Need help playing .mp4 file

Hey guys i have the WD live plus box and it plays all files perferctly except for certain .mp4 files which give me a message that the file is not supported please check your user manual. Attached is the mediainfo details of the file. Any help would be appreciated.

[Deleted]

That’s totally unreadable…

ok then which format should i give it in?

[Edited]

I am unable to play any mp4 files encoded by the group COMPULSiON.

I’ve looked at details of files I can play and files I can’t side by side and can’t see anything obvious.

It must be something subtle about the way COMPULSiON encode them.

It’s a non-compliant MP4.  

Its codec type is AVC (which is a subtype of h.264 / MPEG4)

The profile encoded is High@L3.1, which is limited to 3 reference frames at that resolution, but that video is encoded with 5.

… and if they can’t get THAT right, who knows what else is messed up…

ok so that file would not play i would have to convert it to get it to play on my wd live?

LOL, the “scene” **bleep** yet again.

TonyPh12345 wrote:

It’s a non-compliant MP4.  

Its codec type is AVC (which is a subtype of h.264 / MPEG4)

The profile encoded is High@L3.1, which is limited to 3 reference frames at that resolution, but that video is encoded with 5.

… and if they can’t get THAT right, who knows what else is messed up…

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/H.264/MPEG-4_AVC suggests maximum reference frames is calculated using the formula:

Min(Floor(MaxDpbMbs / (PicWidthInMbs * FrameHeightInMbs)), 16)

Which equates to:

Min(Floor(18000 / ((720 * 404)/256)), 16)

Which gives a result of 15, not 3.  Hence there is no issue having 5 references frames at this resolution encoded at level 3.1.

Ooopsie!  You’re right;  I missed my math!!  

Sorry to dig up an old thread, however is this something that WD can add into the support of the player to play these files that may have not been ripper/recorded properly?

Would be nice for these files to play on the WD devices.

IMHO, Expecting firmware to compensate, or “fix” error-ridden media files so that hardware decoders can fix them is about the same as expecting a media player to make video out of a text file.

I totally agree with you, however as a consumer it would be nice to just press the buttone and it works. I was wondering if this was a possibility to see if WD could help to mitigate issues by supporting ploblem files like so many have raised before.

Do we know what is the exact cause of these files not being able to play on the WD TV Live units? I have read maybe the AAC encoding. 

Look.  Forget the legal / ethical part of the story.    

Garbage pirated videos downloaded from the internet is just that – garbage.  One gets what one pays for.