New FW 4.00.00 upgrade results

daytrdr wrote:

Thanks JoaquinAR and gereksiz…

Can you please do the following:  

getSystemLog.sh

This will put a system log zip into /CacheVolume/

Then you can either SCP the file to your computer or move it to /shares/Public/ and copy it that way.  I have sent a PM to you both with my email address.

I am going to head home in the glorious southern-California traffic jam, but I will check your system logs when I get home.

Thanks.

Sorry, already updated the firmware again using SSH. That seems to have fixed the DashBoard.

Okay, I’m beginning to get really, really, REALLY upset…

I received an email from WD telling me, “Hey! We’ve got this new firmware for you, and it’s got these great improvements! Go get it now!”

I can’t say I’ve had the no-dashboard problem that others are reporting. The firmware installation seemed to go okay.

But I did encounter the following

• The My Cloud would not start up, leaving the white light (not flashing) visible for extended lengths of time. If i recall, the manual says that this is a symptom of some kind of failure to boot and that the drive should be powered down and restarted.
  • When the My Cloud *did* start up, it took much longer to get to the blue light stage than before.
  • Several times I received an error message along the lines that the USB server had failed. This has never happened. I had a 2TB My Book plugged into the USB port. I still haven’t been able to get it to appear on my desktop, or for its shares to display on the dashboard.
  • Worst of all, everything seems to take a really, REALLY long time. Much longer than it used to. The drive is grinding away, but it takes 10-15 MINUTES to display the contents of my iTunes Media directory.
  • Even the WD dashboard pages take longer to populate (with device names, etc.) than it ever did before.
  • Some apps that depend on data on the drive just hang, because it apparently takes so friggin’ long to access that data.

This is utterly unacceptable. The very existence of this thread makes me feel like some kind of guinea pig beta testing the latest firmware. Why did WD not have a bunch of people run it through its paces before distributing it. This is insane. Why on Earth would you release a FIRMWARE update without being absolutely certain that (a) it worked, and (b) it was an improvement over the previous version?!?!?

I just don’t get it. Please enlighten me. I’m not a *nix expert. I barely know what SSH means. I just want to use my drive. Don’t ask me to send any logs. I don’t even know what your instructions on how to do that mean.

WD makes good drives. Why, o why does the software just $uck so, so hard?

Just make my drive work, I beg you. Please!

what is SSH?

I received an error that its taken too long to reboot and to check the drive for a red light. If there is a red light I should reboot in manually. No red light. No dashboard either. I want to do a manual reboot anyway.

How does one go about doing that?

I just went back to previous firmware version… Seems this one is still not stable enough. And seems to be tweaked so you can’t install anything.

DGRYAN1977 wrote:

what is SSH?

I received an error that its taken too long to reboot and to check the drive for a red light. If there is a red light I should reboot in manually. No red light. No dashboard either. I want to do a manual reboot anyway.

How does one go about doing that?

SSH is a command line… But you have to had it enabled previously. If you don’t know what it is, then chances are you haven’t enabled it.

I don’t know if there is some way to enable it after that. WD support maybe?

Where did you get the previous FW version? I’ve got to do the same. This is insane.

http://download.wdc.com/nas/sq-030401-230-20140415.deb.zip

Either just wget/unzip from the disc or download it, unzip it and copy to the disc.

BUT… I don’t take any responsability. Disclaimmer, blah, blah:

You’d have to edit the file /usr/local/sbin/updateFirmwareFromFile.sh commenting out the lines 256 through 259 since it won’t allow you to apply any version lower than the existing one:

# if [-z "${update_container}"] && ["${vnew}" -lt "${vnow}"]; then
    # error="failed 200 \"invalid firmware package\""
    # pre-update_error $error
    # fi

After that, you can downgrade the disc:

/usr/local/sbin/updateFirmwareFromFile.sh /DataVolume/shares/Public/sq-030401-230-20140415.deb
2 Likes

God bless you.

You’ve just begun to reduce the volume of steam coming out of my ears. I think I can manage to do this.

Thank you, thank you, thank you!

pinax wrote:

God bless you.

You’ve just begun to reduce the volume of steam coming out of my ears. I think I can manage to do this.

Thank you, thank you, thank you!

Haha. Glad it helped. I’ve been having the same frustration during the day. Why do you think I found the solution?  :stuck_out_tongue:

So basically without Dashboard, Im screwed?

How can WD update this firmware if we cant access dashboard?

Im not sure I feel comfortable screwing with command lines

I can’t tell… I just share how did I solve it hoping it can help someone else.

