- Network connection is lost intermittently without explanation.
- System shutdown lasts indefinitely, which means having to remove power and then wait for a VERY long integrity check, both with and without USB drives attached to the unit.
- Web interface hangs after about 1-2 minutes of use, if that long, so I can’t even get to the setup page in an effort to enable SSH and access the device via a terminal session.
- Device responds to pings consistently.
- Device does not respond to a “wake” command from WD software client, although it sometimes will (at least) be detected by the client as being present on the network.
Configuration details (4x4TB, from factory):
a) Drives are not set to sleep.
b) Firmware is latest version as of 3DEC2015.
c) Connection (in an effort to aid troubleshooting) is direct between Mac and device (both with static IPs in same subnet, e.g., 192.168.x.x/24. Normally, I connect directly to a 1G port on my Netgear R8000 firewall/WAP).
d) 500GB of storage in use – irreplaceable data if forced to reset the unit to factory defaults
e) Ethernet settings are 1000M/Full. (Auto-negotiate is not desirable, as often this results in a duplex mismatch anyway.)
f) Attempting web interface access via both Safari and Chrome. (And before you claim the problem is Chrome, let’s not forget that Chrome represents nearly 70% of the browser market as of November, 2015.)
I’m a network engineer (CCNP, etc.), with 23 years of networking experience - IOW, I know my way around the technical aspects of things.) The device is less than six months old, purchased from Amazon.)
HELP! Please, WD. You marketed this device with claims of support for IP cameras via a third party app that was never made available. In short, I’m beginning to think purchasing this unit was a mistake, particularly since you cannot provide (1) consistent performance (if any performance at all), or (2) support the functions advertised. What gives? My professional opinion at this point is that this box is a POS, especially given the price I paid for it.