NAS not showing up with new router

Dear all,

I have a WD my book live 3TB. It was attached to my router. It all worked. Recently I bought a new router. Nothing has changed (not the cables), only the new router. It is a TL-WR1043ND.

I tried installing the setup on my computer. The setup was searching for the NAS device, but couldn’t find it. It also doesn’t show up in Windows Explorer. The device showed a constant green light. When I turned it off and on again it first showed a yellow light (for 2 minutes) and then a flasing green light (the same green light as it did when it just worked, but now constantly flashing).

Anyone else had this problem? How can I solve it? Your help is really appreciated!

Regards,

Jos

Is your MBL set to DHCP or Static in the Networking section?  It needs to be set to DHCP.  Read the owner’s manual if you don’t know how to change the setting.

Then power down your MBL and reboot your router.  Then power up your MBL.  Your router has to assign a new IP address to the MBL and give the MBL a DNS address.   If your MBL is set to DHCP, then the router will assign teh new IP and DNS.

2 Likes

Hello WDlive76. At first, thank you for your quick repsonse. I  checked the manual, but cannot find it. Only 5 references to DHCP. Also I cannot adjust the NAS in any way. I cannot find it in Windows Explorer or via Filezilla. It just doesn’t show up. I don’t know how to put it in DHCP mode, if I cannot login to the device.

MiracleTostie wrote:

Hello WDlive76. At first, thank you for your quick repsonse. I  checked the manual, but cannot find it. Only 5 references to DHCP. Also I cannot adjust the NAS in any way. I cannot find it in Windows Explorer or via Filezilla. It just doesn’t show up. I don’t know how to put it in DHCP mode, if I cannot login to the device.

You must reset it using the pinhole on teh back.  Look at the manual for how to reset it and what the default pwrd will be afterwards.  OR you could hook it back up to your old router and you most likley would be able to access it there to make the change to the DHCP.

Hello,

If I reset it, will all my content be gone?

Regards

MiracleTostie wrote:

Hello,

If I reset it, will all my content be gone?

Regards

What does the manual say?

No. all your data will still be there.

Ye, RTFM, I know. :stuck_out_tongue:

I wanted to let you know that it worked! I plugged in my old router and suddenly the MBL turned up in my network. I was able to access it and set it to DHCP. I plugged in my new router and there it was in my new network.

I’d like to thank you for your patience and time.

Regards,

Jos

Glad it worked.

It’s a good idea to have a static IP address assigned to the MBL, BUT it is best practice to do the assignment in your router interface and not in the MBL UI.  Go into your new router’s web -interface and find where you can set IP reservations and reserve a static IP for the MAC of your MBL.

1 Like

Hello wdlive76 and others.

Your suggestion to not make my MBL a static ip adres in it’s own settings in stead of in the router fixed a lot more problems!:smiley:

After I’d put my NAS device (MBL) to a static ip adress, it started giving these error messages. For example it gave error mesage 31652 when trying to generate a code for a device and error message 31602 when trying to generate web access. It also didn’t want to search for firmware. So basically the internet access on MBL went down when trying to put it on a static ip adress in the setting of the MBL itself.

You suggested to reserve an ip adress in my router for it, which I did. The ip adress was 192.168.0.102. Then I went to my router, went to reservation and filled in the MAC adress which is shown in the “network” option of the device. After that I filled in the ip adress which I wanted for it. I thought it would be nice to have the same ip adress as it already had. So I filled in 192.168.0.102. So with my devices MAC adress combined with the ip adress, my MBL had a static ip adress in the router.

I went back to the settings on MBL and turned static to DHCP. After that everything worked! No more error messages, generating codes was easy, I got easy access to WD photos (app), etc. So again, basically putting the device in static will make the device cause error messages.

So what you are saying is true! Do NOT put the MBL on static in its own setting, but make a reservation in your router. This fixed the error messages for me.

Again, thank you so much!

Regards,

Jos

Glad it worked!

Many thanks for your gratefulness.  It is only your (and others) gratitude which motivates me to come to this forum to help other users.   I’ve had WD NAS products for about 12 years now and I’ve learned alot about them; in particular how to hack them to make them very robust.  All of my learnings came from reading the wikidot forum and this forum.  There isn’t much that hasn’t been asked or hasn’t been discussed in these two forums. I rarely ever had to ask questions since search function found the answers very easily.

About the Static IP.  There are two reasons why the change to router based static IP improved your situation. First is that there is a high probabliy that the static settings in the MBL Network GUI were wrong - wrong DNS in particular.  The second is that by assigning a Static IP at the router level you might giving the MBL ‘trusted device’ status with the router which means less interference from the router firewall and other security.

Another good practice with static IPs is to assign static IPs to all the devices on your network. Then if an unauthorized device ever gets on your network, you can easily identify it in the router DHCP table since it will have a dynamic IP that you have not accounted for.

1 Like

The fact that it might go easier through the firewall could very well be true.

Also, I see a lot of error posts. I’ve seen about 3 articels about error code 31602 and 31652. Those issues could be solved using the method you explained to me. So I tried to reply to those posts, only I do not think I am allowed. Which is a shame. If we can help people that way, then we should. Maybe you could react to them as well? Even though these posts are from 2012 and 2014.

Again, thanks.

Regards,

Jos

Thank you, thank you, thank you! I wish this answer were easier to find - I’ve been struggling with this issue for awhile - had kept an old router around because I couldn’t get the MyCloud to show up on the new router! You’re the best!

Thank you (3 year later). I bought a new TP-Link AX1500 and this helped me get my My Cloud 3TB back online.