New Release - My Book Live Firmware Version 02.32.05-044 (9/5/12)

I’m seeing some major speeds posted here, I don’t think I’ve ever seen over 3 MB/s when transfering data to the NAS. Obviously I have issues!

Hi everybody

I have some problems accessing my WEB UI. Tried to access it through three separate devices (2006 Macbook, HP Pavilion, and iPad 2). I also can’t download the current firmware also. Any advice on what I should do. Thanks

I’m having this problem
No access to Utilities in Dashboard = No factory reset.
Error messages in almost any sections:

Hi,

Had a My Book Live for just over 3 weeks - temporary NAS solution for me.

Two critical things (well for me) that I’ve noticed about the Firmware update … (update is a bit strong!):

(1) The Twonky server product remains at version 5.1.9 - this is really old and there have been many bug fixes since.

Current release is 7.0.9 - I’ve noticed this has been commented on before in WD forums:

http://community.wdc.com/t5/My-Book-Live/New-Twonky-Server-v-7-0-5-version-with-firmware/td-p/400447

(2) Many of the underlying Linux components are also massively out of date and updates are available to fix performance and security vunerabilities.

This has definately changed my view, for the worse, of WD as a company.  Shame because clearly some effort has gone into the UI design and desktop components, but that’s nothing without the underlying software builds.

Twonky Server Update

If it helps anyone else out there the following pages describe how to update Twonky server to 7.0.9 which I’m happily running and the WD interface still runs (had to buy the latest Twonky licence for £13 but now have bug fixes, improved capability and performance):

http://community.twonky.com/twonky/topics/how_to_upgrade_twonky_server_on_wd_mybook_live

(Thanks phibertron !!!)

In addition to the upgrade steps I also had to copy some of the html files to make WD UI work:

cp /usr/local/twonkymedia-5.1.9/twonkymedia-config.html /usr/local/twonkymedia-5/twonkymedia-config.html

cp /usr/local/twonkymedia-5.1.9/twonkymedia-config1.html /usr/local/twonkymedia-5/twonkymedia-config1.html

cp /usr/local/twonkymedia-5.1.9/twonkymedia-config2.html /usr/local/twonkymedia-5/twonkymedia-config2.html

cp /usr/local/twonkymedia-5.1.9/twonkymedia-config.html /DataVolume/cache/twonkymedia/twonkymedia-config.html

cp /usr/local/twonkymedia-5.1.9/twonkymedia-config1.html /DataVolume/cache/twonkymedia/twonkymedia-config1.html

cp /usr/local/twonkymedia-5.1.9/twonkymedia-config2.html /DataVolume/cache/twonkymedia/twonkymedia-config2.html

* Note: All the above is for your information - if you choose to upgrade - at your risk *

As to my original point, disappointed in WD ongoing product support.  This is my key measure of companies now as it cuts right through any marketing - they are either doing it well with good feedback from customers or they are not.

@esc2victory

Your Welcome =)

hello,

I like download the file of the firmware for upgrade my book live manualy, but, i don’t see…

it’s possible send me the links for download??

i try update the firmware in the ui  dashboard, but when I push the button “search update” appears:

MyBooklive 02.11.09.053…

my firmware now it’s 02.01.06-026…

regards.

EDIT:

ok!!ok!! i read this…

http://www.wdc.com/wdproducts/updates/?family=wdfmb_live#38;lang=eng

first I need update to 02.11.09.053… after to 02.32.05-044… ok!!!

jburrows wrote:

My upgrade was successful in one sense, the firware is upgraded. 

It was a total failure though in function, as all of the defined users are wiped out and I am unable to see or connect to any of my private shares. 

I have confirmed the data is still there, but I am not sure how to go abotu getting the connection to it established again without risking data loss. 

Any input ? 

JB

If you still have access to the devices webpage, enable ftp, download, install, and use FileZilla to retrieve your files.

Robbielj wrote:

come on, give some credit to the WD peoples. they are already working on it.

It is actually unrealistic to find a product with flawless firmware updates all the time. Not apple, not microsoft, not samsung.  

So just wait patiently. 

You must be new to the forums, they’ve been saying the same thing since may, and yet after every firmware update instead of improving the device they end up making things worse then what they were.

neverin wrote:

hello, i am new here so please forgive this daft sounding post!

How do i get hold of the latest release 02.32.05-044 as when i go to the update page it shows release notes for the previous version which i have?

can anyone help?

The last 3 firmware updates have been pulled due to instability so odds are you wont find what your looking for

Did you solve your problem? I experiencing the same frustrating situation.

Please let me know!

My firmware version was 1.x.

For the record, not a nueb to sys admin (MCSE since NT/Solaris/Linux) nor to networks (Juniper/Cisco) nor to telecommunications (M13’s/Serial comms rs-530/rs-232/x.21/dense wave/muxing/mspp’s/sts-1 thru OC-192/STM-1-STM-64). Upgrading this My Book Live firmware is a nightmare. Web page, first line should read the current state of affairs, plain language. Links should take you to recommended step 1, not just blindly let you start where you googled into the site, on step 6, without mentioning there are prerequisites you need to perform. No mention anywhere to set your NTP time correctly (at WD is the world flat?). When you get to the firmware download page, put a link there to what you need for those you cannot do manually. I’ve flashed thousands of eeprom’s, why would I go to the instructions for grandma?(Thats where you first find out you aren’t allowed to manually flash older versions) And just how long does it take to flash the thing automatically.

NOTE!!! well it just failed with the dreaded 5657 error after 2.5 hours, so I am back to square one.

So…Here’s my info:

Win7

No AV, No Windows defender

Directly connected to MyBook Live

Firmware ver. MyBookLive  01.05.07 : MioNet 4.3.1.12

NTP time is correct

Static IP

Updated mbl_windows_setup, WD SmartWare Upgrader, WD_Quick_View_Setup_for_Windows_1_0_1_3B

106mb presently on drive

MyBook live says to upgrade. I select “check for update” it runs for 2.5 hours and then 5657’s.

What am I missing?

try upgrading to the very last of the 1.x firmwares first.  Then move on to the 2’s.

Where do I download this firmware, may I have a direct download link please? I can’t access the Web UI, I’ll install from ssh. Thnx…

Hey there,

maybe a solution from me. Just right before RMA my drive, I found the CD of Western Digital in my package.

I installed the Software WD Quick View (Version 3.1.5.4) which allowed me to update without UI access.

The update required some time, but afterwards I got access to the UI.

I’ve mentioned before, there is an option to update from the quick view notification area.

Hi all,

my first post and it’s a big winge (sorry)

Can’t get any user settings or utilities working. I have firmware 02.32.05-046 and have all the problems as listed here before.

WD is the any update to this problem, this is a new drive straight out the box and it DOES NOT WORK !!!

Glad I’m not the only one. New drive, not an hour out of the box and the new firmware has almost bricked it!

Had the same issue this morning. Saw the info on the internal server error, and corrected the situation. Quite relieved to have it working.

How have you corrected it? I cannot SSH into the box, or do anything that looks like it might be a route into a fix.

Phone WD and ask to be put through to L2 support. They have a URL to enable SSH on the box. It’s then a simple login, run a shell script and reboot. Had mine fixed in under 5 mins.  I have the details but they’ve asked that I don’t share them as unexperienced users can end up doing the wrong thing and make matters worse.

I’m on the new firmware and all is good. And I note rsync is in the Debian Linux the box runs so rsyncing direct between two boxes may be possible, kept in different parts of the house to minimise risk from fire.