New Release - Firmware Version 1.04.22_V for WD TV Live (3/8/11)

when the issue with the 4 sectors hard drive is gona be fix?  i have a 3tb book, and i cant used it on my WDTVlive+!!..

Since this release I have lost the ability to play most of the videos in my library. The file type is mkv and the settings were tailored to work with the media player when I bought it in August '10. Suddenly I cannot play those, and I have never been able to play a DVD or an ISO of a DVD.

I would like to revert to a previous copy of the firmware if it is available.

Can anyone advise why I should update from 1.02.21 to this one when I am only using it for streaming media from the server. I am not using any internet application such as youtube or any other site for that matter. Any reason I should update to the newest version.

meri1 - If 1.02.21 is doing everything you want then it’s really a personal decision whether you want to mess with that by trying an upgrade.  If you have a couple of hours to spare give it a shot because 1.04.22 is really good and you might find stuff you like that you weren’t expecting.  There have been some mis-steps though so there’s a chance you’ll have problems.  Make sure you have the ability to roll back to 1.02.21, and make sure you do all of the recommended resets after the upgrade. > * * *
meri1 wrote:

Can anyone advise why I should update from 1.02.21 to this one when I am only using it for streaming media from the server. I am not using any internet application such as youtube or any other site for that matter. Any reason I should update to the newest version.

kingmi wrote:

Since this release I have lost the ability to play most of the videos in my library. The file type is mkv and the settings were tailored to work with the media player when I bought it in August '10. Suddenly I cannot play those, and I have never been able to play a DVD or an ISO of a DVD.

I would like to revert to a previous copy of the firmware if it is available.

http://wdc.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/5800

kingmi wrote:

Try to remove alle files in .wd_tv directory (if local disk, eject it and do it from a computer). It fixed my similar probleme completely. You may leave the thumbs subdirectory if you want.

Cocovanna

Thanks for the link, couldn’t find it on my own.

I’m fixed up now

You may be onto something there. I found that I can play files from another computer on my network without the problem I originally posted. Whatever the trouble, I can’t blame the media player.

Thanks for your suggestion.

mike

marcometer wrote:
Hi there. Since i updated my device to 1.04.22 the network shares from my windows 7 ultimate laptop (via ethernet cable) have disappeared. the box simply does not recognize the laptop anymore (at network shares section but displays it at the mediaserver section. that is pretty annoying and never happened to me anytime before - any workaround until this gets fixed? i already rebooted box and laptop. win xp prof and dm800HD network shares get recognized normaly :frowning:

Seriously. When is this thing gonna work properly with Windows 7??!!!

Stone_Age wrote:

Seriously. When is this thing gonna work properly with Windows 7??!!!

It works for me since FW 1.02.

For you? Everybody’s guess…

I’m having no probelms with win 7 x64. Try resetting you WDTV live

so far no problem with this new firmware. I have been using the box included firmware 1.2.21 since i’ve read various problem with previous releases. I was forced to upgrade to the latest firmware because of the “resolved AC3 passthrough” 

Now its working AC3 passthrough via HDMI to my LCD 

Thanks WD!

Apiong,

If you can elaborate more on the AC3 passthrough, what was it doing in 1.02.21. I am using the same firmware and getting all 5.1 or 7.1 channels to my receiver. Is the box doing some processing before it is sending to my receiver or it is just passing it through. I was always under the impression that it passes through the audio to the receiver in its original format.

shavanni wrote:

I’ve turned the thing on and off numerous times.

Stone_Age wrote:

shavanni wrote:

I’ve turned the thing on and off numerous times.

But have you reset it using the side button.

1 Like

It’s a shame that the toslink sync issue ( http://community.wdc.com/t5/Firmware/Asynchronism-in-mkv-HD-Material/td-p/12799 )) still have not been corrected :frowning:

WD, can you please fix this in the next release?

(I have a TV which can not play nor pass thru DTS sound, so my WD TV Live is connected to the amplifier.)

The WDTV Live box Toslink issue will never be resolved. The Toslink synchronization issue between consumer devices is a well documented issue. Google Toslink, there are plenty of technical explanations why Toslink is a bad design. Briefly; the problem is an inherent design issue in the original Toslink specifications. The Toslink transmitter digital clock and the receiver digital clock cannot synchronise, therefore giving an un-natural bass sound. That is why professional equipment doesn’t use the Toslink standard. Live with it or use the stereo analogue output. (I don’t work for WD or any other manufacturer. I build audio equipment and read the audio standards not blame the manufacturers)

1 Like

@meri1

actually my only setup is WDTV Live, Samsung LCD TV via HDMI…

I have been experiencing “no audio” to HD Movies with AC3 for audio…

after the upgrade to the latest firmware…problem solved :smiley:

thepanoguy: Thanks for the answer, although I’m sad to read that. I didn’t know about the bad toslink specs. Then I wonder why didn’t WD designed the player to have coaxial digital output, instead of toslink… does coaxial digital audio has the same timing problem?

Can you please tell me if there is some splitter which can split the audio from HDMI to a Coax digital input?

Coaxial digital and Optical digital are the same thing.   They’re both S/PDIF.

And even if you converted the audio from HDMI to Coax, it’d still be S/PDIF.

1 Like