New Release - Firmware Version 1.12.14 for WD TV Live Streaming Media Player (10/29/12)

Do you play back from a FAT32 formatted drive or via a media server? I renamed my files to your example and as expected they were shown alphabetically when played back from my NTFS formatted HDD:

I play them from my nas, I will try some other settings today to see if I can get it working in the right way again.

1 Like

I might test this version later but could anybody tell me, if the WD TV finally can deal with umlauts in file and folder names over DLNA/UPnP?

This is bugging me for a while now. I’m also accessing my server via AnDLNA, which has no problems with the umlauts.

Techflaws wrote:

Sotje wrote:

(who wants to look at juddering VC-1 streams in MKV containers?)

Noone, which is why I ripped mine properly and I can watch VC-1 in MKV without any judder.

Whatever “properly” means in this context.  Good to know that we can consider your  setup (hence the ripping software you are using + WD TV Live) to be the global reference for validating whether something has been ripped properly or not
 when it’s playing without judder on a WD TV Live → ripped properly, when it’s not playing
 uhhh.

We should send an eMail to the development teams of VLC, XBMC (Windows and Ubuntu), Microsoft Media Player, nVidia and AMD and tell them, that they didn’t implement the MKV and/or VC-1 specifications correctly as all the MKVs that judder on my WD TV Live play flawlessly on every other player/codec I’ve tested so far (including the combinations mentioned above)
 shouldn’t we?

To get serious: The fact that your rips are playing without judder definitely doesn’t prove, that those which judder got ripped improperly. Anyway, which software are you using?

Regards

Sotje

Eneywhere you can see a changelog? :slight_smile:

http://www.wdc.com/wdproducts/updates/?family=wdfwdtv_live_G3

• Resolved system freezes in network setup with NFS share added to the My Media Library.

The above is NOT fixed.

It freezes every time i try to add folders from my Netgear readynas duo to the media library. Must unplug form mains for reboot.
It also freezes when trying to access my Nas from the “Video > Network Share > Linux Share > My Nas ip.” menu.

If i browse the “Video > Media Server > Netgear readynas >” i can browse and watch my movies.

Another thins is that i haven’t figured out how to show subtitles (tried lots of things like renaming the .srt)

I bought this box 1week ago. If it ain’t getting any better soon i’m throwing the **bleep**ty box out the window.

Its not the wd thats the issue.

I have a readynas duo and i can add or del folders as needed without freezing and the same thing goes for my dlink 320.

Outdated firmware on the nas maybe?

The library remains the same mess.
Regards.

Even though the internal scrapper will now get the backdrops for TV shows, you can no longer use the my_image.jpg in the TV show xml to display local images.

That would likely explain the tv sheets issue.

I upgraded from V1.11.14 to 1.12.14 and noticed that moviesheets for black mamba V1.5 are not always opening particularly for TV Series. However, it seems that some series open OK while others don’t. I have media library turned off and access all files from a windows network share. This has never been a problem before. Something new

1 Like

Yeah its the firmware  and its looks to be a unexpected affect on wd part since some sheets still work.

thegman wrote:

I upgraded from V1.11.14 to 1.12.14 and noticed that moviesheets for black mamba V1.5 are not always opening particularly for TV Series. However, it seems that some series open OK while others don’t. I have media library turned off and access all files from a windows network share. This has never been a problem before. Something new

this is why I’m hesitant to do updates. If the player is working fine for me then i dont bother with updates unless its something new that i need

Sotje wrote:
Whatever “properly” means in this context. 

Not downloaded from the Internet, for example.

Sotje wrote:
Good to know that we can consider your  setup (hence the ripping software you are using + WD TV Live) to be the global reference for validating whether something has been ripped properly or not

But we should consider your problems to be globally relevant to all WDTV users, right?

Sotje wrote:

We should send an eMail to the development teams of VLC, XBMC (Windows and Ubuntu), Microsoft Media Player, nVidia and AMD and tell them, that they didn’t implement the MKV and/or VC-1 specifications correctly as all the MKVs that judder on my WD TV Live play flawlessly on every other player/codec I’ve tested so far (including the combinations mentioned above)
 shouldn’t we?

If you really think continous sarcasm is the smart way to go, fine by me. What you should do however, is to realize the major difference between hardware and software players. That would go a long way in solving those issues.

Sotje wrote:
The fact that your rips are playing without judder definitely doesn’t prove, that those which judder got ripped improperly.

The fact that your rips judder definitely doesn’t prove that it’s WDTV’s fault.

1 Like

Magnus33 wrote:

Its not the wd thats the issue.

I have a readynas duo and i can add or del folders as needed without freezing and the same thing goes for my dlink 320.

Outdated firmware on the nas maybe?

What firmware do you run on your nas?
It freezes when accessing folders on level 3  “Media > Video > Movies HD”. When entering Movies HD it freezes everytime.
Will try and look for an update on my nas.

The latest is 4.1.10 and there no need to look theres a update option under system that well find and download the update once you click on it.

Also whats your router can it handle the streaming?

Magnus33 wrote:

The latest is 4.1.10 and there no need to look theres a update option under system that well find and download the update once you click on it.

Also whats your router can it handle the streaming?

My router is a D-link Gamer Lounge something. Never had streaming problems before. I stream 1080p movies just fine to my Nad T567 and to my PS3. To my Nad i can stream movies just fine with subtitles, both .srt and included in .mkv.
Streaming is not the problem, it works fine if i choose the Media Player menu under Video i can watch the movies just fine. Its the ad to media library thats my problem.
Will check my nas firmware later today. Will repost on the result.

Still cannot play 24fps material smoothly.

Got another blu-ray recently (North Face/24fps) that there’s no point ripping to WD hard drive. Setting the output to 60Hz stops the more pronounced, periodic, stutter.

(More visible for people that don’t use/like a display with frame interpolation.)

What protacal are you using to stream from the nas?

Smb or nfs?