New firmware DTS HD-MA issue

IT IS 6.1, possibly it’s a combination of 6.1 in MKV but it IS 6.1.  Both MakeMKV AND MediaInfo can tell the difference between DTS-MA and DTS-HRA.  I’ve only encounted one HRA disc so far, which I converted to FLAC and another disc had that low-bitrate HD DTS audio, which I discarded.  I’ll try moving blade to a mpeg2 transport stream file and see if it does the same thing.

OK, Blade works fine from an m2ts containter.  So 6.1 + MKV is a no-go!

I just noticed something.  When I press play the WDTV Live shows the MKV as DTS-HRA, but it aint.  I’m gonna rip Blade Trinity again and look at that, then hunt down the DTS-HRA disc I know is somewhere (don’t know what movie it was…)

Fact 1:  OP has a problem with DTS-MA not working on some files and comes to this forum to ask for answers.  He lists the media info stats of two files: one that is working (7.1) and one that isn’t (6.1)

Fact 2:  I’ve ripped Blade 2 into an MKV and the Audio won’t play, just like the OPs bad files.  The Audio is 6.1 DTS-MA (As verified by both MakeMKV, and MediaInfo).  When a play attempt is made the stats on the WDTV Live show the Audio as being DTS-HRA.  However, when that same file is remuxed into an M2TS file it plays fine and the audio is correctly identified as DTS-MA

Fact 3:  Blade Trinity has the same audio configuration and has exactly the same problem.

Fact 4:  The Tenth Doctor Specials Blu Rays have DTS-HRA audio.  MakeMKV lists the tracks as HRA and MediaInfo lists the tracks as HRA.  If I attempt to play the files on the WDTV Live DTS-HRA is displayed and no audio goes through.

Append:  If converted to 6.1 FLAC in an MKV neither Blade nor Blade Trinity will play AT ALL.  Of all the discs I have they’re the only ones with 6.1 audio and they’re the only ones that show this problem.

Conclusion:  ??

1 Like

Thank you all for your support!

@ndjamena (Is it possible the WDTV has problems with 6.1 audio?)

DTS-ES 6.1 plays fine on my WDTV and it’s properly recognized by my receiver so maybe it is just DTS HD-MA 6.1?

Will try to put streams into M2TS and see if that works.

@TonyPh12345 (If you’re willing to upload me the 20-30mb “cut” of that file)

Thanks. I’m at work right now but will do this evening (after I check with M2TS as mentioned above).

///

And there is one more interesting thing.

I’ve got one mkv file contains audio stream of DTS-ES 6.1. It plays fine on WDTV and my receiver recognize it properly, byt WDTV is also marking it as DTS HRA.

6.1 DTS-MA in MKV doesn’t work over Network Share or USB.  Well, my theory goes like this, and I may be completely wrong.  Whatever code the WD is using to demux MKV doesn’t recognise 6.1 as valid input.  If I try to play a 6.1 FLAC it looks at the FLAC, sees 6.1, doesn’t recognise it and rejects it.  Feed it a 6.1 DTS-MA and it sees a DTS Track, then it needs to look at the stream to determine if it’s MA or HRA.  It looks for MA but when it finds 6.1 it rejects it and defaults to HRA.  It’s Possible DTS-ES is close enough to HRA that it doesn’t matter.  Guesswork, but that’s what debugging is about.  (Unless you meant you have lots ot 6.1 DTS-ES files and only one shows the problem).

1 Like

I didn’t say 6.1 DTS-ES shows problem.

I have 3 such mkv file and all plays well, only WDTV marks it as DTS HRA but my AVR receives it correctly as DTS-ES 6.1.

It looks like, as you said, the only problem is with 6.1 DTS HD-MA.

Later today I’ll demux tracks off the mkv and mux it with M2TS to see if the audio track will be recognized correctly and actually play.

Or it could just assume anything 6.1 is DTS-ES and someone didn’t realise ES and HRA were different codecs…  They’ll figure it out eventually.

(Showing HRA is the problem, and it’s indicative)

Agree it’s a indicative problem with SMP firmware, although it properly pass through the signal to the receiver, which I obviously can not say about DTS HD-MA 6.1.

New Infomation:  I’m re-encoding Blade Trinity at the moment, 6.1 DTS-MA yet EAC3TO is reporting that it has a DTS-ES Core.  Can I ask what you ripped yours with?

I belive it’s fine as DTS-ES has two variants 6.1 (Discrete) and 5.1 (Matrix) and all DTS HD formats consist of DTS core + second stream of additional information.

Could you please expand your question as I’m not sure what to answer. Thanks.

/quote/ Can I ask what you ripped yours with? /unquote/

Just making sure MakeMKV isn’t setting bad flags.  MediaInfo doesn’t list the ES part, otherwise it would be 5.1,6.1,6.1 rather than 5.1,6.1.  I’m looking for causes, WD has to fix this and they need all the info we can provide (although they probalby have enough already).  If MakeMKV is causing problems (which I doubt) Mike needs to know too.  Maybe the SMP is just finding the ES and not looking for MA, I’m ripping a 7.1 DVD at the moment so I’ll see if that has an ES core as well.

OK.

I used handbrake.

According to Eac3to, Hellboy 2: DTS-MA 7.1 Does NOT have a DTS-ES core.  Having a DTS-ES core is another possible cause.

(Handbrake won’t rip from a Blu Ray directly…)

Of course I used makemkv for initial rip. Then re-encoded in handbrake.

Will check what core has mine when at home.

Finally @ home.

OK. I checked my problematic audio stream with eac3to and guess what - core DTS-ES 6.1.

Then I demuxed both tracks out of mkv and muxed it as m2ts - works perfect! WDTV marked it as DTS HDMA and passed through to my AVR without any trouble.

Thus it doesn’t fix the problem which obviously lies in firmware, it provides some kind of easy to achieve solution.

Many thanks for pointing it out.

I just Re-Ripped Blade into an MKV with DVDFab and it shows the same problem.  If there’s something wrong with the MKV Muxers then it’s epidemic and therefore should be supported.  More than likely it’s entirely the WDTV SMP at fault.  Unless I can find a 7.1 DTS-MA with a DTS-ES core that’s as far as I can take this.

I am guessing the SMP needs the file to be in an M2TS container for DTS-MA HD to work, nothing else such as MKV. This is the way it is for Dolby TrueHD. it has to be in an M2TS file for it to work.

You scared the **bleep** out of me then, I’ve spent the last day or so reripping my blu rays and muxing the original Lossless audio back into the MKVs to avoid the 24 bit FLAC issue.  Some of them were TrueHD so I had to quickly hunt down a TrueHD movie and play it on the SMP.  Thankfully my receiver gets the audio bitstream just fine.  Are you talking about bit-streaming or decoding the TrueHD in the actual SMP?  Is there some TrueHD speaker configuration I should know about?  You are aware that this thread is about bit-streaming 6.1 DTS-MA with a DTS-ES core to a receiver?

SLPopp wrote:

I am guessing the SMP needs the file to be in an M2TS container for DTS-MA HD to work, nothing else such as MKV. This is the way it is for Dolby TrueHD. it has to be in an M2TS file for it to work.

this is really old outdated info

generally with all the WD updated M2ts has had better support than MKV

with each successive firmware, they fix something MKV related

just 2 quick examples

blu-ray pgs subtitles, they added support in prior gen device, but m2ts only

then additional firmware updates required to enable them in MKV as well

now we’re seeing DTS-MA support

m2ts seems to work with all streams, at least anything I’ve tried

but 6.1 (based on above) is not working in MKV