New Release - Firmware Version 1.04.22_V for WD TV Live (3/8/11)

Hey guys and gals,

Just wanted let you know I downloaded the latest firmware and it’s like having a new product. The UI is lightening fast. I don’t what you guys did but thanks.

Appreciate the work. :slight_smile:

For those who have trouble with diaplaying movie icons over network share. Just read the manual!!!. Icon must be named folder.jpg  

This works for me and over USB and over network. Its no necessary to name it as a movie file. 

SoNic wrote:

That was and still is a BAD way to implement the skip. I would rather have it on the skip buttons - mode straight forward!

Nobody cares to skip directly to another video while watching one. Everybody expects rather to be able to skip in increments DIRECTLY pushing the “skip” buttons, without going thru FFWD before.

I have to agree. I never, ever want to skip to the next movie while watching a movie. Never.

Whereas it is very common to want to skip forward or back through a movie.

So WD should change this control logic - >> moves forward at a higher speed, and >>| moves forward in 10 min steps

At the very least implement something like ‘Are you SURE you want to skip to the next movie Y/N ?’

In reply to farstetp & SoNiC:

I actually like the possibility to skip movies in a folder! This comes handy whenever you have a lot of short video together in a folder, such as music-videos or children’s cartoons. It is also useful to navigate our archived raw home video files, since I need to see the videos in order to search inside (I cannot remember what the scene holds based on the time stamp of the file alone). So I think the enclosed remote is acutally well used.

However, I do think the WD TV Live could easily offer a lot more convenience by making better use of all the keys found on a USB-Keyboards, especially for navigation. it should also be able to understand much more infrared commands, although they do not have a button on the remote. Many consumer devices do this, and these additional commands can then be used by more elaborate remote controls, e.g. universal remotes such as my Logitech Harmony. This allows for a cheap and simple-to-use remote to be enclosed with the device, while offering a lot of comfort for nerds and expert users. :slight_smile:

It is great that the Tune-in app was added. One thing that is puzzling, one can set presets for channels [ex CFRB 1010 or 89.9 KCRW (public)]  but streams like KCRW Eclectic 24 (use search: KCRW to find), the option to preset does not exist in options - one then must use search to get at the channel every time!

Update the app to bookmark these channels too …please!

1 Like

Geezheeztall wrote:

It is great that the Tune-in app was added. One thing that is puzzling, one can set presets for channels [ex CFRB 1010 or 89.9 KCRW (public)]  but streams like KCRW Eclectic 24 (use search: KCRW to find), the option to preset does not exist in options - one then must use search to get at the channel every time!

Update the app to bookmark these channels too …please!

Very strange that you can’t preset via the WDTV, however there is a workaround. Go to  http://radiotime.com/ and sign in. Associate your WDTV with radiotime and then search for and add the preset from the browser. Now you can select it from your presets on the WDTV.

http://radiotime.com/station/s_25510/KCRW_Music.aspx

1 Like

I created an account, did my presets, and it worked!  Thank you for the work around!

Hopefully the bug is fixed, because having accounts and password for every mundane service is rather annoying.

Cheers

How did you get the registration code when associating the WD TV Live.

rostron wrote:

How did you get the registration code when associating the WD TV Live.

I must admit that I had already done the association on my Live Hub.

All OK : Framerate detection excellent but unfortunately Photo playback of 1920x1080 photos no longer works.

If the resolution is in 1080p quality is poor, You have to manually set resolution of WD Live to 1080i to see photos good again. I decided to downgrade to previous firmware version, and all works well again. A minor issue that needs to be solved 

Yes, the UI is working fast IF you select HDMI>>Auto>>Auto>>Yes( auto frame rate)

Try to select 1080p 24Hz it is working again slowly.

Anyway as I wrote in my previous post the auto detection is not working with some .MKV files. It doesn’t detect them as 24 fps as they are. I tried to convert them to m2ts and then the WD detected their actual frame rate - 24p. So maybe the problem exists only with some .MKV files. 

IFK120 wrote:

For those who have trouble with diaplaying movie icons over network share. Just read the manual!!!. Icon must be named folder.jpg  

This works for me and over USB and over network. Its no necessary to name it as a movie file. 

Hi IFK120 … this solution depending how you’ve organized your library … I have, for instance, all children’s cartoon in one folder, so the folder.jpg will be a generic image to show for toon folder, and the .jpg named like .avi to show the single image for every movie. For me work fine both local and NW shares. I guess that you have one folder for every movie, so put this folder.jpg  in every folder surely will work …

regards

Hi board,

for who is interesting, the media server app TVersity will work fine.

regards

Pulled the trigger and upgraded the firmware over the weekend, and no problems. DLNA streaming of FLAC files, photos, and video clips is still functioning as expected. Bonus: a couple of the DVD .iso files that had previously not worked correctly are now functioning perfectly, so thanks for the improvement in that area! Also thank you for fixing the ‘progress bar not disappearing’ bug.

Hi guys…I currently am using a usb hub and have a wireless usb key and a keyboard plugged into it and both are working. I am worried if I upgrade to the latest firmware I will lose my keyboard functionality.(I believe I read this somewhere). Is this the case? Thanks in advance. Mike

I tried the new factory firmware, but which is anomalous in several films in the center-channel speakers and the sound faded away not to return only if you start afresh movie. Oh yeah, and do not list what type of language in the audio only, and even if you become too vague and not well illustrated.

Bug: set  Setting>Video>Subtitles to ON. This is not persistent. It appears that the device turns this off, either because a video plays in preview or the device has been turned off.

Fix to implement: If a user explicitly navigates to tthe setting menu to turn subtitles on then leave them on unless the user retruns to the same menu to turn them off. This setting must be persistent after reboots and nothing should change this setting as it does at the moment.

This is the single most irritating bug with WdTV Live, Everytime I fire up the device I have to go to settings>Video and check if the subtitles are on. They have often been turned off. Please fix this, if you go to the trouble of navigating to the subtitles system setting to turn it on then why would the device decide to turn them off afterwards. I registered on this forum with the sole intention of asking for this bug to be fixed.

I"m too scared to upgrade my WDTV Live Plus unit.  I tried last time and screwed up my unit so I had to go back to the old factory firmware. Will just stay where I am.  I don’t think the WDTV tech guys are reading our postings.  Hmm.

GOOD JOB!! I love these two new features below: Resolved problem where high sample rate audio was being downsampled to 48KHz. Supports Tune-In radio application. Also the Fix below is excellent! Resolved video playback where audio takes 5 seconds to catch up after fast-forward or re-wind. Since I need larger menu font and FTP feature. So I’m going to wait for B-RAD’s updated firmware. Thank for your effort!!

I also like the update, because I always use an USB Keyboard :wink:

But I still have the problem of distorted sound, if the audio track level isnt very low. That concerns some movies, but also nearly every radio station. The music is generally totally distorted. I suppose that the firmware has a low limit for dynamics. Is there any solution for that?