New Firmware Release - Firmware Version 1.04.10_V for WD TV Live (11/22/10)

I’m amazed that WD even run a site for users when it is just filled with [deleted], complaining, etc. Very little on topic helpful posts. Thank god my unit does everything I need it to as getting support here would be very discouraging.

Just to say I did the firmware upgrade 2 times without a hitch (went back to b-rad’s but returned as I like the .iso support). I only wish this firmware supported usb cd drives, however, for now I run DVD’s off a networked DVD drive from my desktop in another room.

So here’s a comment from someone who’s… HAPPY!   :smileyvery-happy:

I installed the 1.04 firmware yesterday and I had problems  with the pause of video. Upon pressing the play button the status bar did not  disappear. I had to press the fast forward button to have it disappear. I called tech support and he had me reboot and then click on restore to factory defaults which appeared to fix the problem. But then I found that the fast forward button or rewind did not work correctly either.

When you press fast forward for example, and then press play you wind way ahead of where wanted to be. If you do it again, I found that it puts you into a totally different part of the file. Sometimes it even boots you out of the video.

This needs to be fixed. I am interested to hear if others have had this problem.

I just did this update and now I cannot watch .vob files. It is like someone else said, it becomes a powerpoint presentation. How disappointing. When will this be fixed and how can I go back to the last firmware version. Thing is, this firmware was released over two weeks ago. They must know that it is totally messed up, why not another update?

Xtreme wrote:

You should learn some programming to see how difficult it can be. Computers don’t make mistakes, humans do.

I don’t like people trying to find someone(s) to blame for these issues.

More constructive would be a specific information:

• what were you doing when the issue happened? specify
  • did you tried to reset the settings? if not, try and report after that
  • can you repeat the issue after a full reset (hardware + software)? yes/no
  • what brand+model are your devices (like tv,network devices,etc.)
  • if network problems, is it wired or wireless? not network related/specify

First: Why!?

Why shold I, the customer, do the testing for WD? Why shoud I, the customer, spend hours and hours to do the testing and write reports of that?

I used to be a programmer. Nowadays I am the owner of software company, so I dont write code so much than I used to do, but I would never accept such a byggy piece of software to be sent out of my small company. Never.

avicom wrote:

Why shold I, the customer, do the testing for WD? Why shoud I, the customer, spend hours and hours to do the testing and write reports of that?

You don’t _ have _ to.

But since WD can’t possibly test every TV and AVR ever made, and to some extent have to just stick to HDMI specifications, if it works with some products and not others, knowing _ what _ it doesn’t work with would be the first step to figuring out _ WHY _ it won’t work with those products.

WD can’t really fix it for you if they can’t figure out _ why _ it isn’t working for you.

But, if helping them to get it working is too much to ask, that’s ok… just don’t expect a speedy fix… or any fix.

It is quite right that WD can’t test every possible setup and that accurate reporting of problems specifying what equipment is involved will help WD (and we, the users) develop better firmware. No argument here.

But DO keep in mind that there are other units out there … subject to the same development environments that perform better than WD.

And if the trivial problem I reported with the previous beta and which is still in this beta (the reversed retry/cancel buttons in the network restarting panel) are any indication of how well WD does their own debugging, it doesn’t give me much faith in seeing a nearly bug free ‘final’ release.

“The Grass is Always Greener.”

Go read other boxes’ forums.  They have their own specialty bugs.  ;)

avicom wrote:

I used to be a programmer. Nowadays I am the owner of software company, so I dont write code so much than I used to do, but I would never accept such a byggy piece of software to be sent out of my small company. Never.

For your question. No, you don’t have to do anything. If the device isn’t working you can return it and then move along.

I get the feeling that you blame WD making a buggy software and use us for their lab rats. If so, you haven’t seen the rest.

I came to this forum because I had problems with my device and returning it wasn’t the thing I wanted. I like the product, so I registered and tried to find a solution.

I think at least a few percent of us feels the same and only came here because they like the product and didn’t want to return it and to use a different device/brand.

Of course among others we have here the beginners, whiners, tech gurus, avarage Janes and  Joes, and the small groups of ppl who are trying to make the forum as a combat field (the dark side of the human mind is trying to take off, I believe).

1 Like

Well said.

You are not only a troll, but apparently a thief as well.

Can’t wait to see you whine and cry in the Garmin forums, too…  It  won’t be too long…   I’ve been using Garmin GPSs since the GPS III, and they all have bugs, too…

Garmin even bricked a bunch of units early last year…  So, good luck with that, and don’t let the door smack you in the arse on your way out.

RoofingGuy wrote:

avicom wrote:

You don’t _ have _ to.

