New Release - Firmware Version 1.06.15_V for the WD TV Live (8/9/11)

I got the same problem - after updating WDTV my USB drive was corrupted. Fortunatelly there is a simple way to fix it. Just attach it to Windows PC, open cmd and run (assuming drive G is broken for example) chkdsk G: /F

This will fix the file system in few seconds.

Rick-in-NJ just posted about a continuing issue in 1.06.16B that was not fixed, and I can confirm it for 1.06.15V.

Yes, for my .mkv files, the “Options” bug is fixed under 1.06.15… the text is no longer off the screen to the left and cropped by my overscan, but it is back to being center-justified as it should be.

And for DVD .iso files, the Audio in “Options” is center-justified and visible.

But, when playing a DVD .iso file, there is no subtitle text at all when using “Options”.  I can still cycle through the choices, with repeated button presses, but there’s no on-screen indication as to which subtitle track I’m choosing.

As a work-around, I am able to use the DVD’s menu to choose the proper subtitle track, instead of using the WDTV Options, without having to guess what track I’m choosing.

Is this new release OK with PlayON? 

By the way - for others looking for HULU and Netflix - using a PlayOn Server solves this.

This may have already been reported (not wanting to check back through 33 pages of posts) but my two large hard drive enclosures stopped working with my WD TV Live after this upate.  Rolling back to 1.05.04_V fixed the problem.

One is a Drobo, the other is a RAIDON RAID5 enclosure, both have more than 2TB capacity, 4K block size, formatted NTFS.  Neither were recognized by the WD TV Live after the update, both now work after the rollback.

I guess I will keep my eye on this forum for notification of new firmware that fixes this problem.  It shouldn’t be too hard to fix since it worked before the latest set of changes.

i am miss still the dutch languages:(

mzzl

rob_wdtv

Is there someway you can request new features?

I would really like to remove the “file manegment” option in the menu and simply use OPTIONS on the remote to get options like;

“Rename, Move, Delete, Flag” when any file is highlighted. (I personally only use list-view)

Flag=Great to set a flag on for example when you watch several seasons and cant remember which episode last viewed… a option to “flag” it would be great.

With this update my box doesn’t recognize my drives most of the time. Never have had this before so I switched back to the old version.

I have stayed on 1.02.21 Firmware for the reason that AC3 audio pass through does not work in the digital mode via HDMI for higher versions of the firmware.  With each release I try and see if the pass through works and then have had to revert to the 1.02 series.  I really would like to have DVD and BluRay menus, alas.

I tried the latest 1.06 and happily the audio appears fixed.  Then I realize the filesystem drivers are now broken.  I use a Western Digital 2 TB USB drive with NTFS as my storage.  Using the new firmware only about half of the drive is seen.

Perhaps in version 1.07 all of the bugs can be fixed?

I will be happy to provide any data which will help diagnose.

1 Like

After upgrading the firmware of my WDTV Live (which is hard wire networked and has worked for minths with my WHS 2011) now fails to find any network shares. Media Servers are found fine but no longer my Network Shares (NAS & WHS 2011).

I have tried to roll back to 1.04.22 _V but even after a successful roll-back I can stll no longer see any of the shares on my network - still just the Media Servers. Intewrnet access to YouTube and such like all work fine.

Any suggestions? Help!

I use 1.04.22 and digital audio (including AC3 pass through) over HDMI works fine for me.  I think this is the best firmware version available for people who don’t need >2TB disk support.> * * *
The_Rock wrote:

I have stayed on 1.02.21 Firmware for the reason that AC3 audio pass through does not work in the digital mode via HDMI for higher versions of the firmware.  

In previous firmwares when we shut down wdtv live and we are using a network connection by cable to a router o switch the light indicator turned off automatically as well but with this firmware I see in my router the light stays on like wdtv was on but it’s off.

The autoframe detection is a big letdown of this firmware. It was working perfect before.

