New Release - Firmware Version 1.12.14 for WD TV Live Streaming Media Player (10/29/12)

mark2410 wrote:

so far its given me an offer to sign up to acetrack and broken mkv playback.

Broken how? MKVs still work here on 1.12.14.

Techflaws wrote:

mark2410 wrote:

they simply wont play, they just tell me that the format is not supoorted and to go look at the user manual.  i dont know whats going on.  having downgraded to firmware to 1.10 and i still have that WD offers thing too.

mark2410 wrote:

Techflaws wrote:

mark2410 wrote:

they simply wont play, they just tell me that the format is not supoorted and to go look at the user manual.  i dont know whats going on.  having downgraded to firmware to 1.10 and i still have that WD offers thing too.

update

it can play mkv files if the are local or accessed via a network share.   However they will NOT work if i try to access mkv flies through the media server option.  That means i cant send files to the WDTV via DLNA which is what i had been doing previously.  What the **bleep** is up with it?   i am not happy western digital. as for me the divice has just gone from awesome to meh ill just use the 100w consumunig computer, at least it works.

Oh yeah, another issue I forgot to report:

When playing several TV-episodes in a row without skipping prematurely and using external subtitle-files (sub/idx in my case), the player only automatically displays subtitles for the first file. After that you have to switch to the subtitles yourself.

mark2410 wrote:

Techflaws wrote:

It should be noted that MKV is only a container format. Unlike most container formats, it can contain just about any codec for your audio/video streams.

Just because a player can open the MKV container format, it does not necessarily mean that it can decode the streams inside them. This means that some may play while others may not.

mark2410 wrote:

mark2410 wrote:

Techflaws wrote:

mark2410 wrote:

update

it can play mkv files if the are local or accessed via a network share.   However they will NOT work if i try to access mkv flies through the media server option.  That means i cant send files to the WDTV via DLNA which is what i had been doing previously.  What the **bleep** is up with it?   i am not happy western digital. as for me the divice has just gone from awesome to meh ill just use the 100w consumunig computer, at least it works.

are any of the files that donā€™t play 10-bit?

As always, paste Mediainfo text inside code tags.

With 1.12.14, I experienced severe audio problems (drops, crackling, syncing) with recorded tv dvr-ms files, making them unwatchable through the player. Ā Rolling back to 1.11.14 resolved it.

rob77 wrote:

Did you try it at 24hz on the TV? If I have it at 60hz the film runs fine.

The other TV automatically sets to 24 and thereā€™s no stutter.

the worst FW to date - Full of bugs and constant freezing / fatal error restarts!

http://wdc.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/5860/~/how-to-roll-back-the-firmware-on-a-wd-tv-live-hub-media-center-or-wd-tv-live

Techflaws wrote:> * * *
Techflaws wrote:

rob77 wrote:

Did you try it at 24hz on the TV? If I have it at 60hz the film runs fine.

The other TV automatically sets to 24 and thereā€™s no stutter.

Did you try the try the moving test files I posted? 

Yes, I also had no problem with this file posted by someone in the German forum having also trouble with stuttering of 24 FPS files. Let us know, if it works for you.

Bill_S wrote:

WD is changing this beta into our latest firmware update for the WD TV Live Streaming Media Player.

If you experience any issues with this firmware, please report them in the WD TV Live Streaming Issue Reporting exchange.

For sharing your experience, you can continue to post in this thread.

Hi Bill,

Can you please look into Wifi Issue with this version. I am bit disappinted. I did Upgrade and now canā€™t connect via wifi. It even didnā€™t ask fro SSID . I did rollbck to Prev Version and Strange Wifi is not there either. Pl Advice on this .

I got the same problem with most european blu-ray copies, which run with full 24,000fps, also with the posted sample file.Ā It doesnā€™t matter, if itā€™s recoded as smaller MKV or I convert the original to an 1:1 MKV, nor playing the original blu-ray files. Approximately every 24 seconds, thereā€™s a short stutter. At first, I thought, thereā€™s a problem with MKV encoding or muxing. But after a whole day testing and googling, I came to the conclusion, the WD TV Live must be the problem, not the files.Ā To confirm my conclusion, I re-burned my original blu-ray to a 25gb BD-R and played with my Playstation 3.

Worked fine, no stutter after 24 sec. Playing the same files with my WD, stuttering every 24 seconds.

So, my conclusion: the WD canā€™t work clean with full 24fps only 23,976fps.