But since WD can’t possibly test every TV and AVR ever made, and to some extent have to just stick to HDMI specifications, if it works with some products and not others, knowing _ what _ it doesn’t work with would be the first step to figuring out _ WHY _ it won’t work with those products.

WD can’t really fix it for you if they can’t figure out _ why _ it isn’t working for you.

But, if helping them to get it working is too much to ask, that’s ok… just don’t expect a speedy fix… or any fix.

Is there ONE person that can successfully stream DVD’s (VOBs in VIDEO_TS folder) over NETWORK SHARES from windows XP computer with 1.04.10 firmware?

If there is, please share the details of your setting.

1.04.10 is garbage when it comes to my network shares while 1.02.21 is working ALMOST perfectly.  Is there an address I can tell my router to block that’ll stop telling me that new firmware is available?

Yes, support.wdc.com.

mrkeeling wrote:

Is there ONE person that can successfully stream DVD’s (VOBs in VIDEO_TS folder) over NETWORK SHARES from windows XP computer with 1.04.10 firmware?

If there is, please share the details of your setting.

I don’t know if anyone can get it to work with XP, since nobody describes their setup when reporting “does work/doesn’t work”, but any VOB-in-VideoTS that I’ve tried to play from Win7 Net Shares have not had the massive issues that are afflicting so many.

That fact in and of itself is probably useful to WD.

It doesn’t matter which program I’ve used to backup the DVD, and whether it’s a PAL or NTSC disc… Win7 (for me) does not show the same issues.

I can’t try on XP because I’ve never owned XP… my older PCs are Win2k (they were below spec for XP and thus wouldn’t run it), and my new PC came with Vista and I swapped it for Win7.

There _ shouldn’t _ be a difference in the way XP sends data compared to how Win7 sends data, but then there also _ shouldn’t _ be a difference whether the same data stream is coming out of a .iso container or out of a .vob container.

It doesn’t matter what else my PC is doing at the time, and what else the network is doing at the time, and it doesn’t matter whether the VIDEO_TS folder is on an internal drive on the PC, or whether the PC is reading it off an external USB drive.

So…

Win7 PC, 32-bit (with local storage, internal or external) wired to WRT54GL router on a static IP (no DHCP).

WDTV Live, 1.04.10, wired to WRT54GL router on a static IP (no DHCP).

VOBs play properly from Net Shares, including menus.

Password-protected sharing IS enabled on the Win7 box, and these files are being shared with the user “WDTV”, with the WDTV successfully logging in with the user “WDTV” and the correct password – Auto-Login is enabled on the WDTV and the credentials are saved.

Thanks for the detailed answer.

Here is some more facts that somebody might find useful:

While I was on 1.04.10 MKVs seem to be working fine (even the high bitrate ones), but unfortunately I didn’t test it extensively as I couldn’t make VOBs work. So I reverted back to 1.03.49 and VOBs (VIDEO_TS) work no problem, but it looks like network throughput IS slower than it was on 1.02.21 as my highest bitrate MKV’s do stutter on some scenes (always on the same ones and they didn’t on 1.02.21).

So I went further back to one of the betas (I think 1.03.40 but I’m not home now to check) and the network throughput is definitely better, but it is still not on the 1.02.21 level.

I have no HDMI so none of the issues there. WDTV is connected via component to my plasma and optical to my AVR. All my content is on the Win XP media centre computer (which does nothing but serves media) on a static IP and WDTV is on static IP and the network is wired. Nothing has changed on my network since the day I plugged in WDTV. The only thing changing is the firmware.

WD Team / bill_s,

I think its obvious by now that the community has no confidence in this latest firmware and we have gone to extreme measures to report bugs to assist you in their resolution. 

It’s been + 2 weeks now and I think some sort of response is warranted from your team if you wish to savage consumer loyalty to your brand.

rob187 wrote:> Returned mine today after I smashed it in 5 pieces.

As much as I may dislike WD’s approach to this device and their customers, I find it highly amusing to know that a piece of consumer electronics could cause a (presumably) grown man to fly into a tantrum that made him break his toy.

bamboo510 wrote:

1.04.10 is garbage when it comes to my network shares while 1.02.21 is working ALMOST perfectly.  Is there an address I can tell my router to block that’ll stop telling me that new firmware is available?

Yeap, you can check page 39, I already posted the IPs

Regards!

casm23 wrote:

rob187 wrote:> Returned mine today after I smashed it in 5 pieces.

As much as I may dislike WD’s approach to this device and their customers, I find it highly amusing to know that a piece of consumer electronics could cause a (presumably) grown man to fly into a tantrum that made him break his toy.

:wink: