New Firmware Release - WD TV Live Firmware Version 1.03.49_V (11/16/10)

" WD Bouncing Logo" screensaver does not activate anymore when a movie is Paused

In response to the users that commented on my first post, here are some additional comments. No, the previous update’s did not brick my WDTV Live, because I never update firmware without checking the general online consensus of the bugs and issues. I vouched for the WDTV Live as a great piece of hardware and recommended to two of my close friends to purchase the unit. They both got bricked by the earlier updates and had to wait months for replacement units.

I did not purchase the WDTV Live to join a fan club or be part of the support forum. I purchased the unit to make it easier for my spouse and family to access digital content on the TV. It was cheaper and far less complex than its HTPC counterpart.

This is a stand-alone unit we are talking about. We all own the same piece of hardware. How can WD developers not notice all of the aforementioned issues? Even the simple things like DVD Menus and the presence of photos when browsing network shares under “Video”.

I had no reason to post earlier than I did. The issues I experienced were mentioned by hundreds of users on forums across the internet.

I am not updating the WDTV Live from the 1.02.xx until I see some positive feedback on these new releases. I don’t understand how people can take WD’s side on this. If they cared at all about the product, updates would be comming out every month and issues would be getting resolved.

The WDTV Live is a great piece of hardware with awesome capibilities. Its too bad the software stinks.

I know this is a lot to ask, but, can we please please get a web browser on the WD TV LIVE? Any browser at all, with any kind of functioning. This will be killer! I noticed that the WD TV LIVE now accepts USB keyboards FYI

Problems I’ve noticed so far with this firmware:

• Under Audio/Video settings, I have had HDMI (1080p 60Hz) manually-specified under Video Output for some time now.  The unit defaults back to 720p after each power cycle.  Yes, my TV is 1080p-capable at this refresh rate.

• Also under Audio/Video settings, Audio Output is normally manually-set to ‘Digital without HDMI audio’.  This also resets itself back to ‘Stereo’ after each power cycle.

Note that all the above are still happening after multiple resets, and happen without fail every time power on the box is cycled.

There may also be an issue with correctly remembering the login to the share on the NAS that houses all of my video, but I’m still checking on that one.

Stone_Age wrote:

Why didn’t they fix the Windows 7 sharing issues in this fw? It’s been a long time b/w proper fw releases and there’s a lot of people using Windows 7 now. Don’t really feel like waiting another year for this to work. Anybody know of any better devices on the market?

I’m using Windows 7 and I don’t have a problem.

TonyPh12345 wrote:

Other media players have the exact same limitation with Win7…  Even the brand new BOXEE has the same problem.

I don’t have a problem on the Boxee Box either :wink:

Well aren’t you special! Did you have to modify the Win registry or do any of the other “hacks”? Also, are you running it wired or wireless to the WD?

My “Media servers” work fine, it’s just the “Network shares” that are no longer detected. Which are you using?

WDTV-User wrote:

Please rape no longer the German language.

Why now when you are raping the English langauge?

Stone_Age wrote:

Well aren’t you special! Did you have to modify the Win registry or do any of the other “hacks”? Also, are you running it wired or wireless to the WD?

My “Media servers” work fine, it’s just the “Network shares” that are no longer detected. Which are you using?

Assuming you are talking to me. No I have not touched the registry. Wired. Network shares.

Stone_Age wrote:

Did you have to modify the Win registry or do any of the other “hacks”?

Nope… just never installed the Sign-In Assistant, Live Essentials 2011, or any other Microsoft ■■■■ that I don’t want.  Network Shares still work like a charm, despite the known Samba bug.

In fact, as soon as I found out about the Samba problem, I double-checked that Windoze wasn’t going to install any updates on me without my permission, so that my NetShares would continue working until WD could incorporate a patched, newer Samba into the FW.

Hmmm maybe the problem has to do with me being wireless. I don’t think I’ve installed Live Essentials or Sign-in Assistant either, but I’ll double check.

updated mine yesterday, haven’t done much testing as yet but everything seemed to be working ok.  Had a bit of a problem with the “audio without HDMI” option but haven’t worked out why.  I wonder if all the rants are more to do with the failure to reconfigure computers and WDTV Live or correctly updating, before going on a rant.  I bought this cause I’ve had faith in WD and have many of their products, this one needs to work and I hope WD continue to make improvements and not destroy their reputation with me and likely thousands of others.

Keep the good work up, enjoying the product and hope to see futher improvements (soon).

TonyPh12345 wrote:

WDTV-User wrote:

Sure. …and the German customers are idiots. 

Look.   You called them LIARS (which is a very strong insult) and you are simply WRONG.  They didn’t say they fixed every translation issue, so there is no lie.  

Let’s agre on this: The German translation is ridiculous. I am happy to fix it for WD, they only have to send the word list/xml fies.

whattheheck wrote:

WDTV-User wrote:

Please rape no longer the German language.

Why now when you are raping the English langauge?

Oh, come on, he s trying. But WD translates “bit” with the German word “little bite” (as in biting off a piece of bread). How stupid can you get?

I have a problem with this update. the videos have become so smooth that movies look like tv series. something like a 120hz xmoothing effect. is there any way to turn this off?

its making me go crazy. i hate this effect.

I’ve downgraded to the 1.02.21 now I have my shared folders back. My Samba version is 3.0.24.

WD, pls communicate a statement or a workaround for this problem. And NO I don’t want to upgrade my samba server

New update made my machine unstable. 1.02.21 worked great, now how do i roll back???

Darwincox wrote:

New update made my machine unstable. 1.02.21 worked great, now how do i roll back???

read this topic from the beginning. There is a link to the downgrade package on 3d or 4th page