New firmware ruin the pic quality

After upgrade to the latest firmware (1.03.49V), the picture (photo) quality is terrible!!, it was good before. Anyone else saw this issue?

steven_yrye wrote:

After upgrade to the latest firmware (1.03.49V), the picture (photo) quality is terrible!!, it was good before. Anyone else saw this issue?

Hi Steve,

I have found exactly the same issue with both 1.03.49V and 1.04.10_V firmware on my WD TV Live.

When displaying photos, the black level being sent to the TV is much higher than it was in version 1.02.21. All of my pictures (any size or resolution) look slightly washed out and over exposed now. Downgrading to firmware version 1.02.21 fixes this issue completely.

In version 1.02.21, the WD normally presents a black screen in the split second before a picture is displayed for the first time. My TV (Samsung LN52B750) displayed a jet black screen during this brief time span. After the firmware upgrade the background is no longer jet black during this split second. The background is clearly visible as a dark grey instead of jet black.

I have sent WD support an email along describing this issue and a number of others with their new firmware versions. I haven’t had a response yet but I suspect there isn’t much we can do about it in the short term other than downgrade to 1.02.21.

Cheers

:frowning:

I’ve tried to view a pictures - resolution was awfully low…

[Firmware version 1.04.10_V]

i just went through some of my pictures. i dont see any problems at all…

whats the quality of your pictures? and how do you connect to the wd tv?

I think I see it, and then it’s gone.

If you take a picture that has subtle curves but with hard edges, you can tell that the WD isn’t showing them in “Full Resolution.”   It’s like they’re being downsampled a little bit, so you’ll see jagged lines with lots of aliasing.

The HUB also has this issue, but it’s FAR WORSE on that platform.

TonyPh12345 wrote:

I think I see it, and then it’s gone.

If you take a picture that has subtle curves but with hard edges, you can tell that the WD isn’t showing them in “Full Resolution.”   It’s like they’re being downsampled a little bit, so you’ll see jagged lines with lots of aliasing.

The HUB also has this issue, but it’s FAR WORSE on that platform.

i dont understand…but nvm…

btw ive set photo scaling = keep as original in settings

maybe those ppl that have issues shld post the problem images…

I’ve made a downgrade to ver.1.03.49 and then once more upgrade to the newest 1.04.10.

Now the pictures looks OK :slight_smile:

Did anybody with this problem try resetting to factory defaults and unplugging the unit for some minutes.

richUK wrote:

Did anybody with this problem try resetting to factory defaults and unplugging the unit for some minutes.

I did try a factory reset and even unplugged the power over night. The only fix was to downgrade to version 1.02.21.

I can’t say I noticed any picture resolution issues as some others have commented on as I was too distracted by the black level issue. Either way, my photos looked pretty lousy compared to the older firmware. Maybe we all have the same issue but are describing it in different ways?

From what people are saying here, it sounds like the symptoms of having the color space settings set incorrectly.

Navigate to Settings > Audio/Video > Video Output > HDMI > Auto (or your preferred setting) > Color space

Try setting “RGB Low” and see if this corrects the issue.

I normally use YCbCr as this is the correct setting for my Samsung LN52B750.

I actually upgraded then downgrading to 1.02.21 a couple times with factory resets just to make sure I wasn’t dreaming. Using identical WD display settings the results were always the same: Version 1.03.49_V and 1.04.10_V made my photos look washed out while downgrading to 1.02.21 fixed the issue.

I really like the new firmware features, but for now I have decided to stick with 1.02.21. There are simply too many annoying bugs compared to 1.02.21 (output defaults to 720p after power loss, menu background banding at 24Hz, photos looking washed out ). If they could fix these I’d be a happy camper.