Need to recover data from MBL Duo

I have a MBL Duo which has been running for the past year and a half in RAID1 (which I thought provided decent data safety) without any major issues. However, within the past couple of days the network connection to the NAS became unstable (the green LED still flashing) and then I could not connect to it (the green LED went solid).

After reading instructions in this great forum I bought a SATA dock and tried  ‘DiskInternals Linux Reader’, but it marks the drive as ‘unallocated space’ and when I try to open the partition then it says ‘cannot open disk’. There is only one partition. Then I tried R-Linux, but it lists the partition with a blank field under ‘file system’ and the partition type as ‘Unknown (0xee). When I try to open the drive files I get an error message saying that ‘the selected disk does not contain any supported file systems or the file system is corrupted’.

I am in desperate need for some good advice from the experts on this forum. There is roughly 2.4TB on the NAS and some of that data is very important to me.

I have read on this forum that connecting the HD using a SATA dock might not work as well as connecting the drive to a desktop. However, I only have a laptop and no access to a desktop so I am stuck with the SATA dock.

By new MBL Duo and mount the HDs in that? Somebody in the forum tried that, but it didn’t help.

Should I contact a data recovery company for assistance?

I have read that one user on this forum tried to mount the HDs in a new MBL Duo, but that did not help him. Is this something I should try? It would of course require that I by a new MBL Duo.

To make matters even worse I have an older My Book Edition II which failed a couple of days earlier than the MBL Duo. When placing one of the HDs in the SATA dock I get the same results as for the MBL Duo.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

K.T.

Kostya_Tszyu,

This is most unfortunate. RAID 1 is a fault-tolerance system that allows for continuous data access in case of an individual disk failure, however, it does not protect against data volume corruption or controller failure. Both disk drives inside the controller casing should be accessible for recovery purposes on Linux-based systems able tu support the EXT3 file system, unless they (Disk drives) are corrupted.

If Data Recovery is imperative and a proper recovery environment is not accessible, then perhaps you could try contacting Western Digital’s select data recovery partners.

http://support.wd.com/recovery/index.asp?lang=en