Need Urgent Assistance: How can I compare files between two EX2 Ultra NAS?

I received a replacement device under warranty.
For the lack of a better “system”, I had to copy all the content from the old/bad NAS to the new one, before I format the hard drive and returns the bad unit to WD.
When I compare users/folders in both devices, I get the same exact number of folders/files, which means I am not missing anything.
However, when I look at each NAS’ dashboard, it seems like I am missing about 18GB of Photos, which doesn’t make sense because again - all folders/users’ content is identical.

Is there any way to find out the ‘missing’ files, or what is causing the discrepancy in the Photos capacity between the two devices?

There is also a discrepancy in the Other file type but it seems like there is more content in the New NAS so I am not so worried about that.

This is urgent as I need to finalize the transfer and return the old unit.

Any assistance will be appreciated.

The content breakdown shown in the pie chart is coming from the WD content database that scans and logs your content set. Are you running the same firmware on both devices? You can also try rebuilding the database to see if the numbers change/match. Settings/General/Cloud Access/Configure/Content Database Rebuild.

Btw, did you do a RAID roaming from the old NAS to new NAS?

1 Like

@jchen - pardon my ignorance but what is RAID roaming?

What does Database Rebuild do? Can’t it cause data lose? And shall I do it on the old or the new device?

Thanks!

Here is an article on RAID roaming - My Cloud: Moving Hard Drives From an Enclosure to Another Enclosure (RAID Roaming)

The WD content database does not modify your data. It builds a hidden folder of content info and respective thumbnails. Then these info gets used by the WD software (i.e mobile app).

1 Like

OK, so since I already moved all my data to the new drive in an old-fashioned way, I don’t see a point of doing RAID roaming at this time.

Shall I try DB Rebuild (I assume on the old enclosure) to see if this fixes the capacity/usage discrepancy?

OK, so I run DB rebuild on both devices and now the numbers are pretty much aligned so I believe the issue has been solved. The minor 300 something MB discrepancy in the old NAS’ “Other” can probably be contributed to logs, cache and other things. The difference was (after I run one rebuilt) about 8 GB and after uninstalling two apps and another DB rebuilt it came very close, so I think I am good.

Thank you for your help!

I think you really want to get a folder comparison program if you do transfers like this in the future.

I have a windows based one that I run from a PC. It compares names, size and time stamp on each file and points out any differences. It then can synchronize folders to help you keep things straight.

1 Like