New Release - Firmware Version 02.03.01-024 for My Book Live (10/25/11)

Possibly not.

Feedback:Ā  The drive sleep function works with the new firmware:

Oct 27 02:50:04 localhost logger: Enter standby
Oct 27 02:51:06 localhost logger: exit standby after 62
Oct 27 03:02:10 localhost logger: Enter standby
Oct 27 04:48:29 localhost logger: exit standby after 6379
Oct 27 04:59:34 localhost logger: Enter standby
Oct 27 12:27:44 localhost logger: exit standby after 26890
Oct 27 12:38:49 localhost logger: Enter standby
Oct 27 12:53:12 localhost logger: exit standby after 863
Oct 27 13:04:17 localhost logger: Enter standby
Oct 27 13:38:48 localhost logger: exit standby after 2071
Oct 27 13:49:53 localhost logger: Enter standby
Oct 27 14:46:44 localhost logger: exit standby after 3411

What is interesting is this one event where within seconds or a minute after 10 minutes when the drive goes to sleep, something does wake it up.Ā  Apart from that, things are fo far OK, apart from the outstanding bugs.

Just updated MBL to the latest firmware. Everything went well with the update and MBL went to sleep after 10 minutes. Nothing disturbed it for about 1.5 hours. Tomorrow morning Iā€™ll check again the logs and see if it was asleep all night.

Cheers!

is this firmware worth the upgrade now? need more comments before iā€™ll upgrade. I donā€™t want to regret it at the end.

In answer to your question, the update addresses a security issue where files coule be easily accessed without the need to supply a user name or password.Ā  W.D. would have performed additional testing to make sure it all worked find and may have applied a few fixed that have not been documented.

Iā€™m running the current firmware. For some reason performing the automatic update where the MBL downloads the firmware and performs the update didnā€™t work but manually downloading the firmware and then updating ā€œfrom a fileā€ worked.

Security is a big issue for me so I installed the latest firmware.

Same experience. The first attempt was with the automatic download via the drive. Second time around I did a manual download to my computer and a manual upgrade. That seems to be working.

Since this firmware update, my data transfer speed is very slow!
Via iTunes I store movies on my MyBook Live and play them via my Playstation3.
Since the upgrade, the sound stops suddenly when in a movie, and a few seconds later the screen freezes.
I got everything wired, no WiFi.

Could it be that this has something to do with the upgrade? It seems too much of a coincidence to me,
By the way: the reboot after upgrading didnā€™t work. It said via web interface there was no data at all, II had to switch off the power to reboot manually. After that, my data was back.

Two of usĀ  reportedĀ  that firmware automatic download/update did not work properly. You are the third. We both now report the drive is working after doing a manual download to your computer and a manual firmware upgrade.

Download the file from http://wdc.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/5735. This is a big file. Read the on-line instructions.

You might consider a re-set on the mbl (which is supposed just reset the dashboard/os and not have any effect on the drive/data).

To manually upgrade the firmware, go to the IP of your mbl. Chose settings\updates and select Update From File, point the mbl to where you downloaded the upgrade file. The whole thing takes ten minutes+ if I remember correctly.

Problem isā€¦ If I go to my dashboard, all I get is this error message:

Warning: require(cake/config/paths.php) [function.require]: failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /var/www/UI/index.php on line 54

Fatal error: require() [function.require]: Failed opening required ā€˜cake/config/paths.phpā€™ (include_path=ā€˜.:/var/www/Admin/webapp/includes/:/var/www/Admin/webapp/classes/api/:/var/www/Admin/webapp/lib/pear/includes/:/var/www/UI:/var/www/UI/app/ā€™) in /var/www/UI/index.php on line 54

And my main problem is that network errors occur since the update. Is that a known issue?

I have no idea what that gibberish means.

Try re-set. Push the re-set button in the back (use unbent paperclip or the like. Hold it down for 5 seconds. Wait sixty seconds and until no light is blinking on the front. Unplug the unit from AC Wait 60 seconds. Plug it back in.

Wait 60 seconds. Try (once again) to access the dashboard. If it works again, do the manual upgrade as outlined above.

If still no good, contact WD tech support.Ā  The firmware update failure may have toasted the ROMBIOS.

Good luck

About general network errors. I doubt that a failed mbl firmware upgrade is going to mess up your network, but anything is possible. Do your typical network troubleshooting. Access your router (if it is an access point/router and not just a hub). Access your adsl/cable modem/interface. Do what ever to prove your network is working and things attached to it are working, etc. Unplug the Ethernet cable from the mbl, check your network connections again. After that plug the mbl back in, and run tests, attempt to access the mbl.

That is not good.  To me that says that the files that comprise of the Dashboard are not on the MBLā€™s system partition or some comfiguration has gone wrong.  In this sort of instance I would say to power down your MBL (pull toe power plug from the back of the drive, count to 10 and power it back-up) and try to access the Dashboard.

