New Firmware Release - WD TV Live Firmware Version 1.03.49_V (11/16/10)

Seriously? Wreckless? Why would WD care if or what MS sends out. Some major software vendor is sending out updates every day. Serious users do not run MS products.

I had no issues accepting the update and did not have to re-enter my network ID information this time.

EVERYTHING WORKS PERFECT BUT I FOUND ONLY ONE BUG RELATED TO AUDIO OUTPUT SETTING:

IN THIS NEW FIRMWARE THERE IS A NEW AUDIO OUTPUT SETTING CALLED "DIGITAL WITHOUT HDMI AUDIO", IF YOU CHOOSE THIS IT SUPPOSES THAT YOU SHOULDN'T HEAR ANY AUDIO FROM THE TV BUT ACTUALLY IT DOES SOUND.

ALSO IF YOU CHOOSE ONLY DIGITAL OR THIS NEW OPTION WDTV IS NOT PASSING THROUGH DIGITAL AUDIO OVER HDMI BUT ONLY THROUGH OPTICAL AUDIO OUTPUT, I KNOW THAT BECAUSE MY TV DOESN'T HAVE DOLBY OR DTS DECODER SO WHEN THIS IS INPUT OVER HDMI MY TV DISPLAYS A MESSAGE SAYING INCOMPATIBLE AUDIO INPUT, BUT WITH THIS NEW FIRMWARE THIS MESSAGE NO LONGER DISPLAYS.

I THINK THIS IS BAD FOR THOSE PEOPLE WITH A/V RECEIVERS WITH HDMI INPUT CAPABLE OF DECODING DIGITAL AUDIO OVER HDMI LIKE DOLBY DIGITAL AND DTS.

1 Like

Just updated to v1.03.49_V and it fails to connect to my network share.  Share is a CIFS share on a Linksys NSLU2 NAS device running v2.3R63 firmware.  Did the usual troubleshooting of the share and all is well from other network devices.  Rolled WDTV_live back to 1.02.21 and problem goes away.  Called WDC and they logged the problem.  Anyone else seeing connection to network shares as  problem with new firmware?

Gordo_, lots of good info in THIS thread wrg to restoring network shares. Did you have a chance to read any of them :dizzy_face:

BR

Only 720p, no more 1080p with this firmware. Via HDMI through an Onkyo TX SR 607 to a Panasonic Plasma TH-37PX80EA. It seems the HDMI-bug ISN’T SOLVED. As expected :frowning:

//edit: I was wrong. According to the panasonic’s resolution, 720p now is right. Thanks TonyPh12345

cybordelic wrote:

Only 720p, no more 1080p with this firmware. Via HDMI through an Onkyo TX SR 607 to a Panasonic Plasma TH-37PX80EA. It seems the HDMI-bug ISN’T SOLVED. As expected :frowning:

SERIOUSLY???   I don’t believe the TH-37PX80EA is 1080p, is it?

So, while it may ALLOW 1080p, it doesn’t DISPLAY it, so it’s probably advertising its NATIVE resolution, which is 720.

1 Like

TonyPh12345 wrote:

Till this firmware it shows 1080p at start.

//edit: but you are right. this panasonic is  only hd-ready

I see now usb/wireless keyboard is working very good (fast menu navigation, quick text writing) in this firmware.

There is only problem with special language characters… ALT+char  doesn’t work…

I think list in release notes isn’t complete.

What else is new/added functionality in this new firmware ?

Maybe Is there some option to mark watched tv shows?

With new firmware you can play mkv merge file, but playout of everything is twitchy.

Now playout looks like framerate missmatch, so i roll back on last firmware, and this is the

first reason to roll back .

Hi,

Installed this new firmware yesterday and was very excited after a finally new “hoped” stable firmware.

If I had to reset to factory to get my network share to work I also noticed a very pissing off bug (that’s not there in .21) that is; if I leave my WD off for like 24 hours (shut down previously with the remote), then next time I try to power on it’s not working with the remote !!! I have to go and unplug to power cord and replug. What’s wrong with the device? I just get this one back from RMA after 6 weeks of waiting to have such a result …

I’m really considering selling this toy player and get a real one like Dune can do …

cybordelic wrote:

TonyPh12345 wrote:

Till this firmware it shows 1080p at start.

//edit: but you are right. this panasonic is  only hd-ready

Right, but you were saying it’s STILL BROKEN.   I would say that now it is FIXED, because your TV is native 720p, and the WDTV is correctly setting itself to 720p, so it is NOT broken.  If it was 1080p before, it’s because it WAS broken then.

PhilLesh69 wrote:

The next video I watched just stopped about 6 minutes in.

This firmware is BUGGY as hell.

please make the previous firmware the next upgrade, because I don’t want to go out and buy a usb stick just to get a working device.  Or will Western Digital mail me one if I call your 800 #?? 

This firmware works very well for me.

Release notes mention:

----    Resolved playback issues related to mkvmerge. 

Which playback issue was that?  Issue with not playing audio from MKV files when compression is used?

Also, someone reported that DTS is not working.  Is this true?

Markus1 wrote:

I have a large Panasonic Plasma, and I don’t like to watch the movies with 10cm black screen over and under the movie itself (I mostly change the + 1.1).

This feature was also missing in all the betas, and this was the reason for me always to change back to the official firmware.

Hi Markus,

The old features (without the DVD menu functions) are furthermore available with the new firmware:

If you have your DVD structure in a folder called VIDEO_TS:

Just browse to this VIDEO_TS folder (but not into this folder!) and press the PLAY-button on your remote controle.

If you use a DVD iso (does not work if your iso is directly in the root folder):

Just browse to the folder, where you have stored your iso file (but not into this folder!) and press the PLAY-button on your remote control.

cu Mike

mediaflyqa wrote:

Hi - ok so I’m trying to upgrade my 2 wd tv live units -

1st one one got totally bricked by the firmware and is now in a state of perpetual reboot loop.

2nd one “accepts” the firmware update, reboots, and says (again and again) “new firmware found” even though I just downloaded the firmware 1.03.49 in the previous step. It’s telling me the current firmware version 1.03.20_Netflix and I am attempting to upgrade to 1.03.49_V

Any help would be most appreciated.

Thank you

I don’t know how you all missed this, but if your current version shows Netflix, then you’re using the wrong firmware to update your devices.  That’s why your bricking them.  You need to use WD TV Live Plus firmware on your devices.  Go to this landing page and download the correct file and do the update by USB.

http://www.wdc.com/wdproducts/updates/?family=wdfwdtv_liveplus

Gotcha thanks !!!

WOW, were’d that firmware even come from???  1.03.20 was never public.

Hi,

After updating the firmware, I don’t have any Digital audio either. Only 2 channels. 

Downgrade in progess …

Disappointing !!!

Shares on a windows machines do work but samba shares on a linux machine do NOT! I receive either No media in a folder or Cannot access no matter if I reset samba passwords or reset to factory settings. Cannot test more because my media is on a linux share. WD please fix the samba access issue.