New house, need new setup

Hi All,

I currently have a WD Live SMP with portable HDD as well as a WD Mybook Live.  I use the SMP to stream TV programmes to my ipad and watch through the TV and the Mybook live for films direct to the TV.  The Mybook live really struggles to stream, but that’s not a major issue.

I’m moving to a new house which is 3 stories and I will have 2 TVs.  I want to be able to access all my contect on both TVs, but the top floor TV will be a home cinema and will need to have the best quality.

Is there any way of using my current setup to be able to access everything on both TVs, or would I need anything etc.  

Thanks,

Dom

Hi,

The setup that you have is good. however, make sure that you get a good bandwith since you are going to have multiple device over your network. 

Are you going to streaming the files with a wireless connection or wired to the tv on the second floor?

Wired to the 2nd floor, wireless to the ground floor, but only SD quality.  The area has Sky fibre already, will that be enough, or is it more to do with the router?

it has more to do with the router

for the wired connection, I doubt you’ll have any issues with SD content

and even the wireless connection, I doubt it

although it’s more likely on a wireless connection

and of coarse HD content could be a whole different story

I’m using Powerline AV (or EOP Ethernet Over Power) as option.

eg. My Wireless router is located at one end of the house … but the TV Room is on the other side of the house and the Wi-Fi signal is very poor.  I thought about ranage extenders, but wanted the best speed with minimal fuss.

So i bought this (below)  … Netgear Ethernet of power, no problem streaming HD content  (the netgear has 4 ports eg. PC, WDTV, PS3 ,Smart TV all connected)

Westen Digital also make one