The reset button does not do much.  All it does is . . .

#!/bin/sh
#!/bin/sh
#
# Ā© 2010 Western Digital Technologies, Inc. All rights reserved.
#
# resetButtonAction.sh
#
# This is called by resetbtnd whenever the reset button has met the criteria for a reset. This script implements the actions for the reset button.
#
PATH=/sbin:/bin:/usr/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/local/sbin

logger "reset button pressed, invoking reset actions"

# remove owner password
owner=`getOwner.sh`
modUserPassword.sh ${owner}

# set root password back to default
echo "root:welc0me" | chpasswd

# set network to dhcp
setNetworkDhcp.sh

reboot

There is a way to factory restore the firmware WITHOUT losing data but it requires a bit of knowledge, SSH enabled and preparation. In your case it seems like it might be too late.

If power cycling does not work then youā€™ll need to contact WD technical support.

http://support.wdc.com/contact/index.asp?lang=en

HAUSa wrote:

Warning: require(cake/config/paths.php) [function.require]: failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /var/www/UI/index.php on line 54

Fatal error: require() [function.require]: Failed opening required ā€˜cake/config/paths.phpā€™ (include_path=ā€˜.:/var/www/Admin/webapp/includes/:/var/www/Admin/webapp/classes/api/:/var/www/Admin/webapp/lib/pear/includes/:/var/www/UI:/var/www/UI/app/ā€™) in /var/www/UI/index.php on line 54

And my main problem is that network errors occur since the update. Is that a known issue?

Thanks for your helps!
Luckily I can still access my data with my MacBook, so a full restore wonā€™t inflict data loss :slight_smile:
Going to try things tomorrow.

That must be a big relief.

Keep us posted on how you resolve this. Step-by-step would be great for others who experience this problem.

Itā€™s a Lunux operating system in the MyBook Live and several free GNU licenced services are running within it. BEcause the dashboard web service is broken should not break any other service like Twonky, Samba and a few other services that operate in the background.

If you enabled SSH access before the Dashboard/Web UI malfunctioned then the fix is quite simple as as a slight alteratio to one file and then re-applying the firmware will essentially factory restore the firmware, replacing whatā€™s there, preserving the user and shares configuration and leaving the user data partition intact.

HAUSa wrote:
Thanks for your helps!
Luckily I can still access my data with my MacBook, so a full restore wonā€™t inflict data loss :slight_smile:
Going to try things tomorrow.

NFS seems work fine on this firmware. But I didnā€™t change the settings this time. I decreased nfsd instance count to 2 and enabled async before. So that might cause instability. Probably there is no bug with default settings.

Iā€™ve enabled rsync though.

Anyone having problems connecting iTunes to MBL after FW update?

It seems my iTunes (win7) canā€™t connect anymore to MBL. I de/reactivated iTunes server on MBL, nothing changed.

Myron, Iā€™d really like to try your factory restore method. Iā€™m having problems accesing the drive remotely; Iā€™ve tried everything, checked and rechecked router setting, open ports etc etc (the only thing left is to replace router but I really donā€™t think it will do) and WD support sugested factory restore. Unfortunately I really donā€™t have where to move all my data before restoring.

So, can you explain to me how to proceed using ssh?

Thanks.

LE: it seems iTunes 10.5 is the problem for iTunes server; read that on another topic :smiley:

Still the need to factory restore remains.

In reading the release notes - it appears that this update only addresses a single issue. Ā I would have thought that this update would have encompassed a handful of issues and not just the one listed.

The additional issues may be in the process of being addressed (wonder of any W.D. staff can confirm or deny this?) but the security bug was quite important.

Imagine someone putting sensitive information on their MyBook Live and someone unauthorised gains access to the file because there is an unintentional back door.Ā  Western Digital will get it in the neck for releasing a firmware update that allows files to be accessed without a security check.Ā  That would be awful P.R.!

By rights the only way to blank the ownerā€™s (aka. ā€œAdminā€) password would require physical access to the MyBook Liveā€™s reset button and no other way.

Iā€™m hoping, to silence the people who are having LED problems, that W.D. put in the next firmware a facility to disable or enable the blue and green LED statuses.Ā  It the LEDā€™s are not constantly powered then they canā€™t really burn out.

HAUSa wrote:

Okay, I tried to reset and disconnect from power for 10 seconds.

Then it rebooted and the LED stays red now.

If I ping the MBL, all packages are received.

Still, I do not have dashboard access, the same error message occurs.

When I try to connect via SSH, it says ā€œConnection refusedā€.

The other problems (lost connection, my PS3 saying ā€œCorrupt dataā€ or freezing movies) are still there.

I really think this has something to do with the firmware update, itā€™s the only thing that has changed lately.

How can I upgrade of downgrade manually without dashboard or SSH access?

Thanks!