Netbios over TCIP/IP must be enabled?

You’re kidding right? …This opens up all your shares to anybody on the internet…NOT a good practice…z

zardiw wrote:

…This opens up all your shares to anybody on the internet…NOT a good practice…z

Uh, no.

I’m starting to think this WD Live box is a very dangerous thing…It can connect to the internet at will…it has access to all your shares…can anybody connect the dots here…z

Quote: uh no…

No what?

z

C’mon.  You need to understand some basic networking principles.

Yes, if your firewall is wide open, your WDs can access the internet at will.  But so what if it does?

No, it does NOT have access to ALL your shares.   It has access only to the shares you permit it access to.

You’re worried to death of a WD, but you’re using a PC which is FAR more vulnerable to exploit.

Perhaps I should rephrase that…NetBIOS over TCP has the POTENTIAL to expose all your shares to anybody on the Internet…At least on a XP box…z

Quote:

No, it does NOT have access to ALL your shares.   It has access only to the shares you permit it access to.

How do you figure…Unless you password protect your shares…Which the avg user has no clue about…of course the WD Box has access to all shares…z

But answer me this…Is NetBIOS over TCP required for the box to see Network Shares?

And if so…how come I can see the USB Drive attached to the WD Box without having that enabled?

z

And here’s another thing…I have a good firewall…and I keep a pretty tight lid on everything

SO…If I let the WD box through the firewall…which I do…cause you have to to use it over the network…how can you prevent it from accessing the Internet…It’s either one or the other no?..z

No.