Netflix Picture Goes Dark using WD Live Plus

When I play a video from Netflix my picture goes dark.  The video is still streaming it is just not displaying on my screen.  I turn off my TV and turn it back on again and I get the picture back.  It was a constant thing with the latest firmware so I downgraded to version 1.03.49 and now it is only occurring randomly.  I suspect this is a sync issue between my TV and the WD Live Plus, but don’t have a clue as what else to try.  Anyone have any ideas?

My guess is it is WD’s screwed up implementation of HDMI.  But, they blame every TV and cable manufacturer, claiming that Sony, Samsung, LG, etc. aren’t making their HDMI ports standard. Its very telling that my TV has no problem operating properly with HDMI connections to an Xbox360, Roku box, Sony Blu-ray player (also with Netflix), Philips DVD player… but the WDTV’s “correct implementation” of HDMI causes problems that makes it unusable.

I had to forego using the HDMI connection and instead use the component connection along wtih the digital audio output. 

cew0719 wrote:

My guess is it is WD’s screwed up implementation of HDMI.  But, they blame every TV and cable manufacturer, claiming that Sony, Samsung, LG, etc. aren’t making their HDMI ports standard. Its very telling that my TV has no problem operating properly with HDMI connections to an Xbox360, Roku box, Sony Blu-ray player (also with Netflix), Philips DVD player… but the WDTV’s “correct implementation” of HDMI causes problems that makes it unusable.

I had to forego using the HDMI connection and instead use the component connection along wtih the digital audio output. 

The biggest problem with WD’s implementation of HDMI is that when you set the resolution and the color space manually, the WD box does not remember these settings. The next time that you turn the WD box on, instead of using the settings that you made, it tries to auto negotiate with your TV. No other device in the world works that way!

Any manual setting of resolution/frequency and color space values should override the auto negotiated setting!!! If WD would implement this simple fix it would eliminate a lot of HDMI problems.