Netflix + Subtitles

When is the WD TV Live Plus going to support subtitling in Nettflix? I get subtitles for some movies on Netflix using my WII, but the same movie does not have the subtitling option on my WD TV Live Plus.

The Wii uses a newer version of the Netflix API (as do the other consoles and I believe the AppleTV).

If WD switch to it, it would also offer support for Search and possibly 5.1 audio / 1080p.

However, there have been no indications that WD will be doing so in the near future.  They’re either holding the info close to their chest or it simply isn’t happening yet.

■■■■. 

Just got my Live+ yesterday to put in bedroom.  I’vve been using a PS3 for netflix in my family room and i just ASSUMED that WDTV would have subtitle support.  I’d say about 50% of what I watch on Netflix is foreign subtitled movies. 

Groan.

Any hear of any updates to this. I like to use subtitles at night sometimes to keep the volume low and not wake up the kids. I imagine the hearing impaired are anxious for this as well. Anyone know if WD has plans to allow for subtitles in Netflix?

Check out my reply to this thread for some insight into how Netflix is deploying updates and why WD are unable to quickly provide Netflix updates: http://community.wdc.com/t5/Firmware/Netflix-Canada/m-p/153938#M10117

Nice…my reply disappeared. Anyway, it seems like the content creators are the oens writing the apps for these devices. Anyone know if that is true? If so, should we be bugging Netflix instead of WD about updating the Netflix app? It is disappointing to see the latest devices having search, surround, and subtitles already.

I asked Hulu about their app and their response makes it sound like they are the ones developing the app for the WD TV devices…I wonder if Netflix is similar.

New firmware with Netflix subtitles is AWESOME! Thank you so much. Now I can enjoy this with my hearing impaired friends.

Next is Hulu support.

mu51c10rd wrote:

Anyway, it seems like the content creators are the oens writing the apps for these devices. Anyone know if that is true? If so, should we be bugging Netflix instead of WD about updating the Netflix app? It is disappointing to see the latest devices having search, surround, and subtitles already.

I asked Hulu about their app and their response makes it sound like they are the ones developing the app for the WD TV devices…I wonder if Netflix is similar.

Yes and no…kinda :wink:

As far as I know, WD had been using NetFlix’s supplied API in the past… this meant WD was limited in what NetFlix would and wouldn’t let them do with the streams, but WD could tinker with the UI to some extent.  But even then, missing features were due to the fact that NetFlix didn’t allow for them in the API, not because WD just didn’t add them.

Now, Netflix has moved to an HTML5-based interface.  The new WD firmwares just call the new NetFlix interface as provided by Netflix.  It means WD doesn’t have to compile a new firmware every time NetFlix wants to tinker with something.  WD essentially just needs the one set of compiled codes, and then NetFlix can monkey around and change/add/remove things any time they want.