New My Passport 4 TB died after 4 days (need to recover data)

I always buy WD drives because they usually last anything from 2 to 3 years, or more. This one seems to be the exception to the rule as it lasted only 4 days. Clearly, that is not the norm.

During its first 3 days I moved my entire TV series collection from 2 other 2 GB drives to this one. I have no other backup because the data totals over 3 Gb. This data is very important to me but because the drive can no longer be read (it just makes a clicking noise), I don’t know how to recover all this data.

Incidentally, this drive was connected to my home cinema system. I find it very strange that after copying the data over to it, the drive was instantly viewable by the system and played to perfection for the first day. Then yesterday, when switching on the system, the drive no longer appeared. I went to check the USB cable had not been disconnected but it was fine and the LED on the drive was lit however, it emitted a ticking sound as though it was having difficulty reading from the disk surface. Connecting it to my computer makes no difference; it just makes the same ticking sound and is no longer recognized. I admit, I know very little about hard drives but it seems to me that the drive may be reparable so that the data can be recovered.

So, I’m wondering if repair is an option as I bought the drive through Amazon who insist I return it for a refund. The Amazon seller tells me he has no more stock so cannot replace it.

What are my options please?

Hi powerball_club,

Maybe you should try contacting WD’s Technical Support about this.

To Contact WD for Technical Support
https://support.wdc.com/support/case.aspx?lang=en
The link below will allow you to call support.