New, First Use of 4TB MCH (Limited Utility?)

8/Dec/2023 9:12
I installed MyCloud Home. Now not sure how I am going to use it. It seems to be only some sort of muli-media device to be tied to my Pixel smartphone. Out of the box the installation routine wanted to backup my phone photos. That seemed like an okay idea., but that’s not why I installed MCH. My Google account has a backup already. I had this idea that MCH would let me put all kinds of info from my home computer system on the MCH, and then that information would be accessible to me from virtually anywhere if I needed it. No, I don’t do work with my Pixel phone. I don’t watch videos or stream content. But, I do want to get information that I may have on my PC and have it available through the phone. Is this possible with the MCH?.

I was able to configure a local access directory (“Public”) and create sub-folders and transfer a couple of files to that folder. So I can see how information can be made available to other devices I have on the my local network But I cannot see how that information can be made available when I am remote. Another app maybe?

I just didn’t catch the truth in the review and info before I bought this thing. I thought the idea of sharing photos on your phone was just part of marketing hype, but surely, you could do other things with a device that has 4TB and costs that much.

My question is what else can I do with this box? Oh, and yes, What will it do for me if I plug in an external hard drive into the USB port on the back of the MCH? Can I use the HD? How about remotely?

If you are happy with Google Drive/Photo and you don’t mind having Google look through your data and photos and paying Google about $120 a year for 2 TB, then you should just stay with Google and forget about the MHC.

The first sentence and the last sentence seems to be contradictory, you will need to install the MCH Android app on your Pixel in order to access the MCH from almost anywhere your Pixel has access to the internet.

You will still have to backup what data you need on the PC to the MCH so that the data can be accessed by the MCH mobile app. The MCH Android app can access your MCH remotely, but not your PC.

The USB 3 port on the MCH is used exclusively to backup and restore data to the MCH. There is no remote access to the USB HDD through the MCH.

It seems like you should had been reading the manual a little more before you bought the MCH.

NoPlex. I get what you say. Actually, I bought this thing because there was a real good deal. So I, personally, am not out of a lot of money. But I still feel stung. This manual is hard to read for me…even after getting a unit plugged in and running. The manual just does not “click” when I haven’t even put my hands on it. And you know what? Manuals never say what their product will not do. I
also have two WD MyCloud. I guess you call them 1st gen. I have all my movies on one and I use it to watch them in the house on various TVs. Oh yeah, also a major backup location for important stuff via Goodsync. But…oh wait…I’ve read somewhere that getting info off of the MyCloud is painfully slow. Really? Probably take me days if I ever have to restore my data. Has anyone made good uses of these devices?