Netflix in the UK (Cant connect - yes another)

Glyn007 wrote:

Bill_S wrote:

Glyn007 wrote:

Bill_S wrote:

That depends.  If a firmware update affects the settings you’ve set through the UI, then those settings will be reset according to the firmware - whether it’s an update or a rollback.  However, your user info for all your services should NOT be affected, because they are located in another area other than in the firmware.

Thank you that is what I am getting at unless the Unit it totally cleared then a firmware roll back will not fix the problem if even a simple thing as your user name and passwords being stored because if the unit can store these things in another area then it can  allow a bug to be stored in the same area, causing the roll back not to work. And I can assure I have tried the rollback  and it does not  fix the problem with Netflix…!!!

That I don’t know.  But I have escalated this and another thread dealing with this issue.  So, we should get some traction on this by Monday.  Not necessarily a fix, but people looking into it.  Also, this may not just be our issue.  It could be something up with Netflix as well.  If it is, then we’ll see a fix quickly.

Thank you very much for your help. You maybe right it might be Netflix and it could be just a coincidence that it happened at the same time as the WD firmware update.  But I am a bit concerned that the unit cannot be totally wiped,as I have said if there is any part of the system that holds information , then that section is likely to store a bug in the same area,so defeating the object of a firmware update.

Anyway once again thanks for you help and prompt replies…!!!:smiley:

It can be totally wiped. You simply reset it to factory defaults in the internal menu. You continually imply that you are technically able but you seem to have missed this simple procedure.

With a comment like that you obviously know nothing about  a simple thing like what firmware does and how it works.:wink:

Hi all .

Had my WDTV live unit for two months now and netflix has never worked right!

I had to do the DNS  address trick where you log on USA netflix then revert back to your normal DNS .

But that seems to be a quick fix and why should we have to mess about i only brought this device to watch netflix but  sooner or later netflix kicks the wdtv live device.

And now with the 107 update cannot get on at all even using other DNS. Find this really wierd as when you look at a pc using  normal DNS netflix works fine on a computer. Anyway phoned netflix yesterday they say to sort out with WD as netflix say the device should work!   Please sort out WD as i cant use netflix and that makes what should be a good product pointless.

This has been escalated, WD will be looking at this asap, see post from Bill_S from WD.

Glyn007 wrote:

With a comment like that you obviously know nothing about  a simple thing like what firmware does and how it works.:wink:

You say that it keeps the information however if you reset to factory defaults it does not. Sorted. Just do it and move on.

richUK wrote:

Glyn007 wrote:

You say that it keeps the information however if you reset to factory defaults it does not. Sorted. Just do it and move on.

If you read Bills comment from WD he confirmed  the unit still stores you user name and passwords. meaning the Unit is not totally cleared so you are wrong. Even if you remove them there is still a storage area for a corrupt file  to reside in. which can be hidden from your view.

You seem to be struggling understanding  how the unit works.

Glyn007 wrote:

richUK wrote:

Glyn007 wrote:

If you read Bills comment from WD he confirmed  the unit still stores you user name and passwords. meaning the Unit is not totally cleared so you are wrong.

You seem to be struggling understanding  how the unit works.

Unlike you I know exactly how this works. If you update the firmware it does not overwrite the user info because it is stored in a different place and that is what Bill said. However if you go to the internal menu System / Setup / Device reset  and select ‘Reset all settings back to factory default’ you will find that all user info is wiped and all settings etc are set to factory default. Why not try it instead of telling me how to **bleep** eggs!

A lot of users actually recommend that you reset to factory defaults before updating and then do it again after the update has taken place, they believe that this gives them less problems. Its true to say that this reset may do nothing for you but is always worth a try and you have nothing to lose. In fact if you really believe that this user info could be causing a problem then this is a great way to test your theory.

Ok to put it as SIMPLE as I can. Even if you do all what you said. Then if there is an area to retain your user name and password then it can retain a hidden bug which you have no control over.

I am not going to say any more on this point as you just don’t understand.

Phew…!!! I bet tech support struggle getting through to you.

Glyn007 wrote:

Ok to put it as SIMPLE as I can. Even if you do all what you said. Then if there is an area to retain your user name and password then it can retain a hidden bug which you have no control over.

I am not going to say any more on this point as you just don’t understand.

Phew…!!! I bet tech support struggle getting through to you.

