MyPassport not able to show files

Hi there.

Since a couple of years (+2 easy), I was using more than fine, a WD Elements Portable 1TB.

From nothing, it stopped from showing on my notebook. The only noticeable change was, I had to bought a new cable because the old one was loosy (I have to bend it somehow in order to connect properly).

From this point, I have made different tests on different OS (Windows and Ubuntu)

Ubuntu

This is the output of fdisk -l

I reckon that the sdb1 it’s for the external disk

Disk /dev/sda: 149,1 GiB, 160041885696 bytes, 312581808 sectors Units: sectors of 1 * 512 = 512 bytes Sector size (logical/physical): 512 bytes / 512 bytes I/O size (minimum/optimal): 512 bytes / 512 bytes Disklabel type: dos Disk identifier: 0x8194093d

Device Boot Start End Sectors Size Id Type /dev/sda1 * 2048 304390143 304388096 145,1G 83 Linux /dev/sda2 304392190 312580095 8187906 3,9G 5 Extended /dev/sda5 304392192 312580095 8187904 3,9G 82 Linux swap / Solaris

Disk /dev/sdb: 931,5 GiB, 1000170586112 bytes, 1953458176 sectors Units: sectors of 1 * 512 = 512 bytes Sector size (logical/physical): 512 bytes / 512 bytes I/O size (minimum/optimal): 512 bytes / 512 bytes Disklabel type: dos Disk identifier: 0x00023f15 Device Boot Start End Sectors Size Id Type /dev/sdb1 * 2048 1953458175 1953456128 931,5G 7 HPFS/NTFS/exFAT

I’ve already try in all 3 usb ports The External HDD light blinks makes “a work like” sound Reboot laptop, but nothing

lsblk
NAME MAJ:MIN RM SIZE RO TYPE MOUNTPOINT
sda 8:0 0 149,1G 0 disk
├─sda1 8:1 0 145,1G 0 part /
├─sda2 8:2 0 1K 0 part
└─sda5 8:5 0 3,9G 0 part [SWAP]
sdb 8:16 0 931,5G 0 disk
└─sdb1 8:17 0 931,5G 0 part
sr0 11:0 1 1024M 0 rom

sudo mount -t exFAT /dev/sdb1 /mnt
mount: unknown filesystem type ‘exFAT’

sudo mount -t ntfs /dev/sdb1 /mnt/
ntfs_mst_post_read_fixup_warn: magic: 0x44414142 size: 1024
usa_ofs: 8572 usa_count: 29550: Invalid argument
Record 0 has no FILE magic (0x44414142)
Failed to load $MFT: Input/output error
Failed to mount ‘/dev/sdb1’: Input/output error
NTFS is either inconsistent, or there is a hardware fault, or it’s a
SoftRAID/FakeRAID hardware. In the first case run chkdsk /f on Windows
then reboot into Windows twice. The usage of the /f parameter is very
important! If the device is a SoftRAID/FakeRAID then first activate
it and mount a different device under the /dev/mapper/ directory, (e.g.
/dev/mapper/nvidia_eahaabcc1). Please see the ‘dmraid’ documentation
for more details.

unplugged disk
ls /dev/ | grep sd
sda
sda1
sda2
sda5

plugged disk

ls /dev/ | grep sd
sda
sda1
sda2
sda5
sdb
sdb1

Windows

It is recognized by the OS; and if the driver is not installed it will installed.
From My Computer, it is shown that a Disk is attached but it does not show any space usage.
Also, I can not defrag or scan check, and it suggests that I have to format the disk
From Device Manager the disk is shown ok without any warnings or errors

In both scenarios, the white led from the disk it’s on and it blinks when “it works” and you can hear slightly how the disk is working.

Any help?

regards!

Hi ekelevra,

Probably you would need to diagnose the drive on your Windows computer for any error.

Hi Peter, thanks for the reply.

How do I do that? Downloading WD Drive Utilities for Windows from the link on your signature? Or which is the correct WD App to diagnose it?

Cheers

Yes. You may use either of the software. Windows Data Life Guard or WD Drive utility to diagnose the drive.

Well, I’ve tried both

WD Drive Utilities

Smart Test Approved

I couldn’t try Check Unity and Full unity integrity as they both gave me
an error (just error on test, nothing more)

WD Diagnostics
Quick Test

Quick Test on drive 2 did not complete!
Status code = 07 Failed read test element, Failure Checkpoint = 97
(Unkown Test)
Smart self-test did not complete on drive2!

ExtendedTest

After almost two days of running, it said it fails because of bad disk sectors. I select “Repair”, it pass the Test, but the disk it is with the same issue as always.

Any ideas?

Hi ekelevra ,

It seems like your drive has gone bad. If your drive is in under warranty you can go ahead and create thr RMA for the drive.

Please refer to the link given below in order to create the RMA for the drive.

Peter, thanks for the reply.

My disk is not under warranty anymore.

Right now, I’m trying to use recovery software to recover as much as I can from it.

I thinking in formatting the disk as for what I think, the format tables are corrupt. Do you know how to format? Is there any .iso from the disks to format it?

Cheers

Hi ekelevra ,

You can format the drive using WD Drive Utilities for Windows.

Please follow the link given below in order to download WD Drive Utilities for Windows.

Peter,
Thanks a lot. I’ve managed with photorec to recover several data that I had on the disk.

I also formatted the disk with WD software and now it mounts as new.

Last question (I hope)
Do you know from where can I download the backup soft that came from default on the disk?

Cheers

Download & install crystaldiskinfo free version on windows.It is a S.M.A.R.T. values monitoring tool(similar utilities exist for linux too). Check the current & worst values for all parameters.If any of them are very close to threshold value or have already gone below threshold value then your hdd is at the end of its life.

I am new and don’t know if I need to start a new thread or what. Since I can not find where to start a new thread, I will jump on this one. I have a brand new out of the box 2T portable drive. I tried to back up my computer to it. 1st it says there is not enough space. I find it highly unlikely, since I do not have 2T worth of data. 2nd, I tried to use the WD software and my backup tab is greyed out. It only shows dropbox. I want to back up all my data from my “C”, “E” and “Z” drives. It still won’t do anything.

After login just click on “new topic” on top right just below the search icon.

Open My Computer & if it is win 7/8.1/10 then it should show you the used space & free space for each drive.Check if total of all internal drives is less than 2TB.**Also a very important thing to note is that PC works on binary system in which instead of 1000 a factor of 1024 is used so 1TB(in pc data)=1024GB & not 1000GB.Similarly all the hard disks sold in the market are binary system based so 2TB(advertised size of hard disk)=1863GB & not 2048GB.**So your 2TB hdd can only save upto 1863GB of data.

Here you have, how bad is it? It looks like it is near the end

Reallocated sectors count is a very important value.Raw value indicates how many sectors which were found bad by HDD were reallocated(all HDDs have some spare sectors which can be used to replace bad sectors).In your case this value is 1 so it is not that bad.However even a value of 1 is enough to start treating this HDD with caution & not to trust it much.Try running this command in windows command prompt window(run or search for cmd):
chkdsk Drive letter: /f
e.g.if this drive is set as E then command would be:
chkdsk E: /f

As a precaution,backup data on this HDD to some other HDD(or at least important data).Also edit your image to remove the serial number of HDD.I will see if the above post can be reported to a mod for editing & removing serial no. from pic.

Sorry late reply.

Ok, I run it chkdsk and it says a lot of info and, that windows did not found any errors. So…what’s your opinion doc? I’m still checking all the info that I had recovered and it’s in my plan to get another External HDD to have another backup just in case.

PS: I’d delete the image from here.