New Release - Firmware Version 1.06.34 (9/24/2012) for WD TV

Unfortunately, the early returns are bearing out what I figured all along.  This f/w is no better than the last 5 or 6 versions and I’ll be staying at 1.04.x until I retire this device.

fhall1 wrote:

Unfortunately, the early returns are bearing out what I figured all along.  This f/w is no better than the last 5 or 6 versions and I’ll be staying at 1.04.x until I retire this device.

Will disagree with your comment. I am not having any problems at all with this update. It installed without problems, it works without problems.

I would re-iterate the comment someone else posted.  If you have issues or if this fixes issues, please state whether you’re using a Live or Live+

fhall1 wrote:

We seriously waited over a year for this?

fhall - Q for U: If you are rolling back - what version of 1.04 do you recommend. I am running the first version of the WDTV Live…

Cheers,

VP

Vocalpoint wrote:

fhall1 wrote:

fhall - Q for U: If you are rolling back - what version of 1.04 do you recommend. I am running the first version of the WDTV Live…

Cheers,

VP

I’ll have to look next time I power up the box…but I’m not rolling back, I’ve never upgraded from 1.04.xx since I first got my box (it’s a Live+ BTW).  I’ve read all the horror stories here with each new f/w release and decided what ain’t broke ain’t getting fixed.  That said, I have very simple needs.  I use it exclusively to stream rips/downloads from my Synology NAS.  They are usually in HD and AVI or MKV format and no subtitles.  I don’t require youtube, or facebook, or Netflix or Twitter, or games.  No fancy cover art needed.  I log into the network share (not the DLNA server) of my NAS and navigate to the videos folder, then find the filename and play it.  My Live+ on 1.04.xx has been rock solid for my use.  YMMV.

fhall1 wrote:

Vocalpoint wrote:

fhall1 wrote:

Cheers,

VP

I have very simple needs.  I use it exclusively to stream rips/downloads from my Synology NAS.  They are usually in HD and AVI or MKV format and no subtitles.  I don’t require youtube, or facebook, or Netflix or Twitter, or games.  No fancy cover art needed.  I log into the network share (not the DLNA server) of my NAS and navigate to the videos folder, then find the filename and play it.  My Live+ on 1.04.xx has been rock solid for my use.  YMMV.

Same here. ALL I do with my LIve is stream MKV movies from our Windows Server. And like you - I am network share guy…nav to the Videos folder and select a title and hit Play.

I have no desire to click on anything on this box except Videos and I wish there was a way to have it immediately go to my Videos folder and be done with it.

While most of our main viewing is done in our media room with the Dune Smart D1 - which never ever has an issue - I only dragged this piece of **bleep** out of the closet when my wife wanted the ability to watch a movie up with the living room…so I hooked it back up. It’s not like I need new FW - but it would be nice to close this chapter with an update that makes the box rock solid for however long I may still use it.

I have 1.21  on there right now…but if this upcoming release is actually as bad as people are already making it out to be…probably stay on 1.21 forever now…

VP

Where do we get the “WD TV Remote 1.1” for android? The version in Google play is 1.0.2 and doesn’t find any devices.

The WD TV Remote App for iOS and Android should be available later today.

Thank you,

Kathy G.

Help. I upgraded to this firware today and now my WD TV LIVE PLUS unit is hanging. The refresh circle continues to move on the screen and will intermittienly show the home page for a second and then return to the moving circle. The firware was downloaded through the units homepage and then installed without interruption. I have tried to reset the unit by holding down the reset button but it does not help. Any advice?

DO NOT UPGRADE TO THIS FIRMWARE VERSION!!!

Yesterday I was checking WD website for updates to my WDTV Live PLus, I noticed the 1.06.34B update and was excited so I downloaded it.  I then proceed to upgrade the device and everything went smooth.  I began watching netflix on the device and watched 2 shows without and problems until I tried to select another show.  The device then locked up and was completely unresponsive to anything so I was forced to pull the plug and reboot.  Upon booting up, the device powers on and makes it past the first few screens but just enters a never ending loop of the loading animation with the black background.

I then proceed back to the website and noticed the update was removed.  I started to think I was crazy till I read this thread and seen that they have indeed removed the update for whatever reason but it was to late for me.

So thanks WD for bricking my device which is now completely useless and also out of warranty!

*EDIT*

I was able to get the device working again by pushing the factory reset button on the side near the USB port.  I hope this helps someone else if they experience this issue.

I have had the same problems. When did you hold the reboot button down (e.g., while the refresh circle was moving)? How long did you hold it down for?

I guys , I just did the upgrade and I have the same exact problem that you are describing.

After the upgrade  the circle keep turning and turning without stopping and once in awhile, the homepage appears for a second and goes back to the moving circle.  What should i do because at this point I have no clue what to do.

Thanks for help !

I had the never ending looping blue segmented circular logo on my Live Plus. Rolling back to the previous firmware seems to put things right again.   http://wdc.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/5800

edit:

Moved post to WDTV Live thread…

Well updated my WD Live (NOT plus) and yes it added a few new apps (YouTube Leanback  for example) but now I have more issues than before with it finding any of my computers on my network (this last time 2 minutes ago, I had to reset the network on it, turn off, tunr on 3 times, reset network login before it finally found the folders on one of network computers)  Also the start time for .mkv files seems to be over 45 seconds long which never happen before.  Resume takes just as long (I timed a number of files just to make sure it wasen’t me being impatient and nope all of them did it!)  If the android app doesn’t work I’m going back to the previous version which had it’s problems but not like this.  Firmware updates are great but only when they IMPROVE the device not screw it up even more.  Good thing I’ve had to do a downgrade before so I know what to do lol.  Better luck next time WD and hopefully you’ll fix these issues.

Update: Just tried a few larger (6gig+) .mkv files and those take a while to start and freeze and skip.  I remember a similiar issue with another older update.  Looks like I’m back to 1.05 for awhile (another year perhaps?) before we see another update that works.

Firmware Ver. 1.06.15_V is stable

1 Like

hi all,

i installed this new firmware 1.06.34 now the wd keeps asking me for a password , if i ignore and try to look at videos on my pc via internet. it tells me that the folder is empty.

i have tried rebooting via power and hole in box sometimes it will connect and i can access the files other times it keeps asking for password . it connects to internet ok every time but is erratic ???

Yep, thanks WD for telling my device there’s a new update that ends up screwing it up.  Now to fight to get this thing rolled back… ugh.

Thanks Heaps for sugesting this. I too made the mistake of upgrading to 1.06.34 and had major issues with playing youtube videos. It would not play properly and sometimes would freeze indefinitely. I have now rolled back to 1.06.15 and it works fine.

Hi All!

With the new firmware I havn’t more dolbi digital or DTS sound via optical cable, only stereo. I wanted downgrade my wd tv live to 1.06.15_v but the wroted method ( http://wdc.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/5800)didnt work. I havent got the “new firmware found icon”. I tryed with more pendrive & usb discs…

Any idea, other ways to downgrading?

I’ve been fighting the same issue since the update. Just followed the firmware downgrade instructions and finally it’s working  again.  If you don’t see the upgrade folder under settings I’d make sure you copy the files to the base directory of the drive. I cleaned all other files off my thumb drive just to be safe.