NAS and Wd TV?

I want to set up my home movies on a NAS source (with a static IP) so that I can access them anywhere. I would love to be able to take a WDTV to my parents house and show them videos. Is this possible with the WDTV? Can I just set up an acess point and have it browse my home network?

Any help would be great. I am still learning how to set this all up. 

You mean you want to take your WDTV to one place, and leave the NAS at another place, and have only the INTERNET between them?

No, that’s not possible without LOTS of work.

Explain your reply TonyPh, please. I must be missing something. My WDTV Live is in my living room & my NAS is in my bedroom. They work together fine.

Essentially what he was saying, that it is POSSIBLE to do what your asking but it requires medium-advanced networking knoweledge and a fair bit of effort. The device is designed to work only on your local network. If you want to take your WD TV with you, your best bet is to get something like a Passport and copy your movies to it - you can access them locally wherever you are so you don’t need to take the NAS with you.

Chuckster679 wrote:

Explain your reply TonyPh, please. I must be missing something. My WDTV Live is in my living room & my NAS is in my bedroom. They work together fine.

Yes but your NAS is in the same house as your WDTV Live, the poster wanted to take the WDTV Live to his parents house.

Right…   Unless one sets up a VPN (Virtual Private Network) between the two endpoints in such a way that both homes then appear to be on the same LAN, it’s not going to be able to even FIND the NAS, because all the WDTV protocols require BROADCASTS to function.

There’s all kinds of ways of making it happen, but it’s not something most people could arrange, and would likely cost significant time and/or money to set such an arrangement up. 

Never mind. I get the idea now. I overlooked the notion of the NAS being in a different place altogether from the WDTV.