Netflix in the UK (Cant connect - yes another)

The reason that the US DNS is not working anymore, is because UNBlockUS have tighened their controls to stop freeloaders.

I suggest signing up to their 1 week free trial.  This will then get you on the US Netflix fine.  Then if you like sign up to it for £3.20 a month.

Just received my shiny new box from Amazon, plugged it in, immediately it updated the firmware and now I get the 502 error - can’t connect to Netflix.

Can someone from WD confirm they are actively working on a solution i.e. they have spoken to Netfix, if required, to understand why the service is not working of are actively working on a firmware fix and when this will be rolled out.

Love the kit but will return it to Amazon and purchase another product unless WD can confirm they are working on this.

Just to add I’m not interest in tinkering with DNS etc. It should work as adverttised by both  WD and Netflix and that’s out of the box.

Look forward to WD reply.

This is a user to user forum and not really for asking WD any questions, however the WD mod has commented on your problem here.

http://community.wdc.com/t5/WD-TV-Live-Streaming-Discussions/Netflix-in-the-UK-Cant-connect-yes-another/m-p/363201/highlight/true#M6180

Thanks richUK but the comment didn’t resolve the issue.

Anyway, I’ve since managed to fix this issue myself. Box is working just fine now.

NeilGB wrote:

I’ve since managed to fix this issue myself.

how?

Has anyone actually heard back from WD support and managed to get Netflix working in the UK using normal UK DNS ?

If so can you let us know so we can call or use email support , saying that its been a few days and i have not received any response emails from WD ,after my initial email to them.

Any updates on this? I have an old WDTV Live HD and was thinking of upgrading to a new WDTV Live mainly for the Netfliix capability. Not sure I want to bother until this issue is sorted…

I am currently in the proccess of waiting to hear back from WD , but the support said it was been passed to their engineers. I would hold on for a bit to see what the outcome is if i were you  , i will put another post up if they resolve my problem might be good if others do the same.

Would you care to share your “fix” with the community, please?

I too have been informed that their engineering team are investigating this with Netflix.

Unfortunately there has not been much in communication or update from WD. I am sure though that they are doing all they can.

I’m not even an owner yet, but I don’t want to buy until there’s confirmation that this will get fixed.

What I see on the forum is that initially serveral people worked around the issue by using the unblock-us DNS servers just to start up and were then able to set the DNS to auto and view the UK. I also saw one user say that they used a generic US DNS server.

So, echoing the previous comments, can anyone confirm what is required? If someone says that just using a generic US DNS server solves the problem (I don’t want to pay unblock-US for a service) then I could possibly live with that.To clarify… a US DNS server to make it work pointing at the UK netflix service.

It just seems that this is so widespread that there should be a quick solution, but it’s been going on for weeks now, so I’m getting concerned that there is some major geo-location issue that may not have any easy fix.

JMcD.

We’re definitely working on it.  But that’s all I know at this moment.

1 Like

Don’t assume that everybody has this problem. I watched Netflix UK perfectly OK for a couple of months. I am based in the south of England.

Hi Rich uk ,are you using UK DNS and always use UK DNS and if so is all ok for you now with Netflix? 

Maybe you could help WD support .

I am not with Netflix UK now, but when I was I was using the DNS that I always use and it worked fine. For information I use OpenDNS Home (free).

I understand that not everyone may have this problem, but I have no evidence either way. It seems to be that this was working and then broke a few weeks ago, so even you might not be able to use it if you were to try again. Or it may be that using opendns is a solution. We just don’t know, and since I don’t have a box I can’t test :slight_smile:

Amazon has several reports from people who took the SMP out of the box and Netflix was not working. It’s very bad PR for WD.

I do appreciate the response from the WD poster, and understand that such posts often need to be very constrained. It would be nice to have more information, but I guess that won’t come until it fixed (assuming it is at some point…).

J

Netflix still isn’t working for me.  This is a disgrace, it has been going on for weeks.

Can someone from WD at least acknowledge my issue?

Sorry to hear about your problem connecting to Netflix, must admit it is a bit strange. I have had my SMP for a couple of months now and have had no problems at all.

My original box connected with netflix(uk) just fine. sadly it started operating by itself when the remote was used. Received a replacement today , updated the firmware, and whilts it will connect to the US netflix(which won’t accept my login details) , it just says it can’t connect to netflix when attempting to connect to the Uk site(502 error).

Still deciding which is the bigger problem- bad remote performance or no netflix.

Having read this thread and the other netflix one, its clear that this has been an ongoing problem for weeks now for some people.

Why has there been no solution? Why is WD being so quiet on upcoming solutions?

No offense to the community manager(Bill) who has a difficult job , but this is quite poor support from WD.

I unboxed my WD TV Live this morning. It auto updated the firmware sraight away, before I had chance to try Netflix. When I tried it after the update I got the 502 error. I was unaware of this issue at the time and phoned Netflix support. After being put on hold for 15 minutes or so I was told it was not a known issue but was almost certainly down to WD. Hard to beleive they’re unaware of it really…