting the MBL, rebooting both laptops, WiFi instead of Ethernet, and nothing seems to change the behavior. This worked just fine for a year before the update, as I use the MBL as a video server and I copy files to it all the time.

Any clues or tips on how to resolve this?

I use “richcopy” to do my “backup” from the MBL to an usb3 drive; the files are usually music files.   With the “latest/later/recent” win7 patches, the backup process is more reliable now as now disabling of autoplay works; win7 don’t ignore it anymore.

Prior to the autoplay fix, autoplay would popup, interfere & skip the file(s) with errors claiming the old file don’t exist & the log show that the copying goes thru many tries to try to access the drive.  Tried other mass copiers & they all had the same problem except for robocopy which was the only command line copier; interesting that using a gui app for robocopy also had the same problem as all gui copiers.

Autoplay shouldn’t even be part of the contex menu for the drives but that crappy micro**bleep** media player or center imbeded it into any drive that had a music file or a possible defauld drive that may contain a music file.

Don’t know whether your problem is the same as mine with autoplay messing things up, but give it a try…

One problem that all versions MBL is the requirement that the “shared” directory/folders are named as in “Shared Videos”, “Shared Music” & “Shared Documents”.  Note the space between the word.  Windows has a problem of when copying because of the imbeded space & if one just rips a music cd & uses the free db cataloges, then spaces may also be part of the filename & however it is to be written onto MBL.

No idea what a copying program does when a space occurs within the name of a path as I see reported “file cannot be found”, “directory doesn’t exist” & other errors but the copy app could still end “with no errors”!

Another problem of file not found is that the path+filename is longer than 256 characters and/or the path is longer than 248 characters; windows goes bonkers.

The problems exist for decads & won’t be getting fixed.

We were able to find the root cause of the issue with the firmware update to 02.42.02 – 12 being stuck at 90%. This issue should be resolved in the next firmware update. If you have a brand new drive and you do not have any data on it, do a quick factory reset and retry updating the firmware. PLEASE KEEP IN MIND THAT A FACTORY RESET WILL ERASE ALL THE DATA THAT YOU HAVE ON THE DRIVE.  If you have data on the drive, please send me a private message with your contact information (name, phone number, and the best time for us to contact you) and we will help you resolve this issue.

I too am experiencing the firmware update to 02.42.02 – 12 being stuck at 90%. I did a power cycle a few times and ended up with a solid white LED. I can luckily access the data, and am trying to backup the drive. I am always reluctant to do updates like this, because of situations like this. 

I cannot use the Dash Board because it is stuck showing a message “Initializing Device. Please Wait”

Any Suggestions?

Unfortunately I didn’t get any responses about what to do with my MBL 2T drive hanging up after an upgrade to Firmware Version 02.42.02-012 using the Dash Board.

I would get to 90% on the update. I could still access the data, so I backed everything up. I tried a power cycle.I cannot use the Dash Board because it is stuck showing a message “Initializing Device. Please Wait”

I successfully down graded the firmware to 02.32.05-046 using the following tread…

http://community.wdc.com/t5/My-Book-Live/GUIDE-Restore-Downgrade-firmware-via-the-reset-button/td-p/481588

Everything seems to be working.

I would like to use the same procedure to upgrade the firmware to 02.42.02-012, but it seems the WD is not making the firmware available for downloading as a separate file. I was able to get version 02.32.05-046 using the following link…

http://download.wdc.com/nas/apnc-023205-046-20120910.deb

Is there a similar link for  02.42.02-012?