MyNet900 Central USB To Internal HDD Speed

Seem to be having problems with usb to internal hard drive of router or vise versa copying. i have the newest 1.06.28. i rebooted the router through the dashboard which to me is the safest way, like a computer its better to restart the computer on the start menu rather than just pushing the power button. im getting tops 3 mega bytes per second and bottom low at 300 kilo bytes per second. i used to have alot of problems with over heating and in return locking up wireless broadcasts and wired devices. also i cant get into dashboard when it locks up which i see everyone has problems with in the past but this new firmware version is pretty stable for that maybe because the fan is actually working now. i used the laptop cooler method by taking a processor heatsink fan and putting little feet on them and then using gatorade bottle caps as feet for the router and i have it usb powered to a phone charger with usb plug, so its always running to try to pull the warm air out of the router even tho im pretty sure the routers interal fan intake room air through router and through its breather holes on the outer edges of router. the router is a monster with many good features if working at optimum potenial, but it needs extensive firmware fixes that should have been tested and tested until it was good enough for consumer use. 184 dollars is a lot for a router but the idea of concealing a 2.5" 2tb hardrive in a router is awesome, but it should be practical and reliable. i also can’t use WD2GO mobile app. keep getting error 904 “network connection failure.” but i can get the email access to work. tried refreashing the data base in the remote access tab in dash board but get “internal error 505.” tried uninstalling mobile app then taking battery out of phone to clear that it was uninstalled and reinstalling it but same thing. tried turning off the firewall in the security tab in dashboard and that didnt work. i tried turning off enhanced WMM and that didnt work. in the addtional features tab and on port forwarding i see the wd2go listed and its on port 80. im stumped & would like some help if there are some people who know about the topic that went into another topic haha. one more thing, is that i just bought a 60" samsung 3d smart tv and want to use all share to stream whats on the router storage and or the usb storage from the tv. i can only play whats on the pc to play on tv via allshare. anyway of fixing this in smb or coming up with a samsung app like seagate does for thier cloud storage/dlna compatible. i can see mynet900 on the tv but wont let me access any of the files. 

Have you tried transferring files from another USB memory to verify if you get the same transfer rate? 

why would i want to do that. its a 1tb “930gb actual” usb 3.0 seagate hard drive. its copying/moving from usb hard drive to router internal drive and vise versa. from what i know i should be getting a max of 35 megabytes a second. no where near what im actualy getting.

I think the point was to rule out there’s an issue with the seagate USB drive itself. This router’s USB port is 2.0 but for routers there’s generally a limitation with the router’s SoC as routing is its primary focus. Is the Samsung TV able to see the folders under the router? I had some DLNA clients that couldn’t see some files but its the client problem that doesn’t support many codecs and file extensions.

yes i can see the folders on the tv but it wont let me access anything after that. ill try some other usb storage but if its 3.0 then i dont see why it shows speeds so low, i know the routers usb is 2.0 but i should be getting mid teens to in the 20’s in megabytes a second. if its a router and cloud storage, has a hard drive in it and a usb for more storage it should be able to function the way every detail is given on this product. i bought it because it sounded to good to be true and obviously got released way to early before it was extensively tested and bugs worked out. not let us pay 280 for something that has alot of problems still

Hi beast2888, are you seeing 505 & 904 errors on the dashboard or on the mobile app ?

If errors are on the app side, what mobile device are you using ? is it on the both apps (WDPhotos and WD2go) ?

If errors are on dashboard, have you ever tried to disable (wait couple minutes) and re-enable Remote Access on the dashboard ?

Yes I am getting error 904 on mobile app and error 505 when I try to refresh the wd2go database in the dashboard. Ive tried disabling then renabling it but no change. Im gonna try disabling reboot then enable to see if that works. I even factory reset asettings n didnt do **bleep**. Need to figure out why my usb and internal hard drive write/copy speeds are 6mb/s max. Unrelated but id like to see my net ac1300 central

Hi Beast2888,

Did you try to transfer the files over network while the hard drive is connected to your computer instead of the router itself ? 

I’m asking because on my LaCie NAS, I could transfer files to the NAS over network at a 22MB/s speed, which I consider as satisfying. 

But if I connected the hard drive to the NAS via USB and did the same thing to transfer files from the USB drive to the internal hard drive of the NAS, I had really slow sppeds, as you have, at about 3.5MB/s for large files and about 1MB/s for smaller files. 

I guess this is normal as the USB transfer has to be handled over the network… which is probably a bottleneck :frowning:

Concerning the problem for your files not being accesible through your new TV, a question : hen you say that you can see the folders, are the folders you can see the ones you created yourself ? Just create a folder on your hard drive and name it whatever you want, but not “Music” or “Videos” or “Pictures”. Those folders are commonly cretaed by the multimedia server to share files over DLNA. 

If you then can see thefolder you created, cool, that’s a good thing :slight_smile: If not, then your TV can’t access to your hard drive. 

If you can see your own folder, just place a really common file into it, like a .mp3 tune. Can you see it ? Can you play it ? 

Regards. 

NetPenguin

yes i took the external and have it hooked up to pc and its running so much better. i had it this way before but if there is a usb on the router is should be fully functional. i found out that if i use the windows media player and load all my media onto it and share my devices that i can stream through windows media player server. another thing the router is supposed to do but clearly doesnt work so well on certain devices. they need a firmware that increases the throughput of the usb speeds.

beast2888 wrote:

yes i took the external and have it hooked up to pc and its running so much better. i had it this way before but if there is a usb on the router is should be fully functional. i found out that if i use the windows media player and load all my media onto it and share my devices that i can stream through windows media player server. another thing the router is supposed to do but clearly doesnt work so well on certain devices. they need a firmware that increases the throughput of the usb speeds.

I believe the bottle neck itself is the SMB protocol on the device. If you’re reading from a USB drive attached to the router and then writing to the internal drive of the router you’re doubling the time required (or <50% transfer rate) as opposed to transferring the content from the USB drive attached to PC to the internal drive. With SMB, you wont be going USB drive directly to internal drive. It will go from USB drive to PC and then PC to internal drive. Hopefully that clarifies the lower speeds.

yes that does clarify alot for me. do you think this can be addressed and made better with a firmware update or smb revision?

1 Like

Probably not, it’s usually a chipset limitation. I’ve used some other NAS devices and experienced the same low rates. Only when using some other built in file management features of the product such as a build in file manager could I transfer directly from the USB drive to the internal drive of the NAS.

so basically use a computer as a server to stream media. now if only the speeds in the internal drive could be better, is that a chip limitation or is the hardrive its self a bottleneck?

In this case I’d say chipset. Are you streaming a video via DLNA? Do you know the video’s bitrate? What’s the codec/extension and wireless or wired connection?