" In previous firmwares when we shut down wdtv live and we are using a network connection by cable to a router o switch the light indicator turned off automatically as well but with this firmware I see in my router the light stays on like wdtv was on but it’s off."

Yes noticed that too. I am using the Netgear WNCE2001 for wireless ethernet and with this firmware the Live net port stays ON (powered) after the device is shut off. I don’t think it’s a big deal since the Live never really goes off,  more like in standby mode but that definitly new with this firmware.

When will you fix this bugy firmware? there is too many promlems which it was ok before. Please don’t let me lose my thrust to WD.

Is anyone experiencing any issues with 1.06.15_V’s firmware having this issue described in the subject of this post?

It’s happened to me twice on two separate files (mkvs plugged in via USB drive). The movie turns black, but the sound continues playing. The unit is unresponsive until I unplug it. When I plug it back in, I can return to the movie (resume option) about 15 minutes prior to the “disconnection.” At the point where the screen turned black, the movie continues, so it’s not a movie issue but seems to be related to the firmware.

This only started happening when I went to 1.06.15_V.

WD, please please please update a firmware fix. I see from other updates on this board that I’m not alone with this firmware being unpredictable at best.

p.s. I’m not using any apps or media devices and don’t even know what a Virgin superhub is. This is the barebones WDTV + a USB key known to work with the device that has survived many firmware updates. I think based on other reports that a roll back sounds like the best option, so I really hope the WD developers are busy working on a fix.

Any folder containing 720p files is not visible in media player list after update…why?

WD TV Live HD Media Player vers. 1.06.15_V

Win 7 64bit sp1

WMP12

Media streaming: ON

Homegroup: OFF

All videos are stored in ’ my videos ’ folder in C:Local Disk/Users/…/My Videos/

With this update I don’t get any more sound out of mp4. None. Nor through optical output (although configured for this) nor through HDMI (if configured for that). Only in stereo there is sound. Before there was no problem at all.

All the rest is fine for me. The mp4 files are quite regular, like:

Audio
ID/String                        : 101
Format                           : AAC
Format/Info                      : Advanced Audio Codec
Format_Profile                   : LC
CodecID                          : 40
Duration/String                  : 11min
BitRate_Mode/String              : konstant
BitRate/String                   : 127 Kbps
Channel(s)/String                : 2 Kanäle
ChannelPositions                 : Front: L R
SamplingRate/String              : 24,0 KHz
StreamSize/String                : 10,7 MiB (13%)
Language/String                  : Englisch
Encoded_Date                     : UTC 2011-08-20 15:12:57
Tagged_Date                      : UTC 2011-08-20 15:12:57
Material_Duration                : 702805
Material_StreamSize              : 11185508

Resetting and reconfiguring doesn’t help. How can that be?

@chritu:

If your receiver doesn’t support AAC decoding, then DIGITAL PASSTHROUGH WILL NOT WORK.    Setting the WDTV to stereo causes the audio to be converted to stereo PCM.

Go through the Audio Setup and turn OFF AAC in your HDMI settings.  See if that helps.

1 Like

hi

this latest release i think is the best so far…i can now play 2 channel dolby digital video files as a pass through to my amp…only problem is at low volumes there is a terrible humming noize…i rolled back to make sure it was not my amp and the humming disappeared…but ive gone back to this 1 as there r more benefits…ill just have to put up with the humming through optical for the time being

Hello!

I have an WDTV LIVE from the begining of this product. I made all the updates and also the last update  1.06.15_V. The problem is that after the last update all my dvd’s movies started to jump from a chapter to another without having the chance to watch that movies. Is exactly like I go in “Option” and press from a chapter to another. Another problem is that my bluray movies (mkv movies) are having problems. When I start an mkv movie the movie is played for 2 or 3 minutes and after that stop and go out from movie. Before this update everything was fine with my old and new movies. I also reset the WDTV LIVE to factory default but with no use. The same problem occured to a friend of mine which has the same product, after he made the firmware update. Please fix the bug. Thank you in advance!