Networking connection with WD TV Live plus

Okay, before I get into the problem I’m having allow me to explain that I am a computer geek. Not a networking Guru. I know just enough networking tech to bring my network crashing to it’s knees. So, with that being said here is my set up:

ISP: Verizon Fios

Router: Netgear N600

-Port 1: Hard line to my main system

-Port 2: Hard line to my fathers system

-Port 3: Hard line to a Dynex 4-port switch (One floor up)

+Port 1: Hard line to my mothers computer

+Port 2: Hard line to the Blu-ray player

-Port 4: Hard line to a Dynex 4-port switch

+Port 1: Hard line to a Dell Pentium 4 which is serving as a Print server

+Port 2: Hard line to a PogoPlug Cloud server device.

+Port 3: Hard line to a Netgear Power line adapter which connects to my WD TV Live Plus Media player.

USB Connection: 2tb My Book

I have the TV Live set with a static IP address of 192.168.2.36.

It fails to connect to internet based media or the My Book which is viewable on all the other systems and the router set up pages.

I do a connection check:

IP address: Fine

DNS: Incorrect DNS Server Address

I am uncertain as to what it is telling me, and thus I do not know what to look for in order to resolve it. Any direction in resolving this would be greatly appreciated.

It is telling you any one of the following (all possible when trying to set up IP addresses manually)-

1. IP address is in use by another device (though you would expect the other device to fail as well)

2. Subnet mask incorrect, you need 255.255.255.0

3. Gateway address incorrect, for an IP address of 192.168.2.36 you would expect 192.168.2.x as the gateway, usually 192.168.2.1

4. DNS server addresses are incorrect

etc., etc. etc…

Word of advise- Just let your router assign the IP adresses, DNS Servers and Gateway through DHCP for all your devices. If you want devices to have specific IP addresses then use MAC reservation, IP reservation (or whatever it is called on router) to make sure all devices get the same IP address each time.

Final word- don’t try and mix subnets unless your really know what you are doing. I.E. all devices must be in your 192.168.2.x subnet.

I have attempted to let the router automatically assign everything. the WD TV does not connect to the router. I get a message stating that it is unable to obtain an IP address.

I have checked and verified each IP address on the network. 102.168.2.36 is not in use by another device.

Gateway is set to 192.168.2.1.

check connection: DNS is incorrect.

what should DNS be set to?

as an extra tidbit of info, I don’t honestly know if this helps or means anything, but here it goes. I pulled up the command prompt on my system and attempted to ping the IP address of the TV Live plus. Here are the results:

Reply from 192.168.2.2: Destination host unreachable.

Ping statistics for 192.168.2.36:

Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss).

I’m thinking you have a physical connection issue.

“Destination Host Unreachable” generally means that the WDTV didn’t even respond to the ARP broadcast sent by your PC.

ARP is about the simplest protocol in the world; if that’s not working, the problem is usually a physical connection problem.

so translation my power-line adapter isn’t working, huh?

Okay, well time to grad a 250foot cable from work and try that. Just plug it right into the switch.

That would certainly rule it in or out…