I made also a clip, you can download under the link below. But I will emphase, that are only micro stutters,

you shouldnā€™t expect a big stutter, picture freeze or pixel crash. Itā€™s just a blink stutter.

http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?d8qar83jedwtw3x

Best regards from Germany

Ive got a WDTV Live Hub and Playing your Test Clip (Iron Sky) 24fps i didnt see any ā€œStutteringā€

Compared it to my own (Iron Sky) 23.976fps is exactly the same ā€¦ no ā€œStutteringā€

Both Files were tested on the Live Hubā€™s Internal HDD and Resolution Settings 1080p 60fps with 8bit and 12bit Color Space.

EDIT: Discovered thisā€¦

One thing to check ā€¦ my TV is a Pansonic Plasma which has a Setting for ā€œINTELLIGENT FRAME CREATIONā€

(ie. it ā€œInterpolatesā€ Frames to attempt to ā€œSmooth Outā€ motion)

(This is Not a ā€œGlobalā€ Setting ā€¦ ie. It can be enabled on HDMI1 and disabled on HDMI2)

I ALWAYS have this set to OFF.Ā 

Just for Testing ā€¦ i Enabled it when Viewing your ā€œTest Clipā€Ā  and sure enough ā€¦ the Picture ā€œStutteredā€

Did the Same for my File ā€¦

Conclusion, consult your TV Manual and Disable any ā€œFrame Enhancement Featuresā€

I didnā€™t mean the 60Hz mode. I mean the 24p mode.Ā Cause motions in 24p are more smooth, than 60Hz.

If you turn on 24p mode, there will be a stutter.Ā Down below, thereā€™s a link for a clip, from Lockout.

It has the same problem. Turn on 24p mode, and turn off all picture enhancements of your tv.

You should get a micro stutter at 20 sec., after Guy Pearce get the first punch.

http://www.mediafire.com/?wz54rlsjennh5v3

You say itā€™s the LIVE streaming, so what happens when you set it to auto rather than 24 fps? My TV resets to 24 fps on playback and there is not stutter.

I got 2 WD TV Live Gen 3 (WDBGXT0000NBK-01). Both are connected with 2 different Panasonic Plasma-TV, which both support 24p, one player is connected with an Onkyo AV Receiver. I have tested it with both players, with old and new firmware and switched off any enhancements or corrections by tv. When I set all on Auto, TV starts 24p mode correctly.

Files with 23,976fps work absolutely fine, without any problems. But full 24,000fps files have a stutter nearly every 20sec. for a percent of a second. The same, when I set it manually on 24p mode. I was playing it over network and connected also an USB-storage directly, but everytime the same. And itā€™s no imagination, my girlfriend see that also and usually, she never sees stutters or errors. When I play same original bluray file on PS3, it plays without any problem in 24p. I think the only solution is, watching the original blurayā€™s with my PS3ā€¦ :frowning:

travel_living wrote:

Bill_S wrote:

WD is changing this beta into our latest firmware update for the WD TV Live Streaming Media Player.

If you experience any issues with this firmware, please report them in the WD TV Live Streaming Issue Reporting exchange.

Hi Bill,

Can you please look into Wifi Issue with this version. I am bit disappinted. I did Upgrade and now canā€™t connect via wifi. It even didnā€™t ask fro SSID . I did rollbck to Prev Version and Strange Wifi is not there either. Pl Advice on this .

What do you mean by ā€œWifi issueā€?  What do you mean by ā€œWifi is not there eitherā€?  You need to be more explicit.  Is the Wifi not working at all?  Is it intermittent?  Are you having problems playing files?  Have you tried connecting wired to the network to make sure the device works?  Have you tried doing a reconnection under setup?  Have you tried reconnecting to the wireless network, retyping your password?  Are you sure that there isnā€™t some type of interference going on?

Bill_S wrote:

travel_living wrote:

Bill_S wrote:

Hi Bill,

What do you mean by ā€œWifi issueā€?  What do you mean by ā€œWifi is not there eitherā€?  You need to be more explicit.  Is the Wifi not working at all?  Is it intermittent?  Are you having problems playing files?  Have you tried connecting wired to the network to make sure the device works?  Have you tried doing a reconnection under setup?  Have you tried reconnecting to the wireless network, retyping your password?  Are you sure that there isnā€™t some type of interference going on?

Hi Bill,

Post firmware update (1.12.14), I canā€™t see Wifi OPtion in WDTV. In Network Options as well i can 't see wired or wireless options. It just say automatic or manaul way to get IP. If i click on Auto it says no connectivity. and in Manuel it ask IP to fill. I donā€™t see any place where i can see existing accesspoint to give SSID password. 

Only way if i connect this box with Lan cable it gets IP.

I did reset , roll back and didnā€™t help . I did  powercycle to router also . No use.

Moral of Issue. WDTV is not able to connect over WIFI. Please look here