New Firmware Release - Firmware Version 1.04.10_V for WD TV Live (11/22/10)

egnilk66 wrote:

skinsman & baconcow,

I’m guessing you’re ripping a disc, demuxing out the tracks (video, audio, subtitles, etc),  transcoding the audio to mp4, then muxing the audio that’s in the mp4 container back with the other tracks such that the audio ends up being AAC.

If that’s right, I’m wondering why you’re transcoding the audio … is it to make the mkv playable on some other media device? Are you in the Apple world? Just curious.

It’s crazy how much work people go to for a couple [Edited] of possibly adult films.      

Of course, I’m kidding…  Just playing light on the things we boys do with our toys.

lol, I’m sure if I were talking about adult films, I wouldn’t be worried about 5.1 audio.

baconcow wrote:

egnilk66 wrote:

skinsman & baconcow,

I’m guessing you’re ripping a disc, demuxing out the tracks (video, audio, subtitles, etc),  transcoding the audio to mp4, then muxing the audio that’s in the mp4 container back with the other tracks such that the audio ends up being AAC.

If that’s right, I’m wondering why you’re transcoding the audio … is it to make the mkv playable on some other media device? Are you in the Apple world? Just curious.

It’s crazy how much work people go to for a couple [Edited] of possibly adult films.      

Of course, I’m kidding…  Just playing light on the things we boys do with our toys.

lol, I’m sure if I were talking about adult films, I wouldn’t be worried about 5.1 audio.

:wink:  Ya never know…some people really like the sound to sound real.    ;))

i have updated to the latest fireware!

Hi!

WiFi is droping all the time when i’m trying to copy files from my PC to my Seagate USB drive via the WiFi…

Is it the firmware or must i do something special when setting it up?

CONFIRMED!!!

new version 1.04.10 will cause network problems.  Test Video would sutter (a video with lots of sound and quick graphic) over network…but would work fine under usb external hard drive.

Changing back to previous versions…video works fine.

Well…like using my network so I have to give up the other goodies…

Rename ver in the download file to 1.04.2…it updated very quicky to old version…now I can watch my videos…yeah.

I am very disappointed this new firmware was not tested very well…I have a very simple and clean network at home…

I am thirsty to looking for UTF 8 unicode subtitle feature in next firmware,  The box come perfectly if the feature would be added. Please kindly to pay your attention to our Vietnamese user. Thank and regards,

I seem to be having problems with Pandora.  It seems to be random, but sometimes it will just keep fwding through tracks…  They won’t even start to play…just keep forwarding…next, next, next, next.   I figured that Pandora would stop at it’s six forwards per hour limit and then it would just play, but nope.  It just kept on skipping.   Anyone else have this issue?

I still have problems to play some of my DVD iso (made with MacOS Disk Utility and that play perfectly with VLC) :

Some of my ISO don’t play at all.

Some of my ISO diplay a menu picture and I can hear some “squeechh” and “burrp” (audio decoding errors).

Do you prefer the WD brains focus their efforts to bring you :

A :  a perfect DVD Iso support with menu,

B : Web 2.0 features (facebook, twitter, …) ?

My choice is definitely A !

Please fix the DVD iso problems in the next firmware release and I will continue to buy WD products.

WD TV Live + MyBook 1TB = DVDs in the cellar

2 updates in one month … but the next udating file … will come after 2 years …

I received a WD Live+ for Christmas, hooked it up to the TV with HDMI, setup my Airlink adapater and it was streaming 1080p videos perfectly along with my iso collection. The first few days were great, and then I saw there was an update, and now it’s just a useless box. I should have looked things up before I went and updated. Sure I get Pandora and AccuWeather, but I can do without that.

None of my AVIs, MKVs, or ISOs work. They all stutter after the first 30 seconds. Nothing has changed other then the firmware update.

I have rolled back to 1.03.29 which was what it came with, also did the factory default. But the issue is still there, it’s like the upgrade was meant to break streaming. Anyone know how I can fix this and make it like it used to be when I first took it out the box? If not I’m gonna try to exchange this for a new one and never upgrade again.

I have a problem that started with the latest update.  Many people were complaining about AAC in MP4 files.  I wasn’t having problems until the latest release.

Background…

I have a PS3, and it will not play MKV files.  This is a “Sony is a sh1thead big company that expects you to use the codecs they tell you to” problem.  It also, for some unknown reason, will not play MP4 files that have AC3 or DTS in them.  Similar problem source as the MKV file problem.  So over the last two years have been converting all MKVs that I download into MP4s with AVC and AAC streams.

Until the latest revision of the firmware, my WD TV Live has played them just fine.