Bye (Some of us don’t need tech support :wink:)

I’ve had the same problems, but have got round it for now.  For all those that used to use the DNS trick, the reason this is no longer working is that UnblockUS have made a change to their systems and stopped all the freeloaders.  Mine is working fine now by signing up to UnblockUS trial.  Since doing this no problems watching US Netflix, and I guess now my WD TV live is correctly activated I couild switch back to UK Netflix if I wanted.

The only problem with this new UnblockUS service is that I have to re-authenicate with them each day, hopefully they will change this to weekly/monthly soon, as its annoying a lot of their customers.  Will probably sign up to the UnblockUS service fully when my trial ends.

Lee.

LeeOgley wrote:

I’ve had the same problems, but have got round it for now.  For all those that used to use the DNS trick, the reason this is no longer working is that UnblockUS have made a change to their systems and stopped all the freeloaders.  Mine is working fine now by signing up to UnblockUS trial.  Since doing this no problems watching US Netflix, and I guess now my WD TV live is correctly activated I couild switch back to UK Netflix if I wanted.

The only problem with this new UnblockUS service is that I have to re-authenticate with them each day, hopefully they will change this to weekly/monthly soon, as its annoying a lot of their customers.  Will probably sign up to the UnblockUS service fully when my trial ends.

Lee.

_ Your Spot on Lee. They have now blocked free loaders and you now have to subscribe after your trial period is up for Netflix USA to work. _

_ Plus as you say you need to re-authenticat** e each da **y  to UnblockUS on your pc to allow WD Live to use Netflix USA. _

Hello.

Just to say why should we be messing about with UnblockUS other DNS servers and re-logging in and out of netflix with all the hassle. We, the customer should be able to log into netflix uk site with our wdtv live devices and use the same as you would BBC i player . It is sold to us saying netflix works, it does not.

There are two issues here.

1. People wanting to watch Netflix US due to it’s much greater content, more of which is in HD.

2. People not able to log into the UK Netflix.

Using Unblock USA correctly, i.e. paying for it will get you full US content, it just now people are having to pay for this ability, something which we’ve got away with for a while without, but at only $50 a year, good price to pay for additional content, for me at least.

With regards to UK Netflix issues, obviously WD/Netflix are having a few issues, of which I would have thought will be their main priority in fixing.  With this in mind, I would hope that in 1-2 weeks it will be fixed.  Now whilst waiting for this to be fixed, you can you the Unblock US trial (1 week), and the UnoTelly trial (1 week, identical to Unblock), to get you device working, then swtich the DNS back to UK for UK content if that is what you are after, while WD sort things.

My only worry is that when WD release their next update, to fix the UK netflix issues, they dont stop the device from accessing the USA content, as I’m hearing a few rumours online about WD sneaking geo-location software onto their devices, which I presume will scupter me being able to watch US content (will just have to not update the firmware if thats the case).

Lee.

I totally agree Lee. UnblockUS works out at £31 a year very cheap for the amount of content Netflix USA have. The thing is you will only need to use it for a year as Netflix told me the UK will have almost the same amount of content as the USA within 6-10 months. The reason she gave that time limit is that all the negotiations Netflix is having with the Film and TV companies at the moment is for Global rights and not just for the USA.

Exiting times ahead,only downside is I wish WD Live had Hulu ,LoveFilm and Sky apps on the Unit . There are a lot of Apps at the moment on there that I personally am not interested in.

If you switch the DNS back to your normal one Netflix UK  just deactivates the device after a bit.

Hi there,

Could someone please explain how you switch your DNS (as mentioned in a few posts in this thread) and how this corrects the Netflix connection error issue?

Cheers,

IronDuke

Just a quick note on my comment above. I figured out the DNS changing mentioned above and it seemd to do the trick. Thanks to whomever figured this out!

Cheers,

IronDuke

Does Netflix work on the WD Streaming Media Player in Ireland ?

I have the ‘502’ error - of course!

I e-mailed WD customer care 6 days ago - the day I got he box in order to play Netflix (as advertised) and spent hours trying get it to work.

I got no response other than the mail from the auto-responder!

I am not interested in spoofing American IPs or any such to get it to work.

This is a retail product - I do not expect to have to hack it.  I did “factory reset” it, more out of hope than expectation.  It was upgraded to the latest firmware during the initial install.

I have a Netflix account that works and the box is working correctly on the home LAN (as far as I can tell)

This is rediculous.  My Netflix hasn’t worked for over a week.

Getting an error when using US DNS and also when using UK.

What the **bleep** is going on?  When will it be fixed?

Got it working see

http://community.wdc.com/t5/WD-TV-Live-Streaming-Discussions/Netflix-Service-not-working-in-Ireland/m-p/367387/highlight/false#M6431