NAS --> USB and USB --> NAS

i have a complete and verified backup of all my shares on USB using the WD App USB Backup (on the EX2 Ultra).

i am prepared to do a drive swap on the NAS, before doing so i wanted to know:

would using the App’s “Recover” feature work well for restoring the contents of all the shares i backed up onto the new drives ? the drives are new unused, so when i put them in i will create a new RAID and the only shares i think that will generate are Public.

would rsync be a better choice instead of doing it via the App ? i think rsync provides checksumming during the copy process, i am not sure what file copy method is used by the USB Backup app and do not know if it checksums the files it copies.

Hello,

Please refer to the following KBA article: My Cloud: RAID Online User Guide and Solutions

thats a good list of resources, thank you.

where can i give feedback concerning my experiences with WD’s apps for My Cloud devices ?

just revisiting this thread to ask …

i want to replicate the USB Backup task using a script I can save somewhere on the NAS. Want to do this in order to tweak options for the rsync operation.

when ssh’d into the NAS, using the top command I am able to see rsync running and i figured out that the USB Backup job that is setup via the dashboard actually runs seperate rsync jobs for each share in succession. this means that when rsync is done running for one share, another rsync job is started automatically to backup the next share (when you have multiple shares chosen as your source in the app).

how can I create a script to store somewhere locally on my NAS, so that I can do this via SSH manually ?

as opposed to issuing the command for each share manually, i want to make a script to run several rsyncs in succession when i execute the script …

here is the rsync operation that USB Backup app creates for a single share:

rsync --timeout=60 --job-name=NAS_BACKUP2!_usb -rlptDHq --delete /mnt/HD/HD_a2/share1/ /mnt/USB/USB1_d1/NAS_BACKUP2/share1

in the above, the destination USB1_d1 denotes the specific USB device that’s connected to a port on the back of the NAS (not a USB device connected to the router).