New Release - Firmware Version 1.07.15 for WD TV Live Streaming Media Player (2/29/12)

EMPR88 wrote:

Hi. 

Not sure if this has been answered or not.

I have a WD TV live - WDBGXT0000NBK-EESN (European model) , but I am living in the US. After the firmware update I lost Hulu and Netflix. Is this because of the model or what? Is there a solution, or one on the way?

Thank You

Have you tried resetting the device?  Because it should work, especially if you updated with the latest firmware.

Multiple times. Tried resetting to defaults with and without keeping online service info. 

As I understood from what people said regarding the geolocating and firmware, the fact that it is an european model should have no effect?

But what is wierd, when rolling back to 1.06.04 I am able to see and connect to netflix.  However I would very much like to update since the remote is easier to use, text input, and I use Hulu as well. 

Extra little info. When going to Online Service Info after update, I have: Netflix ESN: WDBHG70000-…: So it stil has my info but no app. 

Dear WD  Mangement.

Look out the truth .There are over hundred SMP who all services working that you have removed.

I am shocked after buying this Gen 3 box.I wish I can return it.But I bought online fron DELLs company and their policy does  not accept to return it.

I will wait a few months.If  WD  does not bring all features back then I will buy one of other.Although I will wast my 125 dollars in Canada .

Hello, I’m looking forward to have a firmware that eliminate the downsampling of the audio > 44.1/48 kz. Congratulations for the WDTV . its fabulous. I hope that the next solution will have a coaxial SPDIF for even better audio.

What downsampling at the optical out do you mean ?

There should be none.

As fa r as I am informed (from official WD support) there is no audio downsamplning with MP3s or FLACs at the optical out.

Even a 192 kbps rate would be possible (WD wrote), but I have no way to check this.

Do you have an Amp which shows the sampling rate ?

WDs answer was , with the new SMP 192/24bit are possible.

But I think there is an issue with audio tracks of some video files (dts ?).

Edit:

To get the high resulution you have to set “digital passthrough” in your system settings.

Then it should be up to the connected DAC how good your sound/resolution is.

I just bought the WD TV Live Streamer - the first thing it did was to update the firmware - BIG MISTAKE!

There was no iPlayer - the main reason I bought the unit!

On the point of returning the unit, I googled around and discovered the 1.06.04 downgrade.  What’s to lose?

Nothing!   I now have iPlayer.

WD really need to sort out the firmware - very poor service.  

A couple of other points - an avi file with mpeg audio plays but there’s no sound.  The menus are very laggy.- and video files take an age to start with just a blank screen - it made me think the unit wasn’t working.

And there’s no sound volume on the remote! 

If this unit gets 4 start reviews, makes me wonder why other streamers get 2/3 stars!

I’d barely give it 1 star.  

Not good value for money. 

@castalla, I agree, overhyped product with more bugs than a tramps pants.  

And sorry to sound impatient but where’s the new firmware update?  I can’t wait to see which feature requests WC has chosen to ignore.

Well, after a little bit of investigating … I now have the unit streaming live tv via serviio.  Seems to work okay but the load times for the video are painful - and the lack of any info spinner, or whatever is really cheap and nasty.

I have an Aldi media player which does the serviio streaming much better with faster load times - and there’s a preview pane which shows the stream in miniature.   And the Aldi has volume control on the remote.

So, all in all, this unit is a big disappointment.   I’m surprised given WD has a reputation as a first-class IT company.  I read several reviews of this product - all glowing.  Seems these professional reviewers have as much integrity as a snake-oli salesman.  

An aside - is there any way to delete the junk services from the screen?   Frankly some of them are just a joke. 

Somebody in R&D really needs to kick some butt to get the firmware sorted - it looks pretty but it’s all flash and no action. 

I also use it with serviio and yes the loading times are slow for live vids.  It’s a known issue to the serviio developer (they have an open ticket for it as the issue’s been bought up a couple times) something to do with the buffer filling up before video plays, but it’s not been allocated a solution yet.  Anyway, can’t complain as I think serviio is excellent and it’s free.

The volume control not being on the remote is lame, but the kick in the teeth is that the issue is marked as resolved lol.  You can change the volume using an android app!  Talk about a kludge.

You can delete the junk.  Go to parental controls under settings and do it from there.  You’ll have a very empty looking services screen when you’re done.  I’m tempted to remove the pitiful youtube apps myself - they’re insulting.

Well, I defer to serviio, as they are likely to address the issue.  

I’m afraid it’s academic now - I returned the WD this morning - 90 euros of nothing new.  I’ll drag out the old Aldi box - works just as well if not better., and only cost 30 euros.

I think the Roku with Plex might be a better option. 

Good decision sending it back.

castalla wrote:
I’ll drag out the old Aldi box - works just as well if not better., and only cost 30 euros.

If it does, why buy a player that costs thrice as much in the first place?

My WDTV live is okay, it plays all my hard drive videos and music, but it is laggy and buggy.  The roku with plex on the other hand is AWESOME.  Super responsive and and quick loading.  Less fuss, more streaming.

i just wanted to throw this out there. I upgraded to the wd tv live from the wd tv recently ,and use unblock us for netflix and pandora . I was bummed to see there wasnt a n option for pandora on it right out of the box ( canada).  so i searched around here (and there) and found custom firmware and hoped i could load any app or channel thru that. Nope! Anyways i updraged the firmware finally this morning with my unblock us setting on. Wouldnt ya know it a few new things showed up (mostly useless- skitter etc…) Pandora is present and working. hooray!!!

WD is either lyig about the downsampling fix or they don’t have a clue, themselves. Always hard to tell with WD. It still downsamples 96 and 192 to 48 in every conceivable configuration.

Due to the new release today, we are closing this thread.