Network Sync Interruption/ Wireless stream lag

Im running windows 8  pro 64 bit   x79a 3820 Intel quadcore i7 3.6 GHz  16gb ddr3 with the WDTV Livehub over a 150Mb wireless n network. At first I successfully synced my box with my PC and it started syncing at about 2 megs/sec. However whenever I start doing things online or anything that seems to use bandwidth the sync stops. That’s not the problem. THE PROBLEM IS that it does not restart the sync. ive reset both my PC and my live hub. ive reset the sync folder settings on the hub side and still no joy. The only thing that has gotten it to sync again is if I delete the sync folder and all the data, which is stupid because I end up backtracking and losing about 7 gigs of already transferred data.

Additionally, id like to simply stream my videos from my comp of the network onto my livehub so I don’t have to wait 2 hours to have my file on my hub. The file is 1080p at about 11megs/sec…Choppy as **bleep**. As ive already said, it is a completely wireless n network capable of 150 Mb data transfer. Whats the deal with the bandwidth here? Ive already changed the channel in my router- no joy. so to summarize, (1) network sync interruption-wont restart (2) when I try to stream 1080p from PC to hub frames are choppy/laggy as **bleep**. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Ian

There are others here who know all the exact information regarding the issues you have, well most of them.

The easy fix for the streaming is go wired, those of us that are, can stream full bluray .m2ts files no issues.

Wireless just does not cut it when streaming 1080p movies, you say 11mb, but I am guessing the bandwidth required is more than that.

As far as syncing goes, not sure never use it, but what it might be a case of is the chipset inside the Hub is pretty basic, and if you are transferring files, and trying to do other things, then it will flake out. Best thing you can do is drag and drop and leave the network/box as this is happening.

But it may also improve if you go wired, unsure.

150 megabit N is an absolute maximum that can only be achieved in “laboratory conditions.”

No way in the world the average user will get that kind of bandwidth at home.

wiggle_these wrote:

Additionally, id like to simply stream my videos from my comp of the network onto my livehub so I don’t have to wait 2 hours to have my file on my hub. The file is 1080p at about 11megs/sec…Choppy as **bleep**. As ive already said, it is a completely wireless n network capable of 150 Mb data transfer. Whats the deal with the bandwidth here? Ive already changed the channel in my router- no joy. so to summarize, (1) network sync interruption-wont restart (2) when I try to stream 1080p from PC to hub frames are choppy/laggy as **bleep**. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Ian

yeah your network is the problem

average blu-ray is 25 mbps, and I’ve got some as large as 45 mbps

so your 11 mbps doesn’t cut it

it is possible to stream blu-ray wirelessly, but you’ll need to improve your network

switching to nfs is usually the cheapest fix for increasing streaming bandwidth

as in can be done from windows with freeware like freenfs or hanewin

you can also check things like flow control, turn it off

jumbo frames turn them off

you can also make sure you’re correctly set up for wireless N

http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Wireless-N_Configuration

an improperly configured N network, will fall back to G speeds

if those don’t work, you’ll need better hardward that can actually handle blu-ray

First off, thanks all who replied, i appreciate the help.

@KAD79 im totally down with upgrading my network, im trying out the nfs switch now, but am anticipating an actual hardware upgrade. are there any components that you recommend so that i can stream such large files wirelessly? ie. router,  external wireless adaptor, or anything else?

Additionally, how to i adjust flow control and jumbo frames?

Thanks again for the help.

Ian

flow control and jumbo frames will be in the network adaptor settings in windows

flow control should be off

jumbo frames may also be listed as MTU, anything above 1500 is considered a jumbo frame

it’s also important to note that with wireless networking there are several factors that can effect performance

channel congestion, check what wireless channels are being used in your area

choose a channel that has less interference from any neighboring networks

distance and obstacles

the farther the router is from the WD the less throughput you will get

also the more walls, etc … that the signal must travel through will degrade the signal

it’s also very important to correctly configure the N network

if your not sure what things to check in your router, read the article at the link provided above

beyond the above, upgrading hardware can make a difference

N @ 2x Mimo is 300 Mbps theoretical max

N @ 3x Mimo is 450 Mbps theoretical max

AC 1300 Mbps theoretical max

actually throuput on a properly configured network will be lower than the above numbers

both router and adaptor must be correctly configured and both must support the above speeds you want to use

for router I like the Asus RT-AC66U

as for an adaptor to use with your Hub you’ll have to review the supported listed,

I can’t recommend one, because I dont’ own a HUB, I own the SMP which has built in wireless

http://wdc.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/3805/session/L3RpbWUvMTM2ODAzNTQ4My9zaWQvKmlURGhIcGw%3D

also in reviewing the list pay close attention to the version # in the list, other version # may not work

A word of caution from myself…

I bought the next model down …the ASUS RT-56U, and I also bought the ASUS USB-N53 for a Laptop upstairs.

Waste of time, all the pictures, numbers turned out to be a work of fiction really. If you want to stream 1080p it has to be wired. Yes you may get lucky, as I live in quite an old house, but don’t listen to the websites facts and figures too much.

Just my opinion of course.

each indivual’s hardware and set will be different

hardwired is definetely the easiest option for streaming blu-ray content

but wireless is possible, I’ve set up quite a few different systems in different homes

which work for streaming blu-ray wirelessly

but then most people are not willing to go through the all the set up and testing that I do