Need help pulling files off old WD TV Live Hub hard drive

I have a bunch of old files and photos on my WD TV Live Hub. I’m having the hardest time figuring out how to retrieve my files. A few things I’ve tried:

1. It doesn’t seem to connect to my home network. I use the Google WiFi mesh. I’ve tried plugging it into the ethernet port of the wifi mesh hub and it isn’t accessible on my network.

2. I plugged it via HDMI to a spare computer monitor. It still works! And my files are there! But I still can’t move them off.

3. I popped off the lid, took out the hard drive, and used a SCSI to USB cord to hook it up to my laptop. I get a “the media is write protected” error in windows and it won’t even let me view the files.

Any tips?? Thanks!!

1. Try connecting it directly into a Router via Ethernet … and not a Wifi mesh
  1. Try “copying” them instead of “moving” them

You need a USB to SATA Adaptor … not a SCSI Adaptor.

If your PC recognizes the drive perform a diagnostic eg. CrystalDiskInfo

to determine if the HDD has Bad Sectors or Incorrectable Errors.

If it does, then that’s not good. Last resort to get your photos back would be a Data Recovery Service … but, that’ll cost you $$$

1 Like

Thanks. I got it to work. Originally, I was trying to do this on my work laptop. I switched over to my personal laptop and it worked just fine. Perhaps something was restricted on my work laptop??

But yes, USB → SATA did the trick. I misspoke.