Now, however, most of the files will not play correctly any longer.  It’s not that the audio looses synch with the video.  That only happens in rare cases, and I usually find that the source MKV had the same problem - so I downloaded a better MKV.  The problem is that the AAC audio now will not play whatsoever.  I get picture, but no audio.  If I go back to the source MKV file and play it, it works fine.

Now, I could just play the source MKVs, but once my PS3 gets fixed, it won’t be able to play any of the files - I have to convert them to MP4 with AAC, or I can forget about using the PS3 at all.  (Which might be a good choice anyway, as the thing doesn’t handle subtitle tracks effectively either.  The PS3 is a useless media player, but an amazing blu-ray player and gaming platform).

Really, what I want is for WD to get off their [deleted] and fix these ongoing decoder problems that they are either too apathetic or too incompetent to fix.  I am tired of hearing their lame excuses.  If they can’t figure it out, hire some of the developers that work on the open-source ffmpeg project for crying out loud.  THEY have the virtue of at least knowing what they are doing.

icman wrote:

I have a problem that started with the latest update.  Many people were complaining about AAC in MP4 files.  I wasn’t having problems until the latest release.

Background…

I have a PS3, and it will not play MKV files.  This is a “Sony is a sh1thead big company that expects you to use the codecs they tell you to” problem.  It also, for some unknown reason, will not play MP4 files that have AC3 or DTS in them.  Similar problem source as the MKV file problem.  So over the last two years have been converting all MKVs that I download into MP4s with AVC and AAC streams.

Until the latest revision of the firmware, my WD TV Live has played them just fine.

Now, however, most of the files will not play correctly any longer.  It’s not that the audio looses synch with the video.  That only happens in rare cases, and I usually find that the source MKV had the same problem - so I downloaded a better MKV.  The problem is that the AAC audio now will not play whatsoever.  I get picture, but no audio.  If I go back to the source MKV file and play it, it works fine.

Now, I could just play the source MKVs, but once my PS3 gets fixed, it won’t be able to play any of the files - I have to convert them to MP4 with AAC, or I can forget about using the PS3 at all.  (Which might be a good choice anyway, as the thing doesn’t handle subtitle tracks effectively either.  The PS3 is a useless media player, but an amazing blu-ray player and gaming platform).

Really, what I want is for WD to get off their lazy asses and fix these ongoing decoder problems that they are either too apathetic or too incompetent to fix.  I am tired of hearing their lame excuses.  If they can’t figure it out, hire some of the developers that work on the open-source ffmpeg project for crying out loud.  THEY have the virtue of at least knowing what they are doing.

Download PS3MediaServer, it will transcode the MKV on the fly. It’s what I was have been using. I already had a PS3 so I didn’t want to buy another one, and wanted to stream my videos to another TV. Right now with my broken WD cuz of the firmware update it looks like I will have to buy another PS3 instead because I know for sure that works.

Me to, all my riped DVD’s are like that, please help us.

Been adviced to pudate my network with a Gigabit switch hope it helps

the suggetion is based on the reaction of the movies, it is as the synk between pictur and sound are not there.

cane you redown load updats or get the old one ?

First, the cons I need to write.
I do not know why I had to put the folder in front of small images in the folder?
Ugly and disturbing its price would be better if the old would be on or off!
The click-to-screen keyboard with some of the black square becomes defective, why?
And still no sleep timer (menu) and if the music in stereo volume control should be. The clock would not be negligible!
The images, videos do not make it to enlarge! OPTION menu is not especially beautiful or form!
The automatic setting signal disturbing video!
I think these would be solved.

Benefits
Nicely resolved location of media on the Internet!
More and more video is running properly and beautifully.
Visualization of the icons is nicer.
Thank you for the great new features!
Wishes
Playlist editor would be a very good background and be replaced!

I had issues with previous beta FW (beta FW 1.03.35 and 1.03.38) with 1080 24p not working. These issues have been solved after installing new FW 1.04.10. Now 1080p24 works fine. However, when I turn the player completely off (i.e. unplug from the wall outlet), after turning it back on, the resolution switches back to 720p50 and I need to go to settings and change it. It seems like the player does not remember the resolution settings after it’s switched off. Not a big deal, but somewhat unpleasant. The TV I’m using is Samsung LE-40B653.

I really appreciate your work in delivering a better and constantly improving product. I hope the issues will be resolved in the future firmware releases.

1 Like

The new firmware breaks mkv files when watching them over network sharing. The files stutters heavily. 

The solution is to rooback to 1.03.49 firmware:

http://wdc.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/wdc.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=5800

1 Like