New Release - Firmware Version 1.06.15_V for the WD TV Live (8/9/11)

With a sony str dh 800 it says 96 khz from the flacs.But the quality of the audio is same as it is in 320kbps mp3s.

I have same problems. Several mkv stopped playing , but not due some incompatability with fw, but because ZERO LENGTH! 

Do NOT TRY scan and recover file system with Windows - just try backup your content to other disk (and never use it with WD :slight_smile: ). I missed almost 20 big movies which I saw after firmware upgrading. Now them much shorter - I mean zero length.

Today night I will try roll back to 1.4.22 - hope it could working.

going back to 1.04.22 sounds like a good idea.

this zero file size problem occurred to me long time ago but not with the WD player. A co-worker accessed my external NTFS formatted harddrive with his Mac and every file he touched went 0 size. Renaming the file fixed it too maybe, i think.

So it looks like the guys @WD maybe did some “new” experiments with the file system handling. :neutral_face:

i wonder why they still offer that firmware for download. usually you take something buggy like that offline pretty quick and get a hotfix ready within 1-2 weeks.

After upgrading the firmware of my WDTV Live (which uses a hard wired networked connection and has worked for many months with my WHS 2011) now fails to find any of my network shares.

Media Servers are still found fine but no longer my Network Shares (NAS & WHS 2011).

I have tried to roll back to firmware version 1.04.22 _V but even after a successful roll-back I can not see any of the shares on my network - still just the Media Servers.I have tried the ‘restore factory defaults’ option as well as a press of the reset switch on the side. Still no joy :frowning:

Internet access to YouTube and such like all work fine.

Any suggestions? Help! Please!

After upgrading to 1.06.15 I could no longer playback .mov files from my QNAP NAS. Downgrading to 1.05.04 again fixed the problem. Is this a general problem with 1.06.15

Did you upgrade to Mac OS X Lion recently ? This could be the reason why it doesn’t see your network shares anymore. Look around the web, you will find more information about this issue. But main thing to know is that Apple did not update Samba to the latest version but changed something that broke what was working before here.

DarrenBull wrote:

After upgrading the firmware of my WDTV Live (which uses a hard wired networked connection and has worked for many months with my WHS 2011) now fails to find any of my network shares.

Media Servers are still found fine but no longer my Network Shares (NAS & WHS 2011).

I have tried to roll back to firmware version 1.04.22 _V but even after a successful roll-back I can not see any of the shares on my network - still just the Media Servers.I have tried the ‘restore factory defaults’ option as well as a press of the reset switch on the side. Still no joy :frowning:

Internet access to YouTube and such like all work fine.

Any suggestions? Help! Please!

I’m a user too. I suggest you to set the workgroup of your WD TV Live and the workgroup of your computer the same to each other.

Good luck.

Hi,

I have the workgroup for my WDTV and computers all set to the same - WORKGROUP. It has been like this for months and worked just fine - no issues until the firmware upgrade.

Last night in frustration I unplugged the power lead from the WDTV and left the devide overnight. This morning without doing anything other than simply pluggin in the power lead it suddenly dicovered my network shares!

This is using firmware revision 1.04.22 _V.

Best of luck everyone!

Haha! This must be a bad joke, right? 31 pages reporting the same issues and the firmware is still ONLINE and you know what… they are recommending to install it! *LoL* :smileyvery-happy:

Today my WDTV refused to play any files from NAS or USB… said they are all unsupported format.

I had no more options left than downgrade to version 1.04.22 V. Now all the “unsupported” files are playing great again (avi, wmv, mkv(with h.264))!

*Btw, when I first tried to downgrade the wdtv freezed on the wdtv-logo screen and I had to run the recovery to downgrade it.

tried to play a .flv file yesterday …

I cant foward it cause if I do … the video would be out of sync :frowning:

FLINGO AND REMOTE CONTROL:

I like Flingo but functions like rewind or fast forward are not working as expected using the remote control, for example, If you want to rewind, it is supposed to use the rewind button in the remote but instead you have to rewind using left or right button if you want to fast forward, also to pause a video, play/pause button doesn’t work either instead you have to press enter to pause.

