Networking WD TV HD Media Player (WDBABF0000NBK-NESN)

Hi,

I am new to this and I need help to setup my WD TV Media player (Model#WDBABF0000NBK-NESN).

Currently, I have 300 gb hard disk connected to my airport extreme and shared in my ther laptop (Macboo, Vista and XP) So whenever If I have to watch something I have to disonnect my hard drive from extreme everytime and connect to WD TV. This is quite PIA. And I don’t want to do if possible.  I like to connect my WD TV (not Live TV) to network so I can have direct access to external hard drive or my other computer’s media and I can watch without distrubing my hard drive set up. I taught  If I buy 802.11n adapter card and plug into USB of WD Tv and connect to my wirelsess net work. Is it possible?  The reason I am asking is I don’t want to buy 802.1 n adapter card if this won’t work. I think I don’t need NAS adapter because I already have extreme to share my hard drive.

Any helpful suggestion will highly appreciated…

Thanks!

You can do that supposedly with b-rad firmware, but not with stock WDTV HD firmware.

I purchased a WD Smartware external hard drive about 6 months ago.  At that time, I saved many of the files that were on my old laptop onto this new hard drive.  I have since purchased a new laptop and no longer have my old laptop.  However, when I connect the external hard drive to m new laptop with the purpose of retrieveing those old files, nothing show up.   Is there something I should be doing that I’m not.

Thanks 

Thanks!! That’s great. What type of version should I install? I get confused Is it WDLXTV Live-0.4.2.2?? So Once install I can able to access media from the shared drive (which is connected to airport extreme).

The WDBABF0000NBK-NESN is a WDTV HD Gen2.

The B-Rad firmware for the WDTV Live won’t work with it (the “Live” in the filename tells you it’s for the Live).

WDLXTV-0.5.8.1 would be the most recent B-rad for a WDTV Gen1, I think.

WDLXTV-G2-0.4.3.2 would be the most recent B-rad for a WDTV Gen2, I think – any of the “G2” versions are the ones you’re looking for for your Gen2.

I do believe, however, that networking on the Gen1 and Gen2 is more of a beta feature than much else – I think finding an adaptor that will work with it is even more troublesome than finding ones that will work with the Live/Live Plus and stock firmware.  I’ve never tried on my Gen1, but it seems as if the choice of compatable adaptors is very limited.

I will download today and see. 

As you said “Adapter” Not sure it will work with my Gen2 TV. I verified from this website and found few adapter but all of them saying working with “Live TV” not with “WD TV”. I also ordered one from their list and see if it is compitable with or not.   BUT I have one usb “n” adapter with driver cd and currently using with my Macbook and other laptops. And not sure how to install driver into WD TV???

Thanks for reply.!!