Network link down

Hi, not sure if this issue has been discussed elsewhere but I did not manage to locate it.

Few times a week I get a notification thought my WD Access “Network Link Down”. As this message appears, there remains no remote access to the device.

The only way around this that I have found is that I have to switch the Cloud Access settings to “OFF” and then back “ON” to re-establish connection. This is however just a temporary fix.

Is there any permanent fix for this?

I have WIN7 and MyCloud 2TB.

What router do you have? Are your other network devices off at the same time? What troubleshooting steps have you taken, if any? Have you used Windows 7 Help?

Windows 7 should have some type of Network Troubleshooter. See example image below.

I would check your router. It is probably resetting frequently, and being given a different IP address by your ISP each time. This breaks the port forwarding connection.

The mostly likely causes of router reset are faulty router, or a line fault. Contact your ISP and get them to investigate for line faults.

Thanks for the replies, I tried the Win 7 router troubleshooting tool but it did not detect any issues. Other than that I have not tried anything. All other devices that are connected work just fine and never go offline unintentionally. The router is Vodafone H500-s.

cpt_paranoia, yes while I am not very good with these kind of things, the assumption that the router would reset itself once in a while could sound like a possible cause. Is there a way around this?

Cheers

Turning off port forwarding mode for cloud access, and using relay mode only, seems to stop the loss of connection.

But it means that all traffic must go via the WD server (relay), rather than a direct internet connection from your remote device to the MyCloud (after establishing the path from the WD server) (port forwarding mode).

Hi, I checked my settings and it seems that the port forwarding mode is already “off” (see pic).