New Release - Firmware Version 1.04.12 for WD TV Live Streaming Media Player (11/17/11)

Pull the power out and in again and let it try to boot,you will get a recovery screen come up to upgrade from usb stick

Drac

1 Like

Pecker wrote:

I tried to update again, but it won’t have it.

I get the circle for q2 or 3 minutes, then a message:

“The device fails to check for firmware update.  Please check your network connection and try again.”

Which is fine…except there’s nothing wrong with the connection.  I’m getting HD video from You Tube just fine, and clicking on ‘Check Connection’ I get 3 ticks and “Network connection check passed”.

I’m going to dowload to a USB stick, but I’d appreciate any help with the above.

Cheers.

Steve W

I had the same issue with both of my SMP boxes and had to do a manual update using a memory stick.

When I first set them up, they each found two updates automatically, performed upates/reboots, etc. bringing me to 1.3.10.  I think the 1.3.10 version broke the automatic (and over the internet) firmware update feature, and remember one time trying to see if there was a new version manually and just got the spinning circle of death.

I had to update both of the boxes last night using the memory stick approach and all worked fine.  After I updated to 1.04.12 I performed a manual “new firmware” search just as a check and it seems to work properly again, and the box promptly returned the message that I was using the latest firmware.

I’ve updated the f/w but I still cannot see any content via the Media Server option - Says there is no media in the folder

Do I need to do anything special with the My Videos/Music/Pictures folders?

Note: All files are viewable on my ps3 (Using TVesrity as the media server)

Edit: Just seen there’s an issue with the TVesrity - Although I had the same issue when using Media Player 12

Well finally sorted out the scraping with my nas.Usual user error LOL.

Noticed that Accuweather doesnt have the change countries option anymore,cant find cities in the UK

Drac

Hi Guys,

After the firmware update I lost my WiFi connection to my network.  Tried pretty much all of the network setup a few times and kept getting a could not connect error.

For security reasons I have network SSID hidden. I found that with the new firmware the WDTV live would only connect if I set the SSID as visible.

The previous firmware 1.04.10 worked even with the SSID hidden.  My router is a Fritzbox 7390.

Has anybody else had this issue or did I just win the lottery?

Cheers

Tim

Hiding the SSID doesn’t strengthen security 1 bit.

Has anyone of you scraping guys already tried this?

Yes, WDTVHubGen works great and flawless - even with the SMP - creates background images and movie info. Verry fast while scrapping from my NAS. And is doesn’t depends on the Medialibary function. I still open my native shares and could view these Moviewall Sheet with alternating background pictures.

Sorry I didn’t post any updates on my woes last night - I went to see Thomas Dolby.

I managed the update (thanks for the tips - they worked) and currently all appears well.

Yet to scrape, etc.

Steve W

So I’m now using Twonky Media Server

TVesrity 1.9.3 played my 1080p MKVs fils shockingly poor and as discussed by someone on here 1.9.6 has issues with stuff appearing (not even sure is 1080p playback issues are resovled) 

Twonky GUI is not the best but at the mo it works - Hopefully others fix up bcause I dont realy want to pay for the full product - Anyone know how logn the trail lasts for?

Also is there a good program that’ll add thumbnails to my video folders? 

Anyone else having NetFlix (US) issues?

I tried watching it last night and couldn’t get a video to start up and it all but locked up the UI.   I figured it was just the “Friday Night Rush” so didn’t think anything about it.

But it wouldn’t work this morning, either.

My other NetFlix devices work fine, though.   

Man I cant get sound out of my movies now, I have to reboot it and will get sound for a little while then I get nothing until I reboot again.

How do you use the screen capture feature?

Ok guys Im having an issue here. I cant seem to get the WD SMP to connect to NAS (QNAP 459 Pro II) via SMB to get the dashboard working (and get the metadata all sorted). I have installed the latest firmware and when I go to content source and select “Network Share” and then select NFS it displays fine. However when i select SMB/CIFS and enter the same password as NFS it does not connect. I even cleared all network share logon info and tried again and nothing.

It also wont let me add my NAS as a content source for the Media Library. Its giving me the same “unable to connect to the selected source”

Please help this is really annoying!

Hally83 wrote:

?..However when i select SMB/CIFS and enter the same password as NFS it does not connect. I even cleared all network share logon info and tried again and nothing.

It also wont let me add my NAS as a content source for the Media Library. Its giving me the same “unable to connect to the selected source”

Please help this is really annoying!

• *NFS doesn’t use passwords, so I’m not sure what you mean.

Ah sorry i meant the same admin username/password that i connect to the network share folders with my PC’s. The PC uses the PC name first then the logon details eg username would be: “DAVE-PC/admin” etc, so I even tried that in the username but still wouldnt let me. The group “everyone” is in the folder permissions and guest logon is set to full access but it wont even let me logon with no username password.

It seems weird I have set the correct folder permissions I dont know what I have done wrong. I see you have a QNAP so it must be able to be done.

SMP couldnt find/connect my Seagate Home Nas until I edited the Workgroup to SeagateGroup, It then found it and asked for my login details to the Nas and I was then able to add the nas to the media library to allow the scraping

Drac

Yeh I have already changed the Workgroup to the group the NAS is on “HNAS” I have no problem with the logon screen coming up… it is just not accepting the correct username and password (and Im using the admin account - read/write access to everything aswell)

Well I just went in a checked again after you mentioned it and I had the workgroup set to HNAS and not QNAP… sigh rookie mistake. However I just changed it and it is still coming up with unable to connect. The weird thing is, is if I clear the network share logon info and then just use the “anonymous” logon info it comes back saying invalid username/password which makes me think it is connecting but for some reason it cant get to the share.

I am in the process of copying my media from my HDDs to my new MBL 3tbs.

I’ve had a couple of glitches, but now all is well.

My 3 MBLs will hold:

1 - Films A-E

2 - Films F-M

3 - Films N-Z

In addition I have 2 x 2tb HDDs, one of which has ‘Film Collections’, the other has all my non-film media (TV programmes, music, pics).

So far so good.  I’ve set the Media Library to be compiled just from the master folders ‘A-E’ (and so on) inside the videos folder.  I can access them fine through the ‘Files’ route, and they’ve all hooked up to the Media Library.  All the previously scraped data (scraped whilst on the HDD) shows fine, and the couple I’ve ripped  more recently scraped manually without a problem.

When I get chance the non-film HDD will be transfered to a 4th 3tb MBL, and I’ll be able to see if it works as I hope (viewable through folders, but not clogging up the media library).

Well done, WD.  After more setting up than I’d have liked, this is almost the perfect media player, doing absolutely everything I want it for…

…apart from passing dts-MA.

Steve W