Netflix issue

Hi, I’m having trouble with Netflix, it started about a month ago.

I’m on firmware version: 2.01.86, newer version seem to make my wdtv very slow so I downgraded awhile back.

Here is a picture I took while watching Orange is the new black.

It’s a bad encode.  Call NetFlix.

By the way, your post is in the wrong forum. This forum is for the 2009 model WDTV Live HD and 2010 model WDTV Live Plus.

The forum for the 2011 WDTV Live Streaming Media Player is here: http://community.wd.com/t5/WD-TV-Live-SMP-Discussions/bd-p/streaming_discussions
The forum for the 2014 WD TV Media Player is here: http://community.wd.com/t5/WD-TV-Media-Player/bd-p/wdtv_media_player

I agree with the bad encode, I just finished watching the new season of Orange is the New Black the other night and across multiple episodes there was horrible encoding artifact blobs popping up randomly on the lower 20% or so of the screen… They must have just recently switched up something with their encodes…  If other new releases are doing it as well that would further lay blame on the encode…

I don’t think it’s a problem on Netflix side because I watched an episode of Archer on my wdtv and found the image got distorted several times during playback but when I watched it on my smart tv the video played perfectly. Maybe Netflix has updated something with thier encoding and since WD hasn’t released an update in a while we are going to be stuck with these Netflix app errors.

wolmerian wrote:
I don’t think it’s a problem on Netflix side because I watched an episode of Archer on my wdtv and found the image got distorted several times during playback but when I watched it on my smart tv the video played perfectly. Maybe Netflix has updated something with thier encoding and since WD hasn’t released an update in a while we are going to be stuck with these Netflix app errors.

Netflix has multiple encodes for different hardware / software players.

And for each hardware / software player, they have multiple encodes / transcodes for different and varying bitrates.