New Release - My Book Live Firmware Version 02.41.05 – 034 (2/27/2013)

Hi,

I have the same problem as Yosmell.

Installed the latest firmware update to 02.41.05-034 successfully. Twonky worked as it should but it annoys me that every time I switch off the MyBookLIve (I always switch off all gear when I leave the house for a few days) and restart my network I have to enter in the \mybooklive\public share in the Twonky configuration page. It doesnt store it for some reason. Also the interface doesnt display the action buttons correctly…they are overlaid but I work around it. Perhaps you can tell me how to fix this. Once configured like that it works well on my Sony Bravia TV.

So I tried the patch to install the WD DLNA server instead.

Patch installed successfully and I enabled the WD server under the Media tab in the dashboard.

However there are no files showing (Music, Photos or Videos) in the database. Tried the Scan and Rebuild but still nothing.

Btw: I checked and All Media sharing is enabled in the Share tab in the dashboard. Rebooted after patching…still nothing.

Please let me know what I need to do to fix.

Thanks in advance.

my drive has been stuck at 4% for nearly an hour, whats going on??

after update to this firmware, there is no WD Media Server. Where it is? can someone show me how to use WD Media Server?

Hi TruongD,

I’m not an ‘expert’…see my problem above…but do know this one.

After updating the firmware you need to go to the Support page and download the patch to change to the WD DLNA server.

I found it with a search in the WD Support section.

There is also another patch for changing back to Twonky. Its all very clunky…as mentioned earlier a choice on the Dashboard interface would have been much easier for non-tech heads like me.

Hope it works for you and if you get the server to build a database of media please let me know how you did it. That part is still not working for me.

Here is my experince so far with this firmware update

Updated successfully to 02.41.05-034 version thru dashboard.

Took almost 10min including install and reboot

Applied the WD media server patch htru dashboard - this update took almost 30min to complete may be cos 1.5TB movie data on drive that take some time for crwal,indexing…

Good thing

My LG 42LV5500  DLNA compatile TV streams data  and displays the content with thumnail pics…sort of good.Also allofmy samsung DLNA enabled mobiles are streaming data

Issue

Media server only appears to display folders and contents from PUBLIC partition only.Its not displaying any content

from my personel partition which has huge number of movies.This partiion has password.Twonly never had any issue

getting the data from this partition before.

Dashboard shows number of videos only from PUBLIC and unlike twonky there are no option /interface available

to make WD media server to point to additional partition on NAS.

Could not test mkv capabilities as all of my mkvs were on personel drive.with twonky I used to convert MKV DTS movies to MKV AC3/Dolby thru Popkorn and all devices uswed to play with out any issues.Hopefully I would be able to check once WD team add more muscleand capablities and config options for its WD Media server…

For the time being reverted back to - Twonky thru the patch provided in site…Twonky back in action.

-Eff

Well, I’m lost…

Having had past problems with WD updates, I’m really hesitant to try this new one.  As a novice, would someone clue me in to the purpose of these various servers:

Twonky

WD DLNA server

WD Media Server

Also, I’ve been seeing lots of chatter about different file format problems, like “MKV files”, etc. Are these 3D video files? 

I’m currently running Windows 7 64bit OS.  I am not planning to use Windows 8 any time soon.

Any info or links to tutorials would be appreciated.

Thanks.

HI Gruug!

thanks for your answer.

try to uncheck the enable box and check again? and give it sometimes to built

I bought the MBL for 1 week and was desperate to Twonki v5 and my Samsung TV UE40ES6570 :confounded: … but…

Very very very desperate and angry :angry: would upgrade to Twonky v6 or v7 until I saw the new firmware with the new DLNA server option then… Incredible!!!

Now _ with WD Media Server perfect .avi, .mp4, .mkv … seamless play, and complete control of it _ (play, pause, forward and rewind… things that with Twonky v5 could not). So… Great work WD!!! :wink:

In my case there is only improved playback control with .mpeg and .mpg files (I can’t do forward and rewind them) :cry:

Salu2!

I am also stuck at 4 % for hours. Did you manage to solve it?

Edit: Managed to solve it. Rebooted device, stopped the Twonky service and installed the Twonky patch first. Then installed the WD Server patch. Now it works.

After update with this new firmware and apply the wd dlna, my drive never goes to sleep, I’ve checked the hibernate option and is ticked, the led drive is always blinking in green.

Btw the wd dlna server is disable.

After this update I’ve lost the acces to my public shares. I can get access the WebUI, I can log in via SSH. The system is Win 7 64 Pro. 

BTW, WDTV with custom firmware (WDLXTV) sees the shares and can access them.

Any way to stream REMOTELY using the new WD DLNA server?

EnR

Hi Gruug,

I had the same problem as you. Tried rebooting the drive a few times but no joy.

Finally I got the media scanned by the following steps

1. Disable both the media server and the share in PUBLIC folder

2. Reboot the drive

3. Enable back the media server and the share in PUBLIC folder. 

It sounds stupid but it works for me. 

cheers

Before the updating to the new firmware I used the on board twonky service embedded in my book live 2 TB. I  have had no issues until this update. Is there a way for me to revert back to the old firmware? I just want to be able to stream in peace without hiccup of intermittent data connection losses. 

Anyone else having these issues?

Twonky is unchanged. Something else must have happened… Or did you decide to change to the WD media server?

lardshov wrote:

I am also stuck at 4 % for hours.

Installing the WD DLNA update, I too was stuck at 4% for about 25 minutes and was just about to give up and risk manually resetting it (despite the warning) when it finally completed on its own.

manhou wrote:

Hi Gruug,

I had the same problem as you. Tried rebooting the drive a few times but no joy.

Finally I got the media scanned by the following steps

1. Disable both the media server and the share in PUBLIC folder
  1. Reboot the drive
  1. Enable back the media server and the share in PUBLIC folder. 

It sounds stupid but it works for me. 

THANKS. No media was found on its own (even after reboot) so I did as you said, and sure enough - it worked. Sounded stupid, was stupid, but it worked.

At this point, there is a guide which describes a downgrade http://community.wdc.com/t5/My-Book-Live/GUIDE-Restore-Downgrade-firmware-via-the-reset-button/td-p/481588

I keep getting the notification email to upgrade my firmware, and I am considering upgrading from 02.32.05-046. My current firmware is working with no issues at all, and I have got things set-up how I want them. 

Is the new firmware worth it? I dont use DLNA, and I dont have Windows 8 either, so there is no real benefit for me. 

Just tried the upgrade, but ended with a ’ 31105  - Upgrade copy failure’.

What to do?

The WDL is still active and available, so no harm done as far as I can see.

But I get very nervous when seeing such an error message.

B.t.w.

Does it really make sense upgrading the device? I don’t use Windows8 and I don’t have a Samsung TV.

Well, I always like to keep my gear up-to-date, so that’s why I did the upgrade.

Bottom line; what to do to avoid the error message.

Slookek - we investigated and saw the same thing on the MKVs inability to play to Pioneer blue ray using the WD Media Player. Working towards a fix.