MyCloud Keeps Dying

What seems like every single day, my device ceases to work. All SMB mounts cease to work (seizing up my server), and I can’t access the web ui. I have to unplug and replug it.
This is really getting ridiculous. Has anyone experienced this? It is a little over a year old. Should I RMA it? What steps should I take?

When you say unplug and replug. Do you mean power or network cable.

I unplug the power.

What firmware version? When you get access back. SSH into the device and check the logs.

I had an issue with SMB crashing. Problem went away when I turned off media server. Apache used to crash on a regular basis as well. Haven’t had a crash since I turned off media server.

I think the problem was the MyCloud got too busy scanning and SMB and apache would timeout.

I’ve no proof of this just what I did to solve the problem.

Of course you can SSH into the mycloud and restart SMB and apache.

I have Gen 1.

Firmware 2.30.165. Which logs do should I check? mycloud.log, wdmcserver.log?

I thought I had it off, but I just turned it off now. We will see how this turns out.

I reviewed Samba and Apache2 logs. There were some error messages referring to Timeouts. Here is a link to another gthread about this. Apache Service failing - #14 by rjw365

You can ssh into the device. cd to /usr/local/config. Then grep -i error *.log
This will display all of the different error messages logged.

“/usr/local/config” doesn’t have any logs in it. “/var/logs” does, though I see nothing regarding what caused it to crash, only that now there is a disk error (recent development, last couple days).

You must be running firmware V4. The logs in the /usr/local/config are on the V2 firmware. If you think
it is SMB then the logs for that are in /var/logs/samba. Try the grep on them.

There is nothing of note in the Samba logs. They were just about empty, and no errors.

Before you unplug the device. When the SMB mounts fail. Can you ping the device? Can you SSH into the device?