Netgear Powerline Ethernet Adapter

I use this product with great success for other network devcices but it does not seem coompatible with WDTVL-plus.  I can see my PC sometimes and then it disconnects from the network.  When I swith to a Linksys USB wrls adpater all is fine though the transfer rate is slow at times and the conenction isn t great.  Any suggestions or is a pwerline adapter just completely incompatible with this device?

What do you mean by “it Disconnects from the Network?”  What’s the symptoms?

What model is the adapter?  (Many of them are WAY too slow to support reliable streaming at bit rates > 10 mbit/sec)

It looks like sometimes it gets an IP address and conencts and then minutes later I can’t connect to the PC and there is no IP address when I try to check the connection.  I have the XE- 104 and XLT?..claims to be 85mbps.  Thanks

If it’s actually disconnecting (and the lights go out) then it’s most likely an issue with the adapters.

What device is on the other end?   Another XE-104?

I don’t seem to have a problem conencting a laptop and using the internet.  lights flicker but that is normal and shows activity.  Does anyone know if there is an issue using pwerline adapters to connect wdltv to the network?  Yes an XE 104 is one the other end connected to a netgear wrls router via ethernet cable.  I have tried xe 104 connecting to the wdtv and xet-1001 (with xe-104 on other end connected to wrls router)

When I go wirless usinig a linksys usb adapter it looks fine.  While my wrls router (netgear wng824?) is supposedly “slow”, watching video made with an hd camcorder looked ok.  Would a faster router make the resolution better?  I dont have any latency or pixel breakdown with the current wireless router.  Sorry for asking so much, just trying to solve and get the best set-up given some constraints.

No, a different router won’t affect the resolution.   The the transfer speed is not fast enough, you’ll get a loss of audio and jerky video.   It won’t lower the resolution.

Since the XE104 has multiple ports, try plugging your WDTV and your LAPTOP in at the same time.

issue the command

ping -t [ip address of your router]

and let it run continuously while you use your WDTV.

When your WDTV loses connection, go to the PC and see if the PINGs have started to fail.

If all is well, it will look like this:

Pinging 10.0.0.1 with 32 bytes of data:

Reply from 10.0.0.1: bytes=32 time<1ms TTL=64

**etc…

Ping statistics for 10.0.0.1:

Packets: Sent = xxxxx, Received = xxxxx, Lost = 0 (0% loss),

Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:

Minimum = 0ms, Maximum = 0ms, Average = 0ms

If LOST is anything other than 0, then there may be something wrong with the powerline connection that is interfering with the WD.

Several people here are using powerline products that haven’t reported this specific issue.

1 Like

Thanks Tony.  I will try it. 

Sounds to me like your powerline link is dropping out. I would recommend trying out some adapters that use HomePlug AV rated at 200Mbps (versus the HomePlug Turbo units rated at 85Mbps). With the higher throughput, you also get a higher degree of reliability.

I’m using some adapters from Plaster Networks that HIGHLY recommend for this application, because they add some extra technology (on top of HomePlug) to ensure a much more stable, reliable connection over the powerline - even in really “noisy” powerline environments.