i’ve some problems with one off my wd-sentinel. I’ve two Sentinels. One NAS-System works as active Storage system in my network and the other one consist copies from the active system. I use a simple batch to compare data’s between the active and the passive system. If data has been changed to the active system, the changes are transferred to the passive system. The batch runs as task job every day.
Since the last Firmware Update to my passive Sentinel (it was my last change on the Device), I’ve some problems to reach samba shares on my active system. The Problem is, that the Explorer from passive System shows the Folder “Server Folders” from active System as shared folder. All my shared folders which was created in Dashboard will now shown as a simple subfolder from “ServerFolders” and not as shared folderes.
Before I’ve installed the new update, it works fine. The Explorer shows my shared folders correct like this:
\active-system\share1, \active-system\share2, …, \active-system\share9
And now show it like this:
share1, share2 etc. are shown as simple Subfolders.
Note: If the system correct works, the Folder “ServerFolders” aren’t shown as a share folder in the explorer.
The result of this problem is that all my files were deleted on the passive system because my batch script assumes that the files have been removed from the source.
To resolve this Problem I tried to reboot the Sentinels, unplug/plug the network cable, refresh DNS-zone data and AD. Finally, I removed the passive system from AD and tried to reach the shares on my active system as a client outside the Domain (after succeed authentication).
But the Problem still remains.
Hope you understand my bad English and give some ideas to resolve this problem.
Thanks a lot to all.