MyNet N900 WD PrintShare and Windows 10

Hello

How do I install WD Print Share on Windows 10 ?

I have just installed the free Windows 10, previously using Windows 7.  My N900 router is working mostly OK with Windows 10 ie internet and e3mail access OK, files on the hard drive OK, but I cant access my printer.

I have a Canon MP160 printer connected to the USB port on the N900.  Always worked OK on windows 7 using WD PrintShare.

But Windows 10 gives an error message when it finds WD PrintShare installed, never mind if it is in use or not.

So the reccommendation I got from a couple of web searches was to remove it.  So I did.  But I cant access my printer now using the Windows reccommended methods of installing a network printer ( ie use the wizard )

So I try to install the WD Print Share.  But when I click on the .msi file it gives me error messages

“Failed to Install ISKernel Files. Make sure you have appropriate priveleges on this machine.”

So I try to run as administrator ( this is my personal PC so I am the administrator, not sure why the machine doesnt already know this ) but apparently you cant do that with .msi files.   So what do I do ?

Is there anyone else out there using Windows 10 and a printer on the USB port of the N900 ?

thanks

Robert

An update on my problem.

I found out how to install the WDPrintShare.msi file.  I had to run it with compatibilty setting for Prevous Version Of Windows.  ( Admin rights was not the problem after all).

So it is installed, but is giving me the same error message it was when I first installed Windows 10.

“Control Center installation is incomplete. Please install again”.

That error message comes up on Windows start up, and when I try to run the WDPrintShare application.

So how do I get WD Print Share to work on Windows 10 ?

Are there any people here using Windows 10 and WD PrintShare ?

thanks

Robert.

Welcome to the Community.

At this moment the application has not been updated for Windows 10, and as such the best alternative is to use the compatibility mode for an older version of Microsoft Windows.

Trancer

Good news and bad news.

First the bad news, compatability mode did not make any difference.

Now the good news.

When I turned on my PC this morning I got no error messges, and WD Print Share worked OK, I could connect to my printer.

Not sure what happened, maybe a Windows 10 Update changed something.

But I still could not print anything, I kept getting the error message about printer cannot communicate, please enable bi-directional communication.  But clicking the bi-directional printing box in printer settings would not “stick”, it would be unchecked again if you opened the properties later.

So the short answer was get a new driver.  I got a driver for my printer ( Canon MP160) from a website called DriverScape.com.  Installed it and now I can print. However I  cannot use the scanner, I need to keep looking for a better driver, but at least WD Print Share is working and I know what I need

Here is the longer answer that may interest anyone having this sort of problem :

When I had set up the printer in Windows 10 I used the recommended driver, the one in the drop down list for my printer.

But obviously it wasnt working so I clicked on the button to update the list of drivers, I thought maybe there might be more drivers available for my printer.  But when the new list came up, my printer was not on it any more !  The only thing | can think of is that the first list was not really a windows 10 list, but somehow my old windows 7 list, I dont know.   I went to the Canon website and looked for Windows 10 drivers for my printer, and they said they did not have one.  So I thought I was out of luck.  But when I did a web search I came across a site that claimed to have a Windows 10 MP160 driver.  I thought it must be a scam if Canon says they dont have one, but I tried it and it works better than nothing, although it does not operate the scanner.

Robert

just an update on this.

I had many other problems with Windows 10, not just this one.  Also, I just didnt like it.  So I went back to Windows 7 and all my network printer / scanner problems are solved.

Not sure what the answer is for those who want to stay wtih Windows 10 however.