Need steps to install Twonky 7.0.5

Hi,

Twonky 7.0.5 is downlodable at  http://www.twonkyforum.com/downloads/7.0.5-Special/ 

Does anyone know what are the steps needed to install Twonky 7.0.5?

Thanks,

These steps are for 6.0.3.9, not sure it the same apply to 7.05.  

Note in v7 some of the filenames have changed:

NOTE in v7 they have renamed

twonkymedia               →     twonkystarter

twonkymediaserver     →     twonkyserver

twonkymedia-server.ini →    twonkyserver.ini 

I created a new directory and just relinked them with the old. Then only have to recreate the link after a WD upgrade.

cd /CacheVolume

mkdir twonky7

cd twonky7

unzip

ln -s twonkystarter twonkymedia

ln -s twonkyserver twonkymediaserver 

ln -s twonkymedia-server.ini twonkyserver.ini

cd /usr/local

/etc/init.d/twonky stop

mv twonkymedia-5 twonkymedia-5-old

ln -s /CacheVolume/twonky7 twonkymedia-5

/etc/init.d/twonky start

You might want to compare the original twonkymedia-server.ini with the one from the v7 install (twonkyserver.ini)

I think I just updated contentbase parameter

Hope that helps.

Need solution. I assume this is the embedded version for the MyBook Live.  Is this a 30-day trial and a licence needs to be purchased or does it see Twonky5 and happily allow itself to run as a full licenced version?

If you upgrade to either v6 or v7, then you need a licence file after the 30 days.

Thanks for clearing that up. It’s a valid question because some people will see “embedded” and “twonky” and “7.0.5” and believe that it’s a direct free upgrade when in fact is it not.  A licence MUST be purchased.

I tried jumper1 instructions for twonky 6. Unfortunately, none of the video fomats are playing. 

Has anyone done a clean uninstall of previous versions and installation of the new version 7? 

Thanks

Bernie-uk wrote:

Note in v7 some of the filenames have changed:

NOTE in v7 they have renamed

twonkymedia               →     twonkystarter

twonkymediaserver     →     twonkyserver

twonkymedia-server.ini →    twonkyserver.ini 

I created a new directory and just relinked them with the old. Then only have to recreate the link after a WD upgrade.

cd /CacheVolume

mkdir twonky7

cd twonky7

unzip

ln -s twonkystarter twonkymedia

ln -s twonkyserver twonkymediaserver 

ln -s twonkymedia-server.ini twonkyserver.ini

cd /usr/local

/etc/init.d/twonky stop

mv twonkymedia-5 twonkymedia-5-old

ln -s /CacheVolume/twonky7 twonkymedia-5

/etc/init.d/twonky start

You might want to compare the original twonkymedia-server.ini with the one from the v7 install (twonkyserver.ini)

I think I just updated contentbase parameter

Hope that helps.

Just tried your method & believe the relinking will work nicely.  Just did the relinking to the old version (5.1.9) as unable to get v7 to access my files.

I was able to have v7 “run” but the only thing I could do was to use the internet radio; v7, in my case, didn’t see my files.

I tried adding more links to the same filenames on v5 which also didn’t work; I do see that the .ini file is different from what you listed.  What firmware of MBL are you using before the v7?  Mine is at 129, the latest.

It may be that different versions of firmware has a “slightly” different twonky init?  My twonkymedia-server-default.ini has the “default” whereas your listing don’t have that; some other files are named differently as v7 “cut down” the file names from my v5.

Will check more tomorrow, probably adding all the stuff missing from v7’s ini to see if it works or not; at least the relinking is a great idea but will download the 6.0.39 “just in case”.

Got Twonky 7.0.5 running & seeing my music; will checkout the video later.

My problem was that the linkage to the ini file as the new ini is twonky.ini; or that I renamed/deleted the “/usr/local/sbin/writeWriteTwonkyContentDir.sh” ( I just renamed it to  “/usr/local/sbin/writeWriteTwonkyContentDir.sh.old” as was in the instr for upgrading from 5.x to 6.x.

Whatever, it looks like it also works.

On a sidelight, I no longer have any problems with accessing Twonky (no more rebooting) to play music files; it was operator error (me).  When I changed the router, I found that the AVR had the internet connection as “manual” when I can swear on a stack of bibles, korans, buddha scriptures, etc that I had set it to dhcp as the default.  Also the 90 min limit after midnight &/or noon was because of my having activated the “sleep” option (will definitely wear my reading glasses when playing with the buttons).

All is well; have 3 versions of Twonky & can change to any version at any time for whatever reason.  Will probably “reinstall” when I do the next firmware upgrade as have read that the firmware includes Twonky…

Could someone tell me the advantages of upgrading from 5.1.9 to 7.0.5, please? I’ve been reading the release notes but I don’t think most of them apply to the MBL (stuff like “new MAC installer” for example…)

I just would like to know if it’s worth the trouble (and the money)

Jagermeister wrote:

Could someone tell me the advantages of upgrading from 5.1.9 to 7.0.5, please? I’ve been reading the release notes but I don’t think most of them apply to the MBL (stuff like “new MAC installer” for example…)

I just would like to know if it’s worth the trouble (and the money)

I went back to 6.0.39.  I think the MBL will keep the connection to Twonky’s site if one “registers” for additional “capabilities”; this was probably why the MBL won’t go to sleep anymore.  In theory, I guess that one can use Twonky’s site to access one’s files on the MBL.  There wasn’t any additional features that warranted having the MBL constantly connected.

My MBL only sleep on occassion now, not like back with 5.1.9.  The only thing is that I just hoped that the 6.0.39 also fixed what bugs were in 5.1.9; the additional feature in 6.0.39 is the ability to access internet radio, Shoutcast, which I don’t need, but may be useful to some.

So, if you don’t need Shoutcast via MBL, staying with 5.1.9 if fine as the 5.x didn’t display anything more than 6.x other than the Shoutcast; even 7.x didn’t improve how I want to access my MBL music.  I had my 6.x license before 7.x was available for nas use & 7.x did recognize the license without any need to reenter it.