I guess you’d have to contact support trying not to yell at them too much?  :frowning:

If you’re as unhappy as I am – and I’m speaking to all the members on this forum – please chime in on the thread I just started here:

http://community.wd.com/t5/WD-My-Cloud/new-FW-utterly-UNACCEPTABLE/td-p/761484

People’s livlihoods depend on their data. WD just royally effed us all over.

I’m in exactly the same boat.

(A) I’m uncomfortable with command lines. I’m just not that smart. I can do it, but it freaks me out, and it takes an eternity.

(B) When you DO fiddle with command line stuff, you get this dire warning that your warranty might be voided…

This really $ucks.

DGRYAN1977 wrote:

So basically without Dashboard, Im screwed?

How can WD update this firmware if we cant access dashboard?

Im not sure I feel comfortable screwing with command lines

Hello,

WD will help you resolve this issue.  Please contact our support team:   http://support.wdc.com

hey daytrdr–

Do you not see the irony here?

WD just rammed an “improvement” down our throats (FW update), one which is now causing many of us to have to “resolve issues” by plowing through the WD support process (which is not only unpleasant and time consuming–it should never have been necessary in the first place!).

People. Depend. On. Their. Data.

(How can I explain that any more clearly?)

By releasing this firmware “update” prematurely, many of us are screwed.

We should not be shunted off into the support process.

WD should be frantically finding and handing out solutions. Like, now.

You just don’t get it.

It appears my MAC(s) no longer directly connect via Finder to mycloud shares, which means my time machine backups do not work - the main reason i purchased the thing in the first place. I’ve tried two different macs with the same results. Just get ‘connection failed’

It works via windows 8 - i have several Network drives to multiple shares on a Windows 8.1 PC

It works if i map an smb share in osx mavericks, but thats no good for time machine.

The firmware also reset my twonky media server specific shares back to the standard ‘Public’. I had to reset them all up again. Shoddy when firmware overwrites a custom software config…

Definitely would not have upgraded if i knew these things were going to happen.

erinday wrote

It appears my MAC(s) no longer directly connect via Finder to mycloud shares. I’ve tried to different macs with the same results. Just get ‘connection failed’

Yep. Same here.

Definitely would nto have upgraded if i knew these things were goign to happen

Ditto…

Not @#$@$# happy!

I upgrade to version 4 and all went well. However as noted by others the re-installation of transmission failed!

Sure its my fault, but seriously why doesn’t WD have this app installed by default… it is open source after all! 

Anyways, after rebooting the WD GUI UI wasn’t available! Not Great! 

So I followed the guide by  JoaquinAR (my thanks) and reverted to V3.4 and then

re-installed transmission app and stopped the WD scanning daemon because it consumes cpu constantly and writes heaps of hidden files. 

After another reboot my device went into a blinking blue light mode (basically fsck checking the DataVolumedrive partition), the web gui ui was available showing initialising… not a lot of info there, maybe WD should ads Checking/Validating Drive or more explanation other than initialising.

ssh was not available while the check was progressing which was a cause of concern.

So after about 10-15 minutes of tense waiting it finished its checking of 2 TB’s of data on a 4 TB drive, it finanlly went to a solid blue light (yay).

So basically I’m back to normal before the upgrade… this means I won’t be upgrading to your V4 firmware any time soon.

WD, do yourself a faviour at least provide the transmission app to WD Cloud, it was the reason I purchased the drive, because I was able to install transmission have it as a low powered nas/torrent device.

rubikcubic wrote:

Not @#$@$# happy!

I upgrade to version 4 and all went well. However as noted by others the re-installation of transmission failed!

Sure its my fault, but seriously why doesn’t WD have this app installed by default… it is open source after all! 

re-installed transmission app and stopped the WD scanning daemon because it consumes cpu constantly and writes heaps of hidden files. 

After another reboot my device went into a blinking blue light mode (basically fsck checking the DataVolumedrive partition), the web gui ui was available showing initialising… not a lot of info there, maybe WD should ads Checking/Validating Drive or more explanation other than initialising.

ssh was not available while the check was progressing which was a cause of concern.

So after about 10-15 minutes of tense waiting it finished its checking of 2 TB’s of data on a 4 TB drive, it finanlly went to a solid blue light (yay).

So basically I’m back to normal before the upgrade… this means I won’t be upgrading to your V4 firmware any time soon.

WD, do yourself a faviour at least provide the transmission app to WD Cloud, it was the reason I purchased the drive, because I was able to install transmission have it as a low powered nas/torrent device.

Glad I could help… If I may ask: which daemon did you stop?

rubikcubic wrote:

Not @#$@$# happy!

Which guide did you follow?

Did you modify ‘updateFirmwareFromFile.sh’ to downgrade firmware?