The WD TV Life crashed when I tried to install the new firmware files I have downloaded. I hadthe files  transferred to MyPassport. Dialogue said it was upgrading, but nothing happened for more than 20 minutes. I made a hard reset, and again nothing happened. I disconnected the USB, and deleted the firkware files. Now the DW TV does not react to anything. Only shows initial logo. Does not recognize passport USB anymore. Please help, somebody!

I’m having problems with this firmware - USB symbol flashes for ages when trying to read some of my removable drives. At first it just needed a reset but happended everytime. Have since backdated to previous firmware and now it works fine.

Anyone else had this same issue?

Not myself, but many others. Speculation is that the new firmware is doing a more thorough check on devices that were not shut down cleanly.

How do you remove the USB drive from your WDTV Live or your computer?

Do you do a safe removal of the USB drive from whatever device it is connected to?

Or do you just pull the plug out or power off the USB drive?

Could this be related to the media library?. To all of you who have trouble accessing USB devices, what happens if you disable it?

No, it’s not directly related to the media library.

I’ve always had the library off, and my drives have always been scanned anyways at boot, as far back as I can remember.

And I did manage to partially re-create this.

I disconnected a drive (safely) and connected it to my PC, and ran chkdsk on it (which found no errors, as I expected).  I then safely removed the drive and re-connected it to the WDTV.  It scanned and scanned and scanned, and when the USB light stopped flashing, the drive had not been mounted.

I rebooted the WDTV and there was more scanning, but still the drive didn’t show up as an available device.

I rebooted again, and after the seemingly-usual amount of bootup scanning, the drive was back available.

I’d also had the same result, with a “missing” drive that only showed up after several reboots, a couple of firmwares back (as reported several others), so the missing drives and the “new” scanning under 1.06.15 don’t appear to be directly related to each other.

And, bizarrely, since I had _ just _ checked the drive and safely removed it, the “missing drives” doesn’t seem to be directly related to drive corruption, either.  It’s still very puzzling to me.

For that matter, since the drives had both appeared normally through many reboots under 1.06.15 up until that point, I’m puzzled why after disconnecting both of them from the WDTV and hooking both of them up to the PC, why one would continue to be normal, and why one would have gone missing for a couple of reboots.  They’re both 1TB My Book Essentials drives – no difference there to make one show up and one suddenly disappear.

And I put “new” in quotes because the 1.06.15 bootup scanning does appear to be slightly different than what I was seeing under previous firmwares, although others insist that their drives never had been scanned at boot at all under previous firmwares.

I also said I could only “partially” recreate it, because I still can’t produce the 20-minutes (or longer) scans that some are seeing, and because my drive did eventually reappear, unlike others who appear unable to ever get some drives to mount.

I’m pleased as punch with the WD Live…and the continuous updates.  The updates smooth out the minor issues. Like I couldn’t play mkv files before but now can. So cool!

In response to the reply to my post I always ‘safely remove’ my USB drives when used under windows.

I have two drives I tested, a samsung 500gb (which is causing issue) and an iomega 1tb which has continued to work without issue.

One other thing I found on this firmware is that some videos intermittently stop during playback but it was able to remember where I got to so it could resume.

ollycal wrote:

I’m pleased as punch with the WD Live…and the continuous updates.  The updates smooth out the minor issues. Like I couldn’t play mkv files before but now can. So cool!

meant that ironic? We all were able to play MKV files on the WD TV Live HD before. MKV is just a container, could you tell us please what’s the codec of the streams inside your MKV? (using the tool “mediainfo” for example)

p.s. concerning the overall trouble, it’s cool that it *still* plays MKV. ; )

I have also a big problem with the new firmware update.

I hava a Sharkoon 5-Bay RAID 5 Storage System on my WDTV Live with 6TB useable storage over USB Port.

With the older Firmware 1.05 it works and the WD TV find my storage.

The new 1.06 Firmware do not find the Storage.

It ist 6TB big an with GPT Filesystem

Greets

Alex

1 Like