Network Share Media Library does not update

Hi All -

I never have issues with the WD Live TV Hub connecting to the network share residing on my Windows 2008 server hosting video files.

But, when I add new video files to a folder within that share, they do not appear unless I reboot the WDTVLIVEHUB.

I opened a support ticket with WD and received a confirmation that "Unfortunately in order to synch the data between the player and your network after you have erased files from the network you will need to power off the device and restart it one more time. "

Can this really be the case and libraries hosted on network shares are not updated unless rebooting the device?  Certainly this is a bug or lack of thought on the development team?

Can a few folks confirm this to be true?

J

I don’t think you’re actually talking about SYNCing; I think you’re referring to the fact that the MEDIA LIBRARY doesn’t re-compile automatically after adding content to a network share.

You don’t actually have to power off the box;  you can just go into SETUP / OPERATION / RESTART.

It does the same thing without actually power cycling the box.

Although WD Support recommended to Power Cycle the Hub, I actually do a restart as you suggested. 

But still, seems a bit short sighted. 

If scraping and compiliation would improve the box would be ideal.

J

1 Like

I have never been able to get the tvhub to “see” network shares that are on machines that belong to a domain (only members of a workgroup).  Is your W2008 server a member of a domain or a wotkgroup?  If domain - how did you “share” the directory to get the hub to see it?

I was having the same issue with new videos added to my Movie folder on my PC. What’s the point of having sync turned on? It takes a couple hours for the Live Hub to index all my media every time I restart it and it interferes with movie playback when it is indexing during. I hope WD will adress this in a future firmware update.

I have the same problem…

Rebuilding the whole library each time I add a single file, is not a working solution. I have hundreds of movies and thousands of mp3s… I cannot wait two hours everytime…

The real problem is that I cannot even see the new files. If I could use something like a file browser and find media that don’t belong to the library, I would be happy. 

I presume that:

-If I rebuild the media library, I will lose the Content Info, moviesheets I made with WDTV Hub etc.

-If I turn off the media library from the setup menu, I can see imediately the new files, but I cannot see the movieseets I made with WDTV nor meke new ones.

Am I right?

I am afraid that I am going to sell it… :frowning:

Does anyone know what to do to get the WDHub to “see” shares that are on a server that is a member of a domain (i.e. not a member of a workgroup)??

Thanks for the tip.  It worked and I can now see the titles I added to my Movies share on my WDTV Live Hub.  I think everyone’s frustration comes from the fact that we have to do anything at all to see new titles added to a shared folder that the Live Hub has access to.  I don’t remember having to do that with any of the previous versions of the WDTV Live.  If this is an “improvement” then WD is headed in the wrong direction.  

Again, thanks for the tip. It’s nice to have a workaround.

Cheers,

Networx

I’m also running into this problem.  Adding files to my network share will never show up as content in the library without rebuilding the entire library.  Why hasn’t this been fixed?  Is there some setting that needs to be changed from the defaullt?

I think everyone’s frustration comes from the fact that we have to do anything at all to see new titles added to a shared folder that the Live Hub has access to.  I don’t remember having to do that with any of the previous versions of the WDTV Live.  If this is an “improvement” then WD is headed in the wrong direction.

Yes exactly. I really like the idea of the media library but I’m going to have to turn it off if it wont auto update when I add a file or change a name. Every time I need to turn off media library and then turn it back on in order to see a change. Not even turning on the